PDA

View Full Version : Garage Heat

Pages : [1] 2

imported_TSC17
08-02-2001, 10:21 PM
hey, guys how can you tell the difference between AIO and SG on the car?

any texture or gloss or shine differences?

becasue I want to beable to tell when I need additional SG over AIO.

Michael H
08-02-2001, 11:02 PM
Klasse AIO has a cleaning agent SG does not. AIO is also a bit easy to apply and remove. In terms of finish it is almost impossible to tell difference as they are very similar products. SG allows layering and AIO will not (because of the cleaner)

[Edited by Michael H on 08-02-2001 at 09:15 PM]

Dark Silver
08-03-2001, 01:05 AM
Yes, the SG will layer, noticeably deeper each coat until you have a shine that will easily contrast itself from AIO alone. I like it.

EclecTech
11-02-2009, 07:50 PM
What do our northern climate members use during the winter months to bring their garages to a temperature where a warm water ONR wash is possible? Thanks.

Jack

imported_Luster
11-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Not exactly a northern climate, but we definitely have some COLD winters here in KC!

I have a fairly small garage (22x26) and I use a wall-mounted quartz electric heater. I turn it on about 15 minutes before I need to go out and do an ONR wash.

Works very well and it`s only on for about 30 minutes so no concern about consuming lots of power!

Looks similar to this:

http://www.kotulas.com/wcsstore/KOTStore/images/product/700093_lg.jpg

Edit: My garage door also faces north so it gets PRETTY DANG COLD IN THERE!!!!:scared:

imported_TLMitchell
11-02-2009, 10:58 PM
What do our northern climate members use during the winter months to bring their garages to a temperature where a warm water ONR wash is possible? Thanks.

Jack

I had a gas radiant unit in the garage in a previous house. It took the chill off but left a lot to be desired. When I built the new Lair in the Woods I spent more time planning the garage than the rest of the house. Mucho insulation, door sweeps all around, drains, hot n cold, basin, multiple hose bibs... hey, it`s not just a garage, it`s a room in my house!

The heating contractor said the 900 sq ft called for 50,000 BTUs. When I went to pick up the Reznor ceiling-mounted heater I discovered it was a measely $25 more for a 75,000 BTU unit. Done deal! :biggrin:

I hadn`t planned on heating the garage full-time however I discovered that thermostats only go down to 40 degrees and the el-cheapo that got installed didn`t have a shutoff on it. Worked out pretty good though.... it doesn`t run much when the doors stay closed and it`s nice to go out in the morning and find the melted snow and crud coming off the cars went down the drains. Wick it up to 60 - 65 degrees when I want to work out there and it`s warmed up in 15 or 20 minutes.

Scraping windows and getting into a cold car on a sub-zero morning is barbaric, auto car-starters notwithstanding.

TL

imported_99tl
11-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Not exactly a northern climate, but we definitely have some COLD winters here in KC!

I have a fairly small garage (22x26) and I use a wall-mounted quartz electric heater. I turn it on about 15 minutes before I need to go out and do an ONR wash.

Works very well and it`s only on for about 30 minutes so no concern about consuming lots of power!

Edit: My garage door also faces north so it gets PRETTY DANG COLD IN THERE!!!!:scared:

Just curious how cold it gets and how much it warms up with this unit?

imported_Luster
11-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Just curious how cold it gets and how much it warms up with this unit?

It will usually be about 15 degrees warmer than the outside temp in winter... so if it`s 32 outside, it will be 47 in the garage. After using the heater for 15 minutes it will raise the temp to about 65 degrees. (Closer to the door... and the wind... is not as warm).

The heat is not particularly even, as it would be with forced air gas, but it does the job for ONR washes, QD`s and an occasional waxing or sealing.

Gets me by until spring!:cornut:

imported_99tl
11-03-2009, 03:45 PM
It will usually be about 15 degrees warmer than the outside temp in winter... so if it`s 32 outside, it will be 47 in the garage. After using the heater for 15 minutes it will raise the temp to about 65 degrees. (Closer to the door... and the wind... is not as warm).

The heat is not particularly even, as it would be with forced air gas, but it does the job for ONR washes, QD`s and an occasional waxing or sealing.

Gets me by until spring!:cornut:

:thumbup: It might be just what I need. Any special installation? Just a standard outlet?

imported_RaskyR1
11-03-2009, 04:49 PM
My garage is 25` x 25` and although I have a nice gas heater hanging in my shop, I have yet to actually run the gas and exhaust for it. :D

I have been using two electric heaters like Bill posted above for the last two MN winters. It easily heats my garage to a good 60-65 degrees on a cold winter day...my garage is pretty well insulated too though.

You can see my gas heater in this pic as well as my two electric heaters. ;)

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/shop/IMG_0504.jpg

Husker Z
11-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I actually have a duct run that feeds my upper level bedrooms and there are two registers coming off of that into the garage. I keep them sealed up all year long with the exception of winter time. I like to keep the garage in the 50`s or 60`s all winter long, it helps keep my hardwood floors upstairs warmer and also eliminates those cold starts on my vehicles.

imported_RaskyR1
11-03-2009, 05:21 PM
I also have a gas heater in my other garage...the "Hot Dawg" :D

It`s very similar to the one in my shop but its natural gas instead of propane. Heats up the garage in minutes and will get 85 in there if I let it. I use this more for ORNing my own car in the winter simply because it heats so much faster and gets warmer...I really do need to hook up my other one. :rolleyes:

http://www.hotfrog.com/Uploads/PressReleases/Hot-Dawg-Garage-Heater-21821_image.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/Raskyr1/Si/gargae.jpg?t=1257286783

imported_Luster
11-03-2009, 05:26 PM
I actually have a duct run that feeds my upper level bedrooms and there are two registers coming off of that into the garage. I keep them sealed up all year long with the exception of winter time. I like to keep the garage in the 50`s or 60`s all winter long, it helps keep my hardwood floors upstairs warmer and also eliminates those cold starts on my vehicles.

I could do that quite easliy. Excellent plan!

Garages used to be heated and air conditioned with actual vents that came off the main HVAC system until city building codes administrators decided that people would warm up their cars in the garage and fumes would get into the house through the return air system and kill someone.

(Pet peeve, don`t get me started. Codes admistration... helping us all for the common good.)

EclecTech
11-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I`m hoping an electric quartz heater will do the trick.

Floor drain, running hot and cold water, and furnace sized heater... I`d say TL is ready for winter. :thumbup:

Jack

imported_TLMitchell
11-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Floor drain, running hot and cold water, and furnace sized heater... I`d say TL is ready for winter. :thumbup:

Jack

Hey, it`s the Ohio snowbelt. If I`m gonna be hunkered down until April I might as well be able to entertain myself in the Garage Mahal. :biggrin: