PDA

View Full Version : Up on the roof....

Pages : [1] 2

jr weeks
08-02-2001, 04:01 PM
Detailed a `99 Park Avenue yesterday , and the rear bumper had some serious etching, like a runoff trail from the flat part of the painted urethane bumper and down the backside. I felt it and could tell immediately it was a done deal, seriously etched, repaint time. Anyway, since there was little I could do, I completed the detail, had the woman look it over, then went my merry way. Got a call from her today . She asked if I had missed it. No , I told her I sure didn`t /couldn`t miss it, but there was nothing I could do( she asked "couldn`t you buff that out" LOL -the panacea for EVERYTHING!)and asked her if she knew what caused that. She told me she had spilled milk a while back and left it sit there, that she should`ave wiped it but didn`t.

I know what eggs can do, but I was honestly unaware milk could eat away clearcoat this way. Live and learn. Anyone heard of this?

JasonC8301
08-02-2001, 06:32 PM
I was thinking milk could be really safe for paint, but if let cured and sit on the paint i think the organiz/enzyme reaction does something.

Like rubbing meat tenderizer on a animal/insect bite to soothe the pain.

jr weeks
08-02-2001, 06:41 PM
I was thinking about the enzymes too. Pretty amazing really. I just never heard this one before. Dan H

DaGonz
08-02-2001, 07:24 PM
we should pour Klasse and Zaino on our breakfast cereal! :D

This is a first. Maybe she saw a white substance on the finish and thought it was milk. My guess is was some kind of liquid or gel type of kitchen cleaner with bleach (like Soft Scrub) that leaked onto the finish.. I can see the substance having an adverse effect on the clearcoat if it wasn`t removed promptly.

Ron Ketcham
08-02-2001, 07:37 PM
You have some interesting compounds in milk.

Latic acids, protiens, etc.

Right conditions, humidity, temperature, leave the milk and it`s chemical soup there and it will eat apart the resin system of the paint system.

imported_TLMitchell
11-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Just wondering if anyone has invented a better way to polish the roof on high vehicles? I`ve got a GMC 4x4, extended cab. The suicide doors offer a wide perch to stand on but I still find myself a bit unstable (talk to my Ex about that !) but I`ve yet to find a better way.

On previous short bed trucks I could almost do the entire roof standing in the bed. On the longer extended cab I can only reach the back half. Step ladders and step stools leave me feeling more unstable than standing on the door frame as well as the risk of leaning on and marring the finish along the pillars.

Just wondering how the rest of the world does it?

TL

MB Fan
11-02-2009, 02:48 PM
I have had the same challenge with the mini-van. I can reach most of the back half of the roof standing on the back tires, but that leaves 2/3 of the roof I can`t get at - even standing on the door sills. My only solution todate is a two-step step-stool that has rubberized bumpers on the top of the frame. I am always extra careful to have the van fairly level and the stool on good solid footing - no need to hurt myself or the paint by losing my balance and falling :redface:

imported_Luster
11-02-2009, 03:05 PM
When I do an RV I climb up the back ladder and lay down on the top, like a beached whale and reach down the front to do the "bubble".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/bluster/motorhome/IMG_3409.jpg

For large pickups and lifted vehicles I stand in the bed for the back half of the top and use a ladder for the front half of the top. I throw a blanket over the ladder so it won`t scratch the sides of the truck.....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/bluster/silverado/silverado003.jpg

imported_TLMitchell
11-02-2009, 06:47 PM
When I do an RV I climb up the back ladder and lay down on the top, like a beached whale and reach down the front to do the "bubble".

Oh man, I can`t imagine how much work is involved detailing a land yacht! I think I`d be tempted to skip the roof.. I mean, who`s gonna see it? :Innocent:

T

imported_Luster
11-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Oh man, I can`t imagine how much work is involved detailing a land yacht! I think I`d be tempted to skip the roof.. I mean, who`s gonna see it? :Innocent:

T

Haha... well, the guy did want the top cleaned, so I stood up there with a pressure washer and non-slip deck shoes and washed it.

But that front bubble couldn`t be reached on the ladder, so I had to lay down and reach my arm down with the Porter Cable to polish it... heavily oxidized.

EclecTech
11-02-2009, 07:24 PM
+1 on the two step folding step stool. It`s light weight and fairly sturdy, but on a vehicle as large as yours I hope you have long arms :wink: - especially if you need to apply pressure.

Jack

rockymountaindetail
11-02-2009, 08:01 PM
I use an 8 ft ladder. I used to use a 6 footer as it was smaller and easier to pack on my truck. I found that I prefer the 8 ft one because I`m not on the very top part of the ladder as I was with the 6 ft one. This gives me more stability when I am leaning across the roof. I do tons of big 4x4`s, they are very popular here in Utah and I have found this to be the best method for me. You do have to be careful but I`ve never had a scratching accident yet.

imported_Auto Concierge
11-03-2009, 01:49 AM
I have the perfect solution............ I do not do trucks and SUV`s:thumbup:

imported_Jokeman
11-03-2009, 08:25 AM
I have an extended cab truck. I got a 3 foot Husky step ladder that I use for the the front of the roof. I open both the doors and put one foot on top of the ladder and one foot on the door sill. That way Im fairly stable because I am very clumsy.

imported_TLMitchell
11-03-2009, 10:19 AM
I have an extended cab truck. I got a 3 foot Husky step ladder that I use for the the front of the roof. I open both the doors and put one foot on top of the ladder and one foot on the door sill. That way Im fairly stable because I am very clumsy.

DING ::::: DING :::: DING I think we have a winner! :hurray:

So simple I can`t believe I didn`t think of it. Gonna give this one a try, I like it!

Thanks... TL