PDA

View Full Version : PO85RD or PO106FA after PO203?

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_Jared
08-02-2001, 02:29 PM
I have a question about caring for towels. After washing them thoroughly in the washer, does it make a difference if I used a towel that was previously used for polishing (or any other detailing job...drying, waxing, etc.) for another task? Or vice versa?

JasonC8301
08-02-2001, 03:42 PM
It should be ok to use different towels for different things after a good washing, but I dedicate my towels to what they are used for. I only wash the towels I use on the paint in the washing machine, my glass towels get washed by hand in the bathroom sink (which is treated with OG Show Off), the wheel and tires towels get washed by hand in a 5 gallon bucket especially for washing them since they get so dirty.

Also the glass towels should never be washed with the paint towels because it may cause the glass towels to streak because of the wax reisdue in the glass towel.

Hope this helps

Jason

tom p.
08-02-2001, 04:31 PM
..in an ideal world, keep towels segregated when possible. If I have a really dirty towel, I don`t try to wash it. It gets thrown away.

I have acquired one of the orange Viper MF towels for glass so its easy to keep that baby separate.

I just bought a box of the Fieldcrest white Charisma towels `cause everyone said they were so great. I am still getting a lot of lint after dryinghttp://www.lut.fi/~pristins/Ph/gif/idea.gif the car which was the whole reason I replaced all my aging towels.

What dryer setting do people use???

low
med
high
maybe that`s what I am doing wrong??

imported_theamcguy
08-02-2001, 04:35 PM
I just let mine air dry on the deck chairs. After I fluff them up in the dryer. The only problem is that MT`s take sooooo long to dry. Is it safe to put them in the dryer to dry?

tom p.
08-02-2001, 04:51 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by MattMold [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`> Is it safe to put them in the dryer to dry? [/b]</blockquote>
I do but only on low heat and without any other towels (non-MF) in the dryer.

Have you ever tried to remove a bunch of lint from an MF after it came out of the dryer?
http://www.lut.fi/~pristins/Ph/gif/shy.gif

adjulian
08-02-2001, 04:54 PM
I have the silverose charismas, haven`t washed them yet and no lint for me. I took HenryK`s advice and gave them a good thrashing before I used them and they seem to be fine.

I dry mine on low heat, others have posted that the higher heats promotes a static charge on the towel transferring it to the paint, making it a dust magnet.

bobdec
08-02-2001, 05:27 PM
I wash all of my mf towels in the washing machine in hot water with detergent, no bleach and no softner. Before I take them out, I run them through the rinse cycle again. I do put them in the dryer on medium heat. Never dry them with anything else (as Tom P indicated, they are lint magnets!) I`ve never had a problem with wax residue after washing so I don`t seperate the paint towels from the glass towels. I then put the clean, dried towels in large ziplocks until I`m ready to use them.

As to the heat issue with mf towels. I`ve heard plenty of people talk about high heat damaging mf. I tried to damage one recently after hearing that by boiling one for 10 minutes. No negative change and it seemed to fluff up a little more than before. Then I decided to put one in the pressure cooker which get the temp even higher. No negative change. Now I don`t even know which ones I boiled as they`re just with all my other mf towels. I don`t think I would worry too much about hot water and/or drying mf towels in dryers although I still use medium on the dryer setting (it took my wife many years to train me how to use the washer and dryer, but I`m not too comfortable changing the settings on them yet!)

Bob Post
08-02-2001, 05:39 PM
added to the load with help with mildew smells, lint and help to release any wax/sealant/QD products from the towel.

I use it all the time after getting this tip and it works, as well as cleaning out the lint trap REALLY well. Not just the removable lint trap, another detailer told me to look in

the lint trap receptacle attatched to the washer, that`s where most of the lint is. He was absolutely right, I tried it at home and at my hotel and AFTER cleaning the removable lint trap, I cleaned the one attached to the dryer and got

as much lint out of it as I did the removable trap!!

Use a stiff brush and brush the lint out, I got a whole handfull and if not removed guess where it goes! Back on your towels! I also use med heat as this seems to fluff better. No bleach, no fab softener.

DETAILKING
08-02-2001, 05:57 PM
1. Only use liquid detergents

2. never use a fabric softener or bleach

3. Dry on low heat, and remove towels while still damp, and let them air dry the rest of the way. Other wise they could be static city.

4. NEVER use your wheel towels on your paint, no matter how many times they are washed!

Remember, it is better to be safe, than swirly.

DCT
08-02-2001, 07:06 PM
I like to hand wash with Liquid Tide. Then air dry both MT and cotton towels.

The wife bought me a handy fold up towel rack that stands about 4ft tall when opened and holds a lot of towels. I use it to put the towels on when detailing and then use it to dry towels after washing.

imported_Jared
08-02-2001, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, really helped out. Also, where can I get these Charisma towels?

JasonC8301
08-02-2001, 10:12 PM
Either from Kevin, please some one post the link, i don`t where i put it, ok ok I`m just to lazy to check.

Or from http://www.fieldcrestcannonoutlet.com/charbattowsi1.html (`http://www.fieldcrestcannonoutlet.com/charbattowsi1.html`)

for $4.99 a pop, I got myself 11, free shipping! The box it came in with the towels weighed in at 19 pounds!

imported_Jared
08-02-2001, 10:45 PM
Thanks Jason..I`ll check it out soon..

adjulian
08-03-2001, 07:32 AM
HenryK - I have actually become an overnight sewing success. My wife has taught me to sew :) I actually have cut the charismas into 2 and then learned how to use the `zig zag` stitch on my wife`s sewing machine. I fold over the frayed edges about 1/4 inch and use the zig zag stitch to seal the frayed edge under 100% cotton. You will have to get a thicker needle in order for the needle to get through the towels. And don`t forget to get 100% cotton thread, there is thread out there that is polyester with 100% cotton covering and you don`t want that. I think they look great, I can make whatever sizes I want and the edges are completely sealed. I will post pics this weekend of the towels and the sewing job when I have a chance, I think they look pretty good IMHO.;)

imported_brianshaeffer
08-03-2001, 07:36 AM
Ok, flame me, but why not bleach the towels? (Note that I haven`t, but also have not understood why)