PDA

View Full Version : Changing Oil: Regular Intervals or Computer Analysis?

Pages : [1] 2

i-VTEC
08-02-2001, 09:41 AM
Do the car wash liquid that the gas station use in their touchless car wash strip the wax from the car?

Because in Toronto, Canada, the winter temperatures are down to -4 Fahrenheit, and it is too cold to wash the car using a hose. Therefore, in order to get rid of the salt build up on the car, I have no chose but to go to a gas station for a car wash.

JasonC8301
08-02-2001, 09:58 AM
It depends on the qaulity and customer service of the touchless car wash. MOSY touchless car washes use a strong car wash solution to get all the dirty cars clean so that makes customers happy. On the other hand some car washes want to cut costs by diluting the car wash and makes more money for them and having a clean but not sparkling car.

I don`t have much experience with these touchless car washes except for running through them about 10 times in beater cars.

I`m sure someone else could put in some facts and more scientific answers to your question.

EDIT: Duh! forgot to answer your question, I am guessing MOSY car washes that touchless places use will strip the wax on your car but probably won`t compromise or not really affect a quality sealant that much.

ALM
08-02-2001, 10:00 AM
I just had to wipe the drool from my chin after seeing the pic of that 2001 Type R! Its nice to dream!!!!

I can`t really answer your question, however what I can tell you, is that you may want to consider another alternative to drive through car-washes, cuz you`d almost be better off washing your car with a brilo pad! If your worried about protection during the winter months, I`d highly reccomend using an acrylic sealant (such as Klasse) instead of, or in addition to, a wax. It will afford you much better protection from the winter`s hazards to your paint. Plus the shine they produce is much better!

i-VTEC
08-02-2001, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I will for sure use synthetic sealants on my car before the snow. It`s just during the winter months, where it gets so cold, that you can`t possibly was your car with a hose because the water will start freezing in 5 - 10 minutes. Therefore the only way to wash off all the salt build up is to go to a gas station for a wash.

I know a touchless car wash gas station here in Toronto literally have 300+ cars washed in a day during the really cold but sunny days.

JasonC8301
08-02-2001, 10:12 AM
but, do you have a good sized garage in which you can install a drain, install central A/C with heat, a water heater, and shop lights?

This will enable you to wash your car even if its snowing outside and you`ll have no fear of those touchless car washes again.

Just a crazy irrational suggestion

Jason

TortoiseAWD
08-02-2001, 10:24 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by JasonC8301 [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>but, do you have a good sized garage in which you can install a drain, install central A/C with heat, a water heater, and shop lights?

This will enable you to wash your car even if its snowing outside and you`ll have no fear of those touchless car washes again.
[/b]</blockquote>
Add a hydraulic lift, air compressor, a good set of tools, and a fridge full of beer. You now have the recipe for Tort`s Dream Garage :D Seriously, ever since I started getting OC about my car`s paint, I`ve dreamt of the perfect garage, where I could go work on my car in climate-controlled comfort at any hour of the day. Maybe when that lottery ticket hits :rolleyes:

Tort

Footy
08-02-2001, 10:32 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by TortoiseAWD [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Add a hydraulic lift, air compressor, a good set of tools, and a fridge full of beer. You now have the recipe for Tort`s Dream Garage :D Seriously, ever since I started getting OC about my car`s paint, I`ve dreamt of the perfect garage, where I could go work on my car in climate-controlled comfort at any hour of the day. Maybe when that lottery ticket hits :rolleyes:

Tort [/b]</blockquote>You mean something like this (`http://autopia-carcare.com/bradbloomgar.html`)?

imported_Luster
11-01-2009, 08:15 PM
I`ve always been a "Change-It-Every-3000-Miles" guy. No matter what.

I`ve been told by many people, that on newer vehicles, I should wait until the "Change Oil" indicator comes on, as directed by the automobile`s computer. I`ve told also, that this is the manufacturer`s recomendation.

I`m not convinced.

What about you? Regular intervals or wait for the computer to tell you to change it?

Tuck91
11-01-2009, 08:21 PM
I change the oil on my truck every 2500 miles. Better safe than sorry.

mrtonyn
11-01-2009, 08:50 PM
and not fully synthetic. Seems like that is overkill and expensive if replacing synthetic every 2500-3000 miles...but if you can afford it then it will make the engine last for years to come.:wink:

QUIK4DR
11-01-2009, 09:10 PM
That is overkill even with regular oil. I use only Quantum Blue products from BND Automotive and I do an oil analysis test that I send to a lab. Currently in my 2006 Charger I am on track to be able to do 10,000 mile intervals. That is with the same filter in place also.:thumbup:

Street Dreams
11-01-2009, 09:41 PM
I change my oil every 318miles to be safe.... what, im not crazy :cursing:

imported_Stokdgs
11-02-2009, 01:34 AM
I would change regular Dino oil sooner than Synthetics, but it also has to do with how you use the engine; do you warm it up fully when you drive it, do you spend hours on end idling in traffic, do you run the heck out of it everytime, etc..??

I might let it go 4-5k with fully synthetic SM oil, but I look at it alot on the dipstick and start watching the interval closer, the dirtier the oil looks on the stick.

For me, nothing is a perfect science of lights, light bars, notes from the computer in the car, etc., unless you know exactly how those things measure and exactly what they measure, to tell you its time.

Then you have the car makers telling you that you can go these huge amounts of miles before changing the oil, plugs, etc., so is this really true or are they just wanting you to buy the car, because it appears to need very little maintenance ??

You want to see how good you are doing with this? look at the bottom of the oil filler cap, or better still, pull a valve cover and look at the underside - is it clean or black with crud and moisture??

To me there will never be any substitute for clean oil and a new filter to keep the moving parts of that engine clean and as wear free as possible.

Dan F

iCeMaN57
11-02-2009, 02:39 AM
I change my oil every 5k miles and don`t pay attention to what my oil life meter says. I use amsoil 5w30 too :D

supercharged
11-02-2009, 05:14 AM
switch to synthetic and go by manufacturers recomendations. I change every 7500 miles on my daily driver (I use Mobil 1 5W-30), which my Acura was changed at 3700-3800 miles with Mobil 1 5w-20, but now I`ll switch to Mobil 1 expended performance and change it on 7500 mile intervals... Mobil 1 extended performance lasts you up to 15k miles... Regular oil won`t last that long, it will turn into greese...by the way, that`s how often BMW service their cars - 1 oil change every 15k miles...