PDA

View Full Version : PS Detailed Trailblazer SS in Silverstone Metallic

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Jared
08-01-2001, 02:40 PM
Hello,

I noticed recently that my car has alot of long scratches on certain panels and I am absolutely puzzled as to how they got there. My best guess is probably while Quick Detailing. I always use a Cali Car Duster follwed by a Miracle Towel and either Show-Off or Clear Pearl. The car usually has some dust and light amount of dirt on it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

JasonC8301
08-01-2001, 02:56 PM
Do they catch your finger nail?

How do you use the Cali-Duster? I usually barely touch the surface of the mop head with mine.

On the QD, the surface should be dirt/dust free after the use of the Cali Duster.

I assume the Cali. Duster step is causing the probelm. I sahke mine off very hard after each section of the car.

Also use good judgement, a car that is lightly dusty in need of a dust+QD may be a wash for another person.

Later

Jason

Bob Post
08-01-2001, 03:12 PM
It suprises me that some people here use it. My buddy previously used one, (he has since came to his senses and stopped, after many puzzling scratches) and he was putting nice, long scratches on his car also. We ascertained this by

parking at night under a light (better to see scratches)

and analyzing the scratches, which like you ran from front to back. Guess what? He used his Cali Duster like they instruct, front to back!! As soon as I pointed this out and

he saw it with his own eyes, he went right over to the trash

can and ditched his Cali Scatch Introducer!! First of all, you take a Cali thing and rub it over your dusty paint to pick up debris and dust and dirt, (dust and dirt is just basically sand, which is ABRASIVE!)which it does ok, but the

dirt is stuck in the waxy fibers. (which I will get to later) Then you rub the dirty, waxy fibers back OVER the paint, how could you NOT get scratches? This could happen with anything you rub on paint, but at least with towels you

do WASH the dirt out!! The Cali never gets washed! You shake it! If the duster worked like it`s supposed to and absorb the dirt into the inner fibers, the only thing your shaking out is surface dirt. Deep down dirt is still in it. Now to the waxy parrafin, after detailing my buddies car he would always get streaks. After you have taken the time to apply your own wax and sealants, that parrafin in the duster is of a different kind of wax and reacts accordingly, streaking and making your previous application inconsistent. That`s why when you wax and seal, you want to stay with just one type of product. Most of the people that like the Cali duster probably have car colors other than Blk, but a Blk car is unforgiving and if your using something you should not on it`s surface, it will TELL you by showing imperfections immediately. Other colors mask imperfections, thus Cali duster users think the product is "OK" since they can`t readily see the damage like on a Blk car. The difference is a couple years down the road these imperfections and scratches introduced by the duster will come to light. Does the duster have it`s uses? Well, maybe.

I think it`s "OK", (and I do say that lightly) on very high-end, concourse cars that have been painted with multiple coats of expensive paint and clear coat, that are super-sealed and waxed with multiple coats and garage kept.

Why, because they are kept in a garage and the kind of dust that get on that type of car is just surface dust and lint.

Even though you can`t see it, a car sitting outside has completely different particles on it, fallout, dirt, sand,

tree sap (<<< the most dangerous) acid rain, exhaust particles, mettalic brake dust (which you rub around with the duster to help scratch) bug parts, you name it, I could go on forever. Sorry this was so long, but I just wanted you to know. Personally I would ditch the duster NOW. Your second QD method is safer (using your fav QD and MF or towel) because you lube the surface (thus helping not to scratch) and then completely remove contaminants with a towel as opposed to the duster just "moving particles around".

YoSteve
08-01-2001, 05:09 PM
I tend to break out the hose, rinse and then QD. (at that point you may just want to wash)

Bob Post
08-01-2001, 07:01 PM
not put on your face and feel safe. In other words, you can use a MF, synthetic or cotton on your car and put it on your face and feel reletively safe due to the safety and plushness and nap of the products. Would you put a dirty Cali duster on your face? Heck no!! This seems a little silly, but when I buy stuff I think about this and if it

seems too rough I won`t buy it.

jkochis
08-01-2001, 08:02 PM
I dont buy your logic on that one. Sorry.

I`d put a dirty California Duster on my face.

I wouldnt put Klasse or Zaino on my face!

imported_Jared
08-01-2001, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone...

Now that I have pinpointed my problem being the duster and "too dirty" of a car, how do I go about removing the scratches (very long and run down various parts of the car which resembles the usage of the duster) that I put into the paint? Thanks again.

Cyborg
08-01-2001, 10:24 PM
I think many people bring a good point about the duster. I bought one this year and was happy at first-- during pollen season. But after many coats of Klasse and Blitz, I have noticed more light scratches that I would like to see after my detail.

One other thing to point out and be careful of, make sure the tag on the miracle towel is not touching the paint at all. The tag slipped out on me during a QD one time, and it left scratches.

KR CoolShine
08-02-2001, 06:50 AM
Hey squeak:

Buy a pair of scissors and cut those tags off below the hem or selvage line of the towel!

Bob Post
08-02-2001, 06:37 PM
self-explanitory. It was, I said "you can use a MF, synthetic or cotton". Hopefully nobody is that silly to think this meant chemicals, just towels and such, come on.

DaGonz
08-02-2001, 07:39 PM
should dictate when you would use the cali car duster or give the vehicle a wash. If it`s just pollen...use the duster. If you have driven anywhere near road construction, lawn mowing operations, someone using a leaf blower to blow sand out of a driveway, etc. what you see on the car is a combination of dust, sand and whatever pollen is in the air at the time. Wash it.

imported_Jared
08-02-2001, 10:04 PM
YoSteve,

When you talked about rinsing the car and then QD`ing, do your first dry off the car after rinsing or do you spray it with quick detailer while the car is still wet? Thanks.

Ron Ketcham
08-02-2001, 10:11 PM
Do your best, Klasse,Blitz,Zanio,I don`t care, but make the surface the best you can.

Then take the 30X magnifier, and wipe the hood with what ever you wish to use, dry, no lubricant, and then put the magnifier on the area, using it correctly.

Bet you see through the magnifer some minor marring that you can`t believe.

Just using an alcohol and water mix will reduce this marring.

Go ahead, try it and then flame me.

imported_Jared
08-02-2001, 10:14 PM
Ron, sounds like an interesting method...but I am confused about the water and alcohol. Would I use this mixture while removing a product from the paint?

YoSteve
08-03-2001, 04:50 PM
sorry Jared, I`ve been really busy sending out towels lately and haven`t answered your question. Yes, I do spray it on wet, because miracle towels soak up everything and the QD helps it finish streak free. I find that rather than getting your towel all dirty why not rinse first. I especially like it when it rains (an my car is not washed) cause it softenes up the dirt and when you get home you just rinse the dirt off QD and it looks like you washed it. The QD provides the lubrication to deter scratching form the remaining debris, I guess.