PDA

View Full Version : its about snow time

Pages : [1] 2

hook
07-31-2001, 10:32 PM
Two slightly related questions for you experts:

1. Does claying remove AIO/SG? I think it does remove carnauba, is that right?

2. Is there a way to remove a carnauba layer that`s over AIO/SG so that just more SG can be applied? Would Dawn do it? I haven`t decided yet if I want to layer wax over teh SG, one factor will be how easily I can "go back". And I do know I could use AIO to get it off, but then I`m starting over with the AIO/SG layers.

many thanks,

Andy

ALM
07-31-2001, 10:40 PM
I`m in the same boat...i want to strip off my Blitz layers so i can apply a few more coats of SG, everyone tells me that Dawn will only remove the layers of Blitz and not the Klasse. But I gotta admit im a bit leary about Dawing my car, cuz ive never done and i want to be sure my layer of Klasse are still perfectly intect when im finished Dawning.

But to answer your question, based upon what everyone has told me, yes Dawn will keep your Klasse layers intact.

DETAILKING
07-31-2001, 11:30 PM
of carnuba over KLASSE. If it looks THAT much better, I guess stick with it, but if it is just a marginal improvement, I would skip it. There will be no guessing involved and additional layers of SG can be applied without worrying.

ISLANDSBEST
08-01-2001, 01:16 AM
DK and others

I had always wondered about the "wax over Klasse" approach. I can appreciate our brethens` perceptions that K looks better with wax on top, but I did wonder about how you applied more K on top of the wax. I guess the answer, for most, is that they don`t.

One of the advantages of Z is that you can go completely crazy and just keep on applying more coats. Or, maybe this is a disadvantage ;) depends on if you were doing anything meaningful on the weekends.

imported_Page
08-01-2001, 08:40 AM
Removing Klasse SG and AIO. A 70% alcohol/30% water mixture will remove Klasse SG and AIO. Also, most polishes will remove Klasse. Then again, the polishes will also remove Blitz.

In terms of removing the Blitz over SG without removing SG. Dawn will remove the wax, but should not remove the SG or AIO. Claying should remove the wax also, however, I am not sure if the clay would also remove your SG and AIO or not.

I currently have Souveran over two coats of SG. I normally do not remove the Souveran, until I "strip" the car in order to re-AIO and re-Klasse. I think most folks find it easier to do one of two things

1. Only strip the wax when you plan to "strip" the whole car and re-do the process.

2. Stick with AIO and SG only. This way you can layer on more SG over time, without running into the wax removal issue.

SJ

hook
08-01-2001, 09:35 AM
Thanks SJ! I`m still debating whether to put Souveran over the SG. Good to know it`s at least feasible to "go back" without starting over entirely.

The reason I ask about the clay is that the horizontal surfaces don`t feel as smooth as they did after I clayed. That was about 2 weeks ago, and I`ve since applied 2 layers of AIO and 3 of SG. I`m wondering what`s caused the "grit" I feel when I do the cellophane-over-the-fingers test, and if I clay will I be undoing all the Klasse work.

Not sure what`s causing this, perhaps this area is bad for contaminates. meguiar`s paintcare Rx thiing indicates the area is severe for acid rain.

blue skies,

Andy

Bruce
08-01-2001, 10:33 AM
Andy, my cars are outside all the time, with lots of trees around. A day later, both feel "gritty," whether with Zaino or Klasse, with stuff that is not visible, mostly on the horizontal surfaces. QD easily takes care of it, and the smooth feel is restored.

DETAILKING
08-01-2001, 11:37 AM
The best thing for your clear coat is to leave it be after protection is on it. Wash when you need to and be careful with towels and rubbing!

hook
08-01-2001, 12:31 PM
My logical side agees with you and says "just keep doing SG".

But that can of souveran smells **sooooo** good....

regards,

Andy

JasonC8301
08-01-2001, 12:41 PM
Andy,

If you feel so inclined to try Souveran and the car is pampered, then I would try Souveran on a panel and see if there is a difference.

I find that Klasse AIO followed by Souveran is a short quick way of offering protection and shine. A wash, Klasse AIO on rim, clean + dress tires and trim, Klasse AIO and Souveran, clean windows takes about 3-4 hours, all by hand no PC (could of made the Klasse AIO much faster). This was to a BMW 528i, sits in the garage all day and is only dirven like twice a month. The daily driver would be the Yukon they have. I`ll get to these cars soon, just don`t know when.

I`ll stop my babbling and let you decide if there is a noticable, worthy difference of putting on Souveran or just keep doing SG.

Jason

imported_glfahlc
10-31-2009, 08:56 PM
got a feeling we gonna get dumped on a few times this winter. whats the best snow removal tool that you`ve found and used for your cars and trucks..

imported_Luster
10-31-2009, 10:09 PM
got a feeling we gonna get dumped on a few times this winter. whats the best snow removal tool that you`ve found and used for your cars and trucks..

I like to use a long-handle Meguiars Soft Wash brush (the big one... about 9" wide).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41924WMRK8L.jpg

imported_Flash Gordon
10-31-2009, 10:27 PM
Theres really no good way to get it off. If I`m getting into a car covered in snow, honestly I don`t care what happens. I just want some heat now.

I have a freind in Jersey who tells me of how the 18 wheelers up there, leaving the yard and getting on the Interstate, will have 20ft. sheets of ice flying off there roofs......Now thats gonna leave a mark

imported_Luster
10-31-2009, 10:31 PM
I have a freind in Jersey who tells me of how the 18 wheelers up there, leaving the yard and getting on the Interstate, will have 20ft. sheets of ice flying off there roofs......

That`s just ugly.

bigpoppa
11-01-2009, 06:44 AM
I duct taped an MF around a snow brush. I don`t intend on actually touching the paint with it (leaving about 1/2" of snow left is key, paint contact=marring), but if I do have a slip up, it won`t be as damaging as touching it with the bare bristles.