PDA

View Full Version : Today`s Lesson Boys and Girls...

Pages : [1] 2

scottybob1
07-28-2001, 11:24 PM
The other day my daughters new 01 Rallye Red Honda Civic was delievered and now I want to Zaino it as soon as possible. My question is can I apply the Zaino right on top of either the dealer or the factory applied paint protection, or should I attempt to strip it off with something like AIO? I`m hesitant to get to aggressive with the paint because it so clean and swirl free, so my plan was a dawn wash, followed by Zaino clay and then hopefully apply the first of many coats of Z-1 and Z-2. DK, I know you just finished Zainoing that beautiful BMW, and was wondering if it had a paint protection added, and if so, how did you deal with it prior to the Zaino? Anyone else have any thoughts on dealing with the so called paint protection applied by the dealer.

Also, off the subject but I purchased this car from a dealer through Autobytel.com, and can report that it was a very easy process just as long as you know what car and options your looking for to include. None of the other 4 honda dealers in my area could touch the price I was quoted, plus the car was delievered right to my door. In addition, financing was also arranged through the internet at an interest rate none of the banks in my town could match or beat either. So, if your in the market for a new car, give Autobytel.com a shot.

Don2000g
07-29-2001, 12:03 AM
The sealants that dealerships apply on new cars would not provide the necessary foundation for Zaino. If you have this sealant, you need to remove it and not with AIO, as AIO will layer down some acrylic on your car`s finish. I would imagine that Dawn follwed by claying, followed by Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion would be a good start. The Pinnacle PCL may not be needed but is nice to use.

DETAILKING
07-29-2001, 11:12 AM
If you paid a few hundred bucks for it, it might be a synthetic based sealant, but I suspect its just a spray wax or carnuba wax they prepped the car with. Just dawn wash, clay, and Z1, and Z2. Remember to use thin coats, and good luck!

scottybob1
07-29-2001, 01:19 PM
When I bought the 300M, the invoice added about $400 for paint protection that was already added and wasn`t something I could ask to be removed. On the Civic, it was simply a $90 dealer prep charge, do you think that was for just getting the car ready, ie., wash and wax; without adding an sealant?

ISLANDSBEST
07-29-2001, 08:08 PM
The $90 charge almost certainly did not include "paint protection." As you know, this is an item they like to charge a few hundred bucks for -- actually, as much as they can get.

Your other car may have been treated with a polymer. This will almost certainly not be removed by Dawn. For example, Zaino must be removed with alcohol (according to Sal, clay will EVENTUALLY remove Zaino).

Heaven knows what they put on your paint. I would have the dealer tell you (or find out) what product was used on the paint and who made it. I would then ask the manufacturor how they recommend removing it (they will certainly have a recommendation, not because they think people are going to spend $400 then want to remove the product, but because body shops have to know how to remove most of these products in order to do patch up paint jobs in accident cases). Use common sense in evaluating their recommendation and proceed only if their recommendation does not violate what you have read on this site.

tthomp82
10-28-2009, 08:03 PM
is that painted plastic accessory parts do not like to be polished. So I am doing touch up to prep the car for the show and see a swirl mark on the hood scoop. I work in one area with an orange pad and some ssr2.5. the good news is the swirl is gone... the bad... you can see below - I burned it... I could cry.

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/tthomp82/Error003.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/tthomp82/Error004.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/tthomp82/Error005.jpg

and what it should look like

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab240/tthomp82/Error006.jpg

:scared:

imported_Flash Gordon
10-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Ouch...:scared: This is terrible news, I`m sorry for your misfortune.
On the bright side, maybe you can get just the 1 stripe repainted instead of the whole hood...I dunno, good luck

imported_Luster
10-28-2009, 08:18 PM
Is that stripe paint or vinyl? Were you using a rotary?

tthomp82
10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
it was paint.. and I was using a DA on speed setting 6

imported_Luster
10-28-2009, 08:41 PM
it was paint.. and I was using a DA on speed setting 6

I`ve never seen a DA do that! I better start being more careful!!!

But it does look like it burned the clearcoat...

Possibly it could be wet-sanded and re-cleared.

Sorry this happened... beautiful car.

tthomp82
10-28-2009, 08:44 PM
the sad part is this happened 3 days before the car show and I dont think I can get it fixed in time.

I could run headfirst into a wall - unbelievably stupid :banghead:

imported_Luster
10-28-2009, 08:49 PM
the sad part is this happened 3 days before the car show and I dont think I can get it fixed in time.

I could run headfirst into a wall - unbelievably stupid :banghead:

Does you Ford dealer have a body shop? You could take it to body shop manager and talk to him about it. A lot of times they will squeeze in special cases for high end cars. If it just needs wet sand and clearcoat, it should only take them a half a day or less.... it would be worth a try!

tthomp82
10-28-2009, 08:52 PM
there is a place here in houston that does body work on all high end cars and gets great reviews on citysearch. Collision Plus Inc. I may try there buy the dealership might able to help me out too.

I am truly disappointed... words cant even describe. I was getting excited about my first show buy I dont know now.

This is a place to learn so I hope my experience helps others.

imported_Luster
10-28-2009, 08:57 PM
there is a place here in houston that does body work on all high end cars and gets great reviews on citysearch. Collision Plus Inc. I may try there buy the dealership might able to help me out too.

I am truly disappointed... words cant even describe. I was getting excited about my first show buy I dont know now.

This is a place to learn so I hope my experience helps others.

I can feel the pain in your words.... again sorry this happened!

I had a similar indicent happen when I was getting ready for the Grand Prix Nationals in KC in 2002.

I had been detailing the car for a week to get ready for the show. ON MY WAY TO THE SHOW... A truck, loaded with demolition trash, pulled right out in front of me and half of a brick came flying off and bounced right on the FRONT OF MY HOOD!!!!

Left a 1/2" long, 1/4" deep dent just above the headlight! I was FREAKIN` FURIOUS!!!!

But.....things happen.

Maybe things will work out this week for you.

tthomp82
10-28-2009, 09:07 PM
well for the sake of the finances... my girlfriend advises that I should shop around and find the best deal and not get screwed by the dealership. Guess I will just have to sit this one out.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I cant even begin to think how much it will cost to get it repaired. Hopefully less than 500, but who knows.