PDA

View Full Version : If it`s shiny metal... it`s chrome; NO

DaGonz
07-28-2001, 10:01 AM
One of the local jobbers just started carrying the Gliptone line of car cleaning products. They were out of the Meguiar`s #26 high tech yellow paste wax I was looking for, so I bought the Gliptone Carnauba paste to try. It`s a hard paste wax, blue in color with a pleasant aroma. It was just as easy to work with as the #26. Has anyone else tried these products?

JasonC8301
07-28-2001, 10:15 AM
I have not tried gliptone porducts but their website seems decent.

Something that does bug me is their platnium paste teflon wax. Almost everyone knows teflon does not enhance the protection of wax on a car.

Other than that they seem to have decent product. Maybe a step up from Turtle Wax and more or less equal to Meguiars consumer line.

Website for Gliptone Products.

http://www.gliptone.com (`http://www.gliptone.com`)

imported_RIC
07-28-2001, 10:25 AM
13+ years ago my regimen was 3M Imperial Hand Glaze followed by Gliptone Wet Coat Liquid Carnauba wax. The Wet Coat wax was the easaiest product I ever applied, but one of the toughest to remove.

imported_Jared
07-28-2001, 03:20 PM
I`ve heard some good reviews of Gliptone Leather Conditioner. I think this product resembles Z-10 based on smell (some say Gliptone smells very much like real leather) and how it sets up (very easy to buff off). Hope this helps.

imported_Luster
10-28-2009, 03:33 PM
The mis-use of the word "chrome" drives me a little crazy....

Let`s say someone is selling a set of wheels on eBay or Craiglist. " These are 18" Chrome Corvette wheels".

I say... "Are you sure they are chrome? Or are they polished aluminum and clear coated?"

"Oh no, they`re chrome!"

99% of the time they`re not chrome.

The actual process of chrome plating starts with a polished aluminum or steel wheel, 1st plating with copper, 2nd plating with nickel, 3rd plating with chromium. Hence the name "Triple Chrome Plating".

Many people think... if it`s shiny, it`s chrome. No.

[RANT OFF]

tthomp82
10-28-2009, 03:49 PM
Mine are most definitely chrome... I can see where the plating stops and the rest of the wheel begins

MB Fan
10-28-2009, 04:03 PM
My older MB has chrome wheels - I know because I paid to have them chromed. Sadly, the regulations here in California have all but driven the good chrome shops out of business. A friend recently shipped a bunch of parts to Nevada to have them done there. Better quality work and less expensive - even considering the shipping.

Don`t get me started about the government`s interference with small business!!!

[rant off]

Strs90
10-28-2009, 05:28 PM
My dad calls everything that is not a plain black steel rim.. mags.

And he gets pissed that I try to correct him cause he thinks I am just young and dumb.

Old Pirate
10-28-2009, 06:23 PM
My wheels are chrome........wait their painted.