PDA

View Full Version : Why do people insist?

Pages : [1] 2 3

curlyq222
07-27-2001, 08:45 PM
hi...my brake disc(i think, one that u can see thru the wheele) all rusty??

how do i clean it, and make it shine or at least remove all rust on the disc???

jkochis
07-27-2001, 08:53 PM
Drive it, and apply brakes. Other than that, it will reappear. The part is called a rotor if I understood your post.

yonghyun
07-27-2001, 09:56 PM
i believe he is talking about the rotor..and i have the same problem too..i was thinking about using a metal polish but wasnt sure. what do ppl use?

imported_Jared
07-27-2001, 10:02 PM
I remember once reading a post where Brad showed a picture of his Porsche and he actually painted that part! Maybe he could provide some advice on this topic as I am actually thinking of doing the same thing since it makes the car look sharp.

TortoiseAWD
07-27-2001, 10:09 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by jayhway [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>i believe he is talking about the rotor..and i have the same problem too..i was thinking about using a metal polish but wasnt sure. what do ppl use?
[/b]</blockquote>
I believe RH is correct; the best way to get rid of the rust is to drive it. Depending on the composition of your rotors, one humid night can be enough to put a light bloom or rust on them (used to happen to my old `92 Laser, especially on the rears). Since the friction between the pad and the rotor is paramount to braking performance, I`d be leery of using <strong class=`bbc`>any[/b] product on the rotors. Besides, the rust will come back so quickly there`s little you can do about it, imo.

Tort

TortoiseAWD
07-27-2001, 10:13 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Jared [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I remember once reading a post where Brad showed a picture of his Porsche and he actually painted that part! Maybe he could provide some advice on this topic as I am actually thinking of doing the same thing since it makes the car look sharp. [/b]</blockquote>
Jared,

Was it the rotor that was painted, or the calipers? I`ve seen painted calipers on a lot of cars, but not the rotors. The paint would wear immediately where the pad sweeps the rotor, but I guess the rest of the rotor would stay painted. Well, if it didn`t burst into flames, anyway; brakes get pretty hot. I recall one guy on the Talon digest actually caught his painted calipers on fire at the track one weekend. Temps just got too high with repeated braking.

Tort

imported_Brad
07-27-2001, 11:04 PM
I paint the hubs, calipers and the rotor edges where the brake pads don`t touch the rotor. (That area gets cleaned off by the pads after every application of the brake.) I choose an appropriate color for each area.

I paint the rotor edges with Hi-Heat flat black spray paint. You can buy special hi-temp caliper paint (Plastikote makes one for $6 a can) or you can use BBQ pit paint (available everywhere, Rustoleum is the best) This will not cook off during street driving. I have done this for years.

I prep for painting simply by wire brushing and/or sanding the bulk of the rust off. It really makes a huge difference in the appearance of your wheels/brakes.

<strong class=`bbc`>It`s in the details![/b]

curlyq222
07-27-2001, 11:08 PM
thanx people~~~

DaGonz
07-27-2001, 11:08 PM
Don`t put anything on the rotors! Last week my Engine company responded to a car fire...the owner of the car had removed the rust from his brake rotors and applied a film of oil onto them to keep them from rusting. The friction of the brake pads created the sufficent temperatures necessary to ignite the oil film, which ignited the brake lines, fender liners etc. :o It was not pretty...the car was a total loss (not that it was worth that much anyway...it was an old Mecury Tracer rustbucket).

[Edited by Gonzo0903 on 07-27-2001 at 09:13 PM]

curlyq222
07-27-2001, 11:09 PM
this is great site...

i learn lotta stuff here...

especially from people like you ^^

ISLANDSBEST
07-28-2001, 02:39 AM
LOL. You know, some of the things we do can be pretty OC. Some things can be over the top. But, oiling your rotors has to be near the top of the list.

imported_Jared
07-28-2001, 09:04 AM
Brad,

Do you think you could post some pictures and instructions? I am possibly interested in doing this too. Thanks.

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Brad [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>I paint the hubs, calipers and the rotor edges where the brake pads don`t touch the rotor. (That area gets cleaned off by the pads after every application of the brake.) I choose an appropriate color for each area.

I paint the rotor edges with Hi-Heat flat black spray paint. You can buy special hi-temp caliper paint (Plastikote makes one for $6 a can) or you can use BBQ pit paint (available everywhere, Rustoleum is the best) This will not cook off during street driving. I have done this for years.

I prep for painting simply by wire brushing and/or sanding the bulk of the rust off. It really makes a huge difference in the appearance of your wheels/brakes.

<strong class=`bbc`>It`s in the details![/b]

[/b]</blockquote>

imported_Brad
07-28-2001, 03:27 PM
Let me see what I can get done this weekend. I am doing some brakework on the Porsche and will try and take some pics.

imported_Jared
07-28-2001, 04:23 PM
Thanks Brad, can`t wait to see.

YoSteve
07-29-2001, 01:36 AM
Surface prep is the key, if you can sandblast them that would be the best, but a wire brush will do (make sure you get all the dust and dirt off) acetone them if you can. Also if you can bake your painted rotor in an oven after the paint has dried it makes any over-the-counter paint 100% harder.