PDA

View Full Version : OK how do you handle this?

Pages : [1] 2

ihetenyi
07-27-2001, 06:47 AM
Since I can`t take my wheels off to clean the inside properly, can anyone recommend a good cleaning processs for getting at the interior wall? The rims are 16 inch bbs 2 piece with a fairly open design. I tried standard car wash with a 6 inch cone `bristle` brush from the front of the rim and found that I removed some of the grime but left lots behind due to the bristles not covering the surface well. I`m considering trying the same procedure but with EF HI. Any thoughts or pointers that I might not be thinking of?

Steve

99323ic
07-27-2001, 07:06 AM
The EF HI should be pretty good. I find that it dissolves grime pretty well and rinses cleanly.

As far as not being able to take the wheels off (I`m assuming that you don`t have the right equipment), you may want to invest in a floor jack, jack stands and a torque wrench. This allows you to remove your wheels safely. Lay a thick towel down so you don`t scratch the front, and scrub away. Use plenty of water to rinse.

Since you have them off, you may want to consider using Klasse AIO & SG (or some other similar product) to make future cleaning easier. That way you won`t have to remove your wheels so often.

Make sure that you do one wheel at a time (unless you were planning to rotate your tires (VW recommends every 10,000 miles) and USE YOUR TORQUE WRENCH set to 88 ft/lbs (If you wnat to confirm, it`s in your owners manual in the Technical Spec`s booklet).

I hope that this helps.

ihetenyi
07-27-2001, 07:15 AM
Great car there! I guess I forgot to mention the reason I can`t take my wheels off. I rent, don`t have access to a garage and the property management`s very anal about working on cars in the parking areas. Its risky to even try and change my own oil. Sucks to not own property.

Thats the only reason I was asking about procedures with the wheels still on the car.

Steve

Brad B
07-27-2001, 07:42 AM
I thoroughly clean the insides of my rims every time I wash the car. I use a foam ended bottle brush. It`s important to get the right shape brush...use the plastic handled ones that have a bunch of individual foam "noodles" at the end that form a round baseball-size ball-shape at the end. This allows you to reach far back and even around corners. They are $2 at WalMart and K-Mart. They style is sometimes hard to find. I buy 2-3 of them whenever I see them.

I use EF HI cleaner also on all my wheels. Be sure to wet the wheel first. Only small amounts of EF HI are necessary. Most people over-use it.

Of course if you don`t like to clean dirty wheels you can always take a clean set off the shelf and use those. Heehee!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=781637&a=13481471&p=51647265 (`http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=781637&a=13481471&p=51647265`)

99323ic
07-27-2001, 09:28 AM
Bummer about the landlord. Maybe you can lay on the ground (or use a creeper) and reach around from behind. I know, not pretty, but...

Do you know anyone around that may have a garage? Or maybe at one of the self-service car wash areas??

Brad`s points are well taken, BTW.

imported_Jared
07-27-2001, 09:33 AM
Is it safe to use Hi-Intensity on the wheels every time I wash my car if I have a coat of AIO on them?

JasonC8301
07-27-2001, 09:41 AM
If you have Klasse AIO on your rims and you wash frequently (about once a week) you shouldn`t need to use EF on your wheel thats often. Some car wash shampoo, a seperate mitt and bucket should do the trick.

ihetenyi
07-27-2001, 09:42 AM
Jared - Ef HI will most likely remove your AIO. The coat of aio should allow you to effectively clean your rims using only a brush and car shampoo. However, I don`t think EF hi will harm your wheels (other than stripping aio) even if you do use it with each wash. Its powerful - but gentle stuff.

Steve

imported_Jared
07-27-2001, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys, I`ll try the brush and car shampoo method next time I wash my car.

tthomp82
10-28-2009, 09:41 AM
You are sitting at a red light and see the most dreaded of all things... the bum with a bucket of dirty water and brush... he starts to make his way towards your window trying to earn a couple of bucks... of course your window is not dirty... you wave at him "no" but he does not pay attention...

How do you fend off this "street detailier"??

Husker Z
10-28-2009, 10:35 AM
You are sitting at a red light and see the most dreaded of all things... the bum with a bucket of dirty water and brush... he starts to make his way towards your window trying to earn a couple of bucks... of course your window is not dirty... you wave at him "no" but he does not pay attention...

How do you fend off this "street detailier"??

Start spraying your windshield washers and turn your wipers on high! :D

imported_glfahlc
10-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Start spraying your windshield washers and turn your wipers on high! :D

i wouldn`t spray but i would turn my wipers on most def.

imported_firebird
10-28-2009, 11:39 AM
You said it, he is a bum. You probably could not offend him. I would open my windown and yell and him not to touch your car. These ppl should not be allowed on the street.

imported_Flash Gordon
10-28-2009, 12:06 PM
I keep money in my console strickly for this. I usually give $2, sometimes $5. :driving:

DLB
10-28-2009, 12:55 PM
I keep a pistol in my console strickly for this. I usually have 2, sometimes 5. :driving:

Fixed it. :smile:

DLB

(No, I do not condone the shooting of people who try to touch your vehicles, nor even acting like it).