PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washer

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

diggertoo
07-26-2001, 11:11 AM
This may have been discussed but just looking for thoughts to put this to rest. It`s not true is it?

This is from waxdepot.com FAQ.

"I see products advertised with acrylics/polymers in them. How are they different?

Acrylics and polymers are essentially plastics. Plastics are a man-made substance made from petroleum. Plastics have their place, but we do not feel it should be on your car`s finish.

When you use a natural carnauba wax, the paint is allowed to expand and contract naturally; the carnauba does not impede this process. However, plastics are a molecular "chain" that interlocks with the molecular "chains" next to them, so that no individual "chain" can move without all of the "chains" moving together. Because of this, plastics do not allow the paint to naturally expand and contract and can cause premature paint failure. This failure will show up in the form of cracked paint, sometimes also called "spider webbing" because of its look.

One last problem with plastic-based products is that they layer and build. With a carnauba-based product the wax does not build up in layers; each new application leaves a constant amount of wax on the car, regardless of how many times you apply it. With plastics, one layer builds on top of the existing layer; this can cause discoloration or yellowing of your car`s finish. To prevent this, most manufacturers of plastic-based coatings also sell a "cleaning" kit to remove the old coating. This "cleaning" kit is usually nothing more than a polish or solvent to remove the old plastic before applying more plastic.

We recommend using only natural carnauba-based products on your car`s finish to give it great protection and keep a great shine."

By the way I`m about 95% sure I`m going with the Klasse twins for my F250.

Thanks for any input.

DETAILKING
07-26-2001, 11:31 AM
polymers/plastics flex and will move with your paint. If anything carnuba won`t. Sure it`s a thin layer, but carnuba is hard and brittle Polymers are not, they have slight flexing and elastic properties.

touhy
07-26-2001, 11:34 AM
Inaccurate wives` tales. The Wax Depot started out as an online outlet for THE WAX SHOP products and their selling story was carnauba so, of course, they disparaged the competing technologies.

tom p.
07-26-2001, 12:27 PM
brought that nonsense up a couple of weeks ago.

07-26-2001, 01:52 PM
Detailking, didn`t Ron K debunk your statement that Zaino had "flex agents" in them?

Just how we can`t believe a site that sells exclusively carnauba about synthetics, we can`t believe a site that sells exclusively syhthetics about carnauba.

DETAILKING
07-26-2001, 02:12 PM
you are talking about........

imported_RIC
07-26-2001, 08:01 PM
http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=1383 (`http://216.147.22.29/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=1383`)

You believe everything Ron K says? From the above thread about MF towels he states, "There are two basic types, plush which is a 70-30 blend and regular which is a 80-20 blend of polyester and polydamide."

Now if you go to his site, you will see that both towels they are selling are 80/20 blend. Do you know why? Because the polyester/polyamide blend has NOTHING to do with the plushness of a MF towel.

This is just one example of Ron`s expertise.

What Ron did was accuse Zaino of lying and state that it does not have a flex agent. He did not debunk any statement about "flex agents".

Bob Post
07-26-2001, 09:43 PM
to beleive that hype also, until I studied up on the info for months before making the plunge. I NEVER buy on impulse

unless it`s something so cheap that I would not feel guilty for the purchase later, but anything I deem to be more expensive than the "norm", I study. Don`t go to the Malm`s

website, they sound like a broken record against synthetics also. I even printed out their statements against polymers.

People have been using polymer`s for years without evidence of cracking. They only sell carnuba, so what do you expect them to say? There is always resistance to change and advancement. Carnuba pushers may be *slightly* right, maybe

this "cracking" may happen on a super-sealed, garage kept car, but I think the car would be so old that paint failure was bound to happen anyway, in which the sealant helped to stave off the failure. It`s like the tire-cracking thing,

sure some products may crack your tires, but unless you have

200K tire life, you`ll never know and would have gotten rid of tires at their normal life expectancy anyway! I would rather take my chance with the protection that polymers offer now instead of the *chance* that 25 years down the road my paint *might* crack. I`m sure you will also.

Andre'
07-26-2001, 10:35 PM
Automotive paint is assentially plastic they have flex agents in them to keep them from cracking and lifting. This is how i know that a good sealant must have some kind of flex agent in them.

JS
07-26-2001, 11:19 PM
Ron seemed to give a pretty good explanation of the difference in the towels here:

http://autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=1817 (`http://autopia-carport.com/forum/showthread.php3?threadid=1817`)

--and IIRC, in his earlier posts about microfiber (a month or two ago) he was pretty upfront in saying that he was only getting around to testing and learning about the product himself.

Seems like you have a bit of a "chip on your shoulder". I wonder why?

When it comes to advice I will tend to listen to a guy who has a scientific background and uses scientific methods, who has been involved in manufacturing detailing products for years, and who is a consultant for auto manufacturers...rather than someone who just repeats the latest hearsay, as long as it happens to match their agenda.

I`ve detailed as a hobby for years now, but I have learned a lot reading Ron`s stuff, and so have many others on here, I`m willing to bet. Maybe you should try it.

ISLANDSBEST
07-27-2001, 02:19 AM
Hi JS.

There is science, and there is simply wrapping one`s self in status and asserting that others` observations are not valid because they do not have the same titles or industry position as you do.

Now, I agree with you. Fundementally, true (objective, dispassionate) science is where it is at. But, denying others the right to observe and report what they observe is not science, it is dismissing others -- it is saying they are lesser beings, whose observations and thoughts are inherently invalid, because they are not an establishment authority.

History shows that those who attack others, personally, rather than simply presenting objective information -- those that assert their superior status or position, rather than simply presenting objective information, do so because they cannot really defend their positions with facts and logic. The tip off is the person`s attitude toward people . . . are they contemptuous, dismissive, hauty, arrogant etc.? Or, truly scientific?

Lastly, most of the great, revolutionary and important scientific breakthoughs were done by mavericks who were condemned and ridiculed by the "experts."

Jeez, what have we gotten into? This is supposed be about keeping cars looking good!

JS
07-27-2001, 07:58 AM
Hi darbh:

I don`t think you can say Ron has simply used his "status"--he backs up his opinions with explanations and logical arguments. As a matter of fact he gave a good explanation of why it made little sense to include a flex agent in a paint sealant, but apparently RIC up here didn`t take the time to read it.

He also gave a good explanation of why paint sealants don`t cause paint to crack, which would have answered this person`s inital question.

Don2000g
07-27-2001, 10:19 AM
Beau, actually Ron did point out the flex ability flaw in one of Detailkings claims. Detailking mentioned that Zaino has flex agents and Ron K. mentioned something to the effect, "Detailking, now you`ve done it. You`ve mentioned a lot of bull in the past and now you`ve just gone overboard. Ron went on to mention that it was a total crock. At any rate, Detailkings post was later deleted.

Ric, Ron mentioned many times already that the 70/30 blend have more fibers per square inch. This is why they are plusher than the 80/20 blend. So his statement that the 70/30 blend are softer and or plusher is valid. Laters.

[Edited by Don2000g on 07-27-2001 at 05:45 PM]

DETAILKING
07-27-2001, 11:44 AM
Show me that post about the flex agents. Don`t quote things you can`t find. What do you mean I went overboard?! And what do you mean about me stating a lot of Bull?

You seem to have an attitude that it must be true if RON said so. I am not challenging his knowledge, but if he is so much of a role model for you, why are you using clay instead of his acid washes?

The flex ability of zaino is built in to the formulation and a property of the resins themselves. Please don`t go there.....you really don`t know what you are talking about, and you have never used those products.

07-27-2001, 12:37 PM
Detailking, you had made a comment that Zaino had elasticizers or flex agents; I don`t remember which exactly.

Ron replied that there is no such thing, but his post was mysteriously deleted.