PDA

View Full Version : Converting DVD to WMV files

Pages : [1] 2

ISLANDSBEST
07-26-2001, 03:40 AM
Have you used a pressure washer? Advantages/disadvantages?

Do you have opinions on using one?

TiCoup
07-26-2001, 08:44 AM
I`ve used various ones over the past 15 years. One word of warning, some coin op ones may use recycled water per the info of many forum members here. As far as the small models for drivway use it would be pretty hard to damage the paint. Just keep the wand tip a safe distance from the paint and if the spray tip is adjustable set it to a wide angle spray (like a "V" versus a jet stream). I always spray at an angle on the car`s surface, not straight on. I have never noticed any harmful effects when using them carefully.

The advantages, especially with SUV`s, is the ability to clean the underside and wheel wells and the ability to get a good spray unto the roof.

ISLANDSBEST
07-27-2001, 03:51 AM
Thanks.

Anyone else have experiences or opinions?

hkross
07-27-2001, 04:13 AM
I love my pressure washer. I am planning on buying a new one. It is great for my car not to mention cleaning aroung the yard.

scottybob1
07-27-2001, 10:22 PM
I have a pressure washer that runs off a 5HP gas engine. I have used it mainly to clean my patio and driveway. I just never have had the guts to use it on any of my vehicles. I guess if your careful and use the fan spray instead of the pinpoint spray you`d be ok, but again I don`t have the guts to try it on my cars.

ISLANDSBEST
07-28-2001, 02:42 AM
Jav, I can see why you would be concerned. I understand that high power, gas powered washers can remove paint.

Iowan, is your electric?

Todd@RUPES
10-27-2009, 11:10 PM
I have some miniDVD`s of car`s I have detailed, car shows, and work I have done, plus I would like to make some `how to video`s` with these files.

I am using Windows (what ever the Windows before 7 is).

When I put the disc into my drive I can play it on Windows Media Player but there are no options to copy it.

When I `explore` the disc the folder has .BUP;.IFO;.VOB files but I cannot copy or move them.

I was told I need a converter to change it to .wmv files?

I am using one from Zealotsoft but it stinks and wants my money to finish the job. I`m not sure why Microsoft continues to build partial systems when I could just pop the DVD in a MAC and be done... but oh well....

How do I copy this thing from my DVD disk to my hard drive and why is it so difficult?

Thanks

dennn
10-28-2009, 01:41 AM
Hello Todd!!! There are a lot of free converters for the task. In fact, they are very popular in order for people to make pirated videos for downloading through BT.

I think finding a converter for specifically converting a DVD to WMV may be difficult. However you could easily convert a DVD to AVI files much easier.

Why do you need WMV? AVI is just as flexible!

Todd@RUPES
10-28-2009, 02:11 AM
Hello Todd!!! There are a lot of free converters for the task. In fact, they are very popular in order for people to make pirated videos for downloading through BT.

I think finding a converter for specifically converting a DVD to WMV may be difficult. However you could easily convert a DVD to AVI files much easier.

Why do you need WMV? AVI is just as flexible!

I want to use Windows Movie Maker, can I do this with a AVI? Do you have a free converter that will turn my files into an AVI that you recommend?

dennn
10-28-2009, 03:30 AM
AVI works with Windows Movie Maker, but if in doubt, install FFDshow, which will automatically adapt it Windows Movie Maker for AVI files. FFDshow can be found here:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffdshow

For ripping DVD to AVI, please try this:
http://bitripper.com/download.html

This is very easy to use, and my guess is that you have already come across something like this on your search for a converter. If you haven`t tried it, this tool is fairly simple.

There are other more advanced converters, but they require additional utilities and tools that run in the background. They also offer better quality ripping and features for advanced video editing with studio quality.

imported_doctordon
10-28-2009, 07:04 AM
dennn`s advice is spot on.
In case you don`t want to download software, here`s a free online conversion site: http://media-convert.com/.

You have to look around the advertisements for the input and output formats. I`ve used it for several other types on file conversions but never video.

Good luck.

Todd@RUPES
10-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Thank you guys very much for all of the help (and Chris Dasher aka PorscheGuy997)!

Todd@RUPES
10-28-2009, 08:08 AM
AVI works with Windows Movie Maker, but if in doubt, install FFDshow, which will automatically adapt it Windows Movie Maker for AVI files. FFDshow can be found here:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffdshow

For ripping DVD to AVI, please try this:
http://bitripper.com/download.html

This is very easy to use, and my guess is that you have already come across something like this on your search for a converter. If you haven`t tried it, this tool is fairly simple.

There are other more advanced converters, but they require additional utilities and tools that run in the background. They also offer better quality ripping and features for advanced video editing with studio quality.

FWIW, Bitripper worked great ONE TIME. Now when I open it to burn more files it says Bitripper has stopped working. I have reset my computer but it seems to be a one hit wonder. Worked great one time. Any other suggestions?!

Todd@RUPES
10-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Okay I reinstalled it.. .Still didn`t work.

Uninstalled it and reinstalled it.... Still didn`t work.

This is why I hate computers... How come it can work one time then just stop working...

Arghhh.. Must... Not... Buy.... An.... Apple.... Spent.... Too.... Much.... On.... My.... Fancy.... Quad Core... Computer...

Todd@RUPES
10-28-2009, 08:15 AM
dennn`s advice is spot on.
In case you don`t want to download software, here`s a free online conversion site: http://media-convert.com/.

You have to look around the advertisements for the input and output formats. I`ve used it for several other types on file conversions but never video.

Good luck.

Thanks Don. I don`t like that program because it is confusing to a computer moron like me. I don`t know which files I need to convert because they all have these wierd extensions. The disk has about 8 files on it, which do I need to conver?

Why does Windows/MS/PC insist on making this stuff so difficult?