PDA

View Full Version : megs 105 vs. sip

yonghyun
07-26-2001, 12:35 AM
on the bumper of my integra, i`ve noticed that a lot of spots show up when the car gets dusty or dirty. with a good washing and waxing the spots disappear, but come back again.

when i put my hand over the spots, it feels rough and somewhat etched. what`s the best way to get rid of these spots? also since the front is plastic do i need to use a different product or can i just use some polish i have

imported_glfahlc
10-27-2009, 12:24 PM
i`ve noticed a lot of you pros use megs 105 then switch to the menzerna products.ie; 106fa and 85rd,,, is the 105 better than sip in removing swirls and scratches. if so, whats the difference..

imported_broker99
10-27-2009, 04:47 PM
SIP is an aggressive polish and 105 is a compound. It really depends on what you are are working on and what pads you are using. It also depends on how deep the scrathes and swirls are and how hard the clear is. Start with the least aggressive product first and work your way up with products and pads. SIP was the go to product before 105 and 205 came along. It is nice to have a couple products on hand. I am wanting to try out Menzerna`s power finish next. That is my thoughts anyway.

Todd@RUPES
10-28-2009, 07:27 AM
i`ve noticed a lot of you pros use megs 105 then switch to the menzerna products.ie; 106fa and 85rd,,, is the 105 better than sip in removing swirls and scratches. if so, whats the difference..

M105 is a fairly aggressive compound in that it removes material faster then SIP, so it will remove swirls and scratches faster, and perhaps in less passes then SIP.

IMO, SIP is still a GREAT medium step polish that finishes very well. M105 is a GREAT compound that finishes very well.

With SIP and it`s traditional diminishing abrasives you are locked into a buffing cycle. If you want the best possible finish from the step you have to work SIP long enough to completely fracture the aluminum oxide clustered abrasives until they are extremely fine. So it takes a while to get the best results as each section must be polished for a length of time in order for the abrasives to break down.

With M105 and its non-traditional non-diminishing abrasives, you are not locked into a buffing cycle. It is only abrasive for as long as it is worked, which gives the user the control to stop polishing as soon as the defects are removed. It is really only as aggressive as you want it to be. This drastically reduces the time needed to correct a section. From a minute or more with SIP to as little as 10-15 seconds with M105.

Both still have their place, but I prefer M105 more often (although it is completely different). SIP enhanced the way I polish; M105 changed it.

imported_glfahlc
10-28-2009, 08:09 AM
i understand why you are a professional detailer todd. even your answers touch on the finer points... thanks for explaining that to me, got my order for 105 and some orange pads already..

imported_superchargedg
10-29-2009, 08:17 PM
I used to only use menzerna polishes untill the megs 95,105 and 205 came out.When i originally tried 105 i hated it cause it would dry up very fast.This is the main reasons i come to these sites to learn and as i learn the different ways to use certain polishes i now love 105 but i still use the menzerna stuff more then the megs.