PDA

View Full Version : Go to Product Line

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

CJ from Granite Bay, CA
07-25-2001, 04:58 PM
Since there is an abundance of car care products on the market, perhaps there should be a list of what to avoid using any why. The list should include household products that are commonly used by individuals when detailing there autos.

Bob Post
07-25-2001, 06:45 PM
a whole line of bad products. If you notice, not one line of products holds a reign on all different types of cleaners.

For example, Blitz makes great wax, but it`s protectant or polishes may not be as good as 3M polishes. That`s what this forum is about, finding a gem of a product amongst the myriad thousands of products out there. From each manufacturer, there is one or two great products, the other

80% probably won`t cut is as a good product. Personally, I would stay away from Blue Coral, Turtle Wax (even though I heae the tire gel is OK)and most off-brand stuff. Mequires,

Zaino, Klasse, Mothers, Malms and other brands seem to do a great job, if you find the right product. Maybe somebody will help me fill in the blanks?

07-25-2001, 07:19 PM
Avoid anything with silicone unless you like greasy shiny and constant application to maintain that look. There are more reasons but if those two should do it.

jr weeks
07-25-2001, 08:10 PM
Because you wouldn`t be using many products at all without silicone. The "bad" silicone is dimethyl silicone. The PDMS variety is in so many "good" products, such as 303 aerospace protectant , and you sure don`t want to take that away from us.

imported_RIC
07-25-2001, 08:49 PM
I agree with you Michael, avoid products with Silicone oils and abrasives. Unless you have the need to use abrasives.

ALM
07-25-2001, 08:52 PM
One man`s garbage is another man`s treasure. Im sure there are many people out there who think Turtle Wax is the greatest thing in the world, and if they are happy then so be it. Granted many of the products that we use, such as Klasee AIO are superior in many ways, but im sure there are lots of people out there who think we`re nuts paying $22+ for a bottle of the stuff, and are perfectly happy with their Zymol, Gold Class, etc.

But to answer your question, you can Add Amor-all, and their tire foams to your list, they are garbage.

Ken B
07-25-2001, 09:13 PM
I believe many newbies have the same dilema so here it goes

Before Autopia.. I bought plenty of Armor all... so now I do not plan to use it in my car`s interioir but have a hard time just throwing it away...

Is it ok to just use a lot if it on my tires until I run out, and then continue with Turtle Wax tire Gel (ala DKing), 303 or Zaino?

Any other uses you might suggest?

imported_ewiesner
07-25-2001, 09:15 PM
Never use sponges! *except when washing the dishes*

alpine
07-25-2001, 09:27 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by mazman [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Never use sponges! *except when washing the dishes* [/b]</blockquote>
Is this true for sea sponges as well??

imported_Brad
07-25-2001, 09:42 PM
It is for me. I hate sponges.

I use my cheap rubber/plastic dressings for the wheelwells.

scottybob1
07-25-2001, 09:46 PM

<strong class=`bbc`>
Any suggestion on what to do with left over Armor ALL[/b]</blockquote>

I used my left over Armor-All to detail the inside of the wheel-wells.

bv357
07-25-2001, 10:25 PM
Tried it. Not very happy with it. Useless unless you have very, very, very, very light swirls. In that case you probably don`t need it anyways!

3MIHG: Good but only temporary as it fills in the scracthes until you wash again.

07-25-2001, 10:37 PM
I have these self-contained dumbbells called Powerblocks. The instructions say to lubricate them periodically with Armor-All; so I found a use for mine!

Products I didn`t like:

Klasse Vinyl/Leather/Rubber/Cleaner/Conditioner. Smells like kerosene and with the same consistancy.

One Grand Wash-N-Wax. It may be mega cheap, but it`s not very concentrated. Using P21S currently and it is mega-concentrated. Should probably change my signature.

3M Imperial Hand Glaze and One Grand Omega Glaze. Not that these are bad products, but I don`t have a use for them anymore that I use Klasse.

Meguiar`s Body Scrub and Meguiar`s Gold Class Clear Coat Prep And Swirl Reducer. Didn`t seem to do anything.

Footy
07-25-2001, 10:43 PM

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by Belicoso [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Any other uses you might suggest? [/b]</blockquote>On the old forum, somebody suggested that the Armor-all containers could be used as weights to hold down the protective sheets we sometimes use to protect adjacent surfaces when buffing, polishing, etc

PassatPunk
07-25-2001, 11:01 PM
some "Kiwi" rubber/vinyl protectant. Both of these products I use to clean the wheel wells and "protect" them. I think wheel wells usually get the cheap(er) stuff. Especially on a daily driver like the cars I try to brush up on.

I am soon to run out of this Car wash stuff though. What will I use now for cleaning the wheel wells? I will probably just go out and buy some more... whatever is cheap.

PassatPunk.

BTW, good to save some of these bottles too so if you ever are kind enough to receive/donate some product to a fellow Autopian Buddy, you have some appropriate containers. Unlike the salt and pepper shakers I rushed out to Jason.