PDA

View Full Version : Tipping

Pages : [1] 2 3

ALM
07-25-2001, 10:20 AM
I Re-Blitzed my car last week and I think I "locked in" some water spots that were on the car. So I think what I need to do now is wash my car with the Water/Vinegar? mixutre to strip the wax and the water spots. I`ve never done a water/vinegar wash b4 i guessing it couldn`t be too hard...what is the proper ratio of water to vinegar? 50/50?

Also, if this will strip my wax can I re-apply a coat of SG b4 I re-Blitz?

Is there anything else I need to know about doing this?

JasonC8301
07-25-2001, 10:31 AM
A good ratio to start off is 50/50 vinegar and distilled water. You would wash your car as usual, the use this solution on the affected area, then wash again to get all the residue off. I think that the Klasse SG can be applied since the Blitz is stipped and i think this solution will remove some if not all the Klasse undearneath the Blitz (assuming you did apply Klasse under the Blitz.)

I do not think the waterspots etched into the clear, but try the vinegar bath first and post results.

So, wash, vinegar bath, wash, Klasse SG (multiple coatS), then Blitz.

i woudl wear rubber gloves to protect your hands while working with this vinegar, and use a seperate wash mitt.

rmccall6
07-25-2001, 10:32 AM
id just use a polish or cleaner to strip the wax and remove the water spots...especially since you want to re SG again.

ALM
07-25-2001, 04:14 PM
Jason- Im pretty sure there is no clear on my car.

Two seemingly conflicting views on weither or not I can add a layer of SG after the Water/Vinegar mix...I guess if the mixture doesnt strip Klasse, i should be ok?

JasonC8301
07-25-2001, 04:18 PM
whoops, my bad, forgot your integra does not have a clear.

I don`t know if the vinegar will strip the Klasse, but I know it will strip the Blitz.

ALM
07-25-2001, 08:34 PM
Jason thanks for your help!

Sounds like I`d be better off using a light abrasive such as 3M SMR to rid my car of the water spots, cuz im not really sure if the Vinegar will strip the Klasse either and I really dont wanna risk not having all of my Klasse layers on my car.

Would there be any harm in leaving them? They are deffinitly on top of the Klasse AIO and SG layers, and you kinda hafta look @ my hood a certian way to see them. Any thoughts?

JasonC8301
07-26-2001, 08:15 AM
I think once you find water spots on your car you should remove them quickly. They will etch into the paint in your integra and you will have to rub a lot with the 3M or move on to a more agressive polish.

Had this problem on a 99 corolla, last winter left the water spots on the car for 5 months (december-april) and had to use the PC with a cutting pad and Finesse It II to remove the water marks.

Remember to re-klasse after using 3M SMR.

tthomp82
10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Have any of you ever had a customer who was so impressed with the level of detail that they tipped you beyond the cost of the paint correction? Or is tipping a standard practice? Just curious.

Old Pirate
10-26-2009, 03:14 PM
I had a few who tip me very very well. Most don`t tip, but my average is around 20-30 bucks.

imported_Luster
10-26-2009, 05:57 PM
I`d say about 20% of my customers give a tip.

Sometimes an extra $10 or $20.

I wouldn`t say it`s standard practice. Some people don`t even tip in restaraunts! Those young waitresses only make about $4 per hour!!! (don`t get me started..............):cursing:

MB Fan
10-26-2009, 06:25 PM
My wife tips me when I detail her mini-van but that`s a discussion for another forum :wink:

bigpoppa
10-26-2009, 06:37 PM
A few of my better customers who appreciate the intense work that detailing involves usually tip.

The ones who bring me the trashed beaters are the ones who don`t really tip.

Street Dreams
10-26-2009, 08:49 PM
I just finished a small part of a huge collection, I charged the owner the same amount for each car done (some were easier and some harder so it evened out my per HR/rate) I was paid in full and cahs for all the cars I detailed + the price of another car (if I did another) as tip. Very very very generous!

I Never, never count money in front of a client!!! I counted it at home and immediately sent off an email thanking him for the opportunity and his gratuity. Dealing with someone who takes care of you like that and is such a powered powered person it would abosolutely offend them to offer back a gratuity, no matter how much the amount.

You need to think hard about what type of client and how he or she chooses to tip you.

Some people tip as a gesture because they think its proper but may feel its forced to services rendered. I personally think a detail is enough payment in itself if you charge exactly what you needed too.

If a customer hands me extra tip as a small gesture I politely refuse 1 time, if they persist I politely accept.

DO NOT GET INTO A DEATH MATCH TRYING TO REFUSE A TIP, YOU WILL OFFEND A CUSTOMER.

Reading people is key, see how they respond to offering or giving a tip. If you see true genuine appreciation (voice, facial expressions) then in their minds offering you a tip is 100% justified and they WANT you to have it for a job well done.

If they are slow to offer a tip or fumble for cash or a check than they most likely are stalling for time in hopes you say "Oh please no gratuity is needed".

Call me crazy but this is how I do things, hope it helps you.

imported_Flash Gordon
10-26-2009, 09:04 PM
I just finished a small part of a huge collection, I charged the owner the same amount for each car done (some were easier and some harder so it evened out my per HR/rate) I was paid in full and cahs for all the cars I detailed + the price of another car (if I did another) as tip. Very very very generous!

I Never, never count money in front of a client!!! I counted it at home and immediately sent off an email thanking him for the opportunity and his gratuity. Dealing with someone who takes care of you like that and is such a powered powered person it would abosolutely offend them to offer back a gratuity, no matter how much the amount.

You need to think hard about what type of client and how he or she chooses to tip you.

Some people tip as a gesture because they think its proper but may feel its forced to services rendered. I personally think a detail is enough payment in itself if you charge exactly what you needed too.

If a customer hands me extra tip as a small gesture I politely refuse 1 time, if they persist I politely accept.

DO NOT GET INTO A DEATH MATCH TRYING TO REFUSE A TIP, YOU WILL OFFEND A CUSTOMER.

Reading people is key, see how they respond to offering or giving a tip. If you see true genuine appreciation (voice, facial expressions) then in their minds offering you a tip is 100% justified and they WANT you to have it for a job well done.

If they are slow to offer a tip or fumble for cash or a check than they most likely are stalling for time in hopes you say "Oh please no gratuity is needed".

Call me crazy but this is how I do things, hope it helps you.

Nailed It ^^^ ;)

I don`t even want to go into some of the tips/gratuitys that have been bestowed on me. I have been very fortunate.

When payment is made to me, I never look at the amount(check or cash) I fold it up, put it in my pocket and continue on with the conversation at hand

I can`t say I wait till I get home to check the amount, but I at least wait to get out of eyeshot of client :o

dennn
10-26-2009, 11:11 PM
A customer of mine gave me a couple bottles of apple juice. It was not bad.

I have detailed a few cars and most of them do not tip me. However, I think that`s okay. I believe that tipping is optional. It has been deemed necessary by the restaurant workers. Remember, most of us detailers have hourly rates equivalent of around $15/hr. The restaurant workers roughly at around $6/hr. They need tips to survive, and it`s understandable.

I notice that most workers in the service industry get offended when they are not tipped adequately. In one of my Las Vegas trips eight years ago, a Mexican taxi driver chased me and my family down the hotel entrance to berate us because we only tipped him 5%. He demanded that we tip him at least 20% on the basis that his cab was a 8 seater van. I gave him the 20% he demanded. The hotel valets and workers just looked at us all weird, almost as if I deserved to be berated for not tipping 20%.