PDA

View Full Version : Hot water extractor?????

Pages : [1] 2 3

andrew43
07-25-2001, 08:31 AM
Hi all,

My BMW 330i has approximately 3500 miles on it now, and in the right light, I can see swirls in the wood trim that surrounds the shifter (on the center console). I was wondering what product would be safe to remove these swirls and get the wood "shining" like it does on my dash and doors.

TIA!

TiCoup
07-25-2001, 09:59 AM
I may be wrong, but chances are the trim has some kind of a clear coat surface on it and you should be able to use a mild swirl mark remover just as you would on clear coat paint surface.

DETAILKING
07-25-2001, 11:11 AM
i would try some MILD abrasives or Zainos plastic polish.

TiCoup
07-25-2001, 11:29 AM
They put plastic simulated wood in BMW`s? I was thinking it would be the real thing. Wouldn`t a mild paint abrasive be effective on the plastic surface too?

andrew43
07-25-2001, 12:59 PM
The BMW has real wood but like just about every other wood trim out there, it has a thick acrylic coat on it. Thanks for the suggestions guys..I`ll try it out!

tonysandiego
07-25-2001, 03:15 PM
on the black graphite trim in my 528 and worked very well. Just use sparingly and buff with a MF towel.

JasonC8301
07-25-2001, 03:18 PM
After the scratches are removed using a MILD abrasive, as DETAILKING pointed out, protect the plastic with a plastic protectant. I would recommend Plexus to protect and clean (not remove scratches) the plastic.

imported_Jared
07-25-2001, 03:40 PM
Does the wood trim in the 3 series BMW`s differ from the kind in the 5 or 7 series?

DETAILKING
07-25-2001, 03:51 PM
looks great though....especially the shifter knob!

PAR Detailing
10-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Im thinking about getting a hot water extractor for my detailing business. I have never used one but the internet says its the best... i was wondering if any of youall have used one and is it worth the money verses my hand, brush, and wetdry vac?
Peace
Jon

Bluegrass Cat
10-26-2009, 03:01 PM
I only detail my own car and a few others only here and there so I only use Bissel`s Little Green Machine. By no means is it as good as an extractor but for the hobbyist, it does a pretty good job. If I were doing detailing full time or maybe even if I were cleaning mats, carpet and upholstery every weekend I would probably put up the money for an extractor. If I were in a fixed location I would go for the Mytee 8070 or the HP60. If I were mobile, I would probably go for something smaller.

Old Pirate
10-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Is this only for a part time business?

imported_Stokdgs
10-26-2009, 05:29 PM
I have a Mytee HP601; its not small, but it pulls the heck out of the hot water/solution it injects at 100psi into the carpet. It will totally clean any type of upholstery, carpet, etc., even the pedals while you are down there cleaning the carpet. But the drawback, its big, but has nice wheels, you would need a van or truck, jeep, something with a big space, to haul it around, and it requires a 20amp circuit they say, but I seem to be ok running it at 15-20 amps, depending on what circuit I use in my garage.
You would be amazed at how dirty the return tank is after you do even floor mats that look clean and have been cleaned religiously- there is still a ton of dirt down there at the bottom, that this unit will pull out. It will have a tougher time with lots of sand, because sand tends to let water run past it, and is harder to extract at the very bottom of carpets, etc..
I feel for me, it is a necessary tool today given how much dirt and crap we already inhale in some housing that was built with leak problems that introduce dirt, mold, etc., the stuff that causes sick building syndrome, etc., so I will always use it in my vehicles and everyone that comes through my garage.
These boys are not cheap, prepare to spend almost a couple of grand for one as big as mine, and less for smaller versions. I chose Mytee for the reputation and the ability to change out the various pumps and motors easily if/when needed.
ProperAutoCare sells these, and perhaps other brands.. And of course the Internet has hundreds of models, trust me, I know, because I ran all of them down, before I made my purchase earlier this year..

Good luck with this !
Dan F

imported_broker99
10-26-2009, 06:07 PM
I only detail my own car and a few others only here and there so I only use Bissel`s Little Green Machine. By no means is it as good as an extractor but for the hobbyist, it does a pretty good job. If I were doing detailing full time or maybe even if I were cleaning mats, carpet and upholstery every weekend I would probably put up the money for an extractor. If I were in a fixed location I would go for the Mytee 8070 or the HP60. If I were mobile, I would probably go for something smaller.

Does anyone else have a LGM? How well does it work? I have seen reman ones fairly cheap.

Old Pirate
10-26-2009, 06:17 PM
The LGM works for the a home owner who just wants to take care of his/her car. But for using all the time for a business it won`t make it. We do sell Mytee Extractor`s : http://www.properautocare.com/myteeproducts.html