PDA

View Full Version : Touch up paint???

Jngrbrdman
07-24-2001, 10:06 PM
I have a guy at work who wants me to do his Lexus. It isn`t much of a Lexus but he is pretty proud of it. Not proud enough to take care of it, however. He left it under a sprinkler about a week or so ago and he never washed it or did anything to get the water off. Now it is baked on sooooo bad by the Hellish hot week we have had that I don`t know how I am going to get it off. I told him that I would have to get back to him because I am just working out of my trunk and don`t think I have what it is going to take to get this stuff off. I mean, it is thick! I haven`t ever seen hard water damage like this before. And to make matters worse it is a dark green car. Any advice of what I can use to get it off? Or maybe something I can suggest he do to get it off? I have told him to hand wash it with dawn detergent and vinegar to see if that helps. It couldn`t hurt. I don`t want to take this project on without knowing what it is going to take to finish it.

hook
07-24-2001, 10:45 PM
I`d try starting with a 50-50 water/vinegar mixture. If that doesn`t take it off, go to the least aggressive polish, maybe even try just a cleaner or cleaner wax on a spot. Then work your way up in aggressiveness. I had some luck with Meguiar`s Scratch-X, if local/quick availability matters.

Hve you looked at the spots with a magnifying glass or jewelers loupe to see if it`s actually etched the paint? If so, you can skip right to more aggressiveness, maybe start with Finesse-It II material...

re,

Andy

Dark Silver
07-24-2001, 10:56 PM
I use Klasse AIO and a microfiber applicator.

Use the AIO and rub into the water spot for some time. I found they go away with some effort on your part. This is a non-abrasive angle on your problem. (Unless you consider the rubbing of the MF on the surface abrasive, and on some scale, it is).

imported_99tl
10-26-2009, 01:46 PM
I`m not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but here goes

I have 2 different year black Acura`s. I reached for the wrong touch up paint:redface: and dabbed a couple of spots on the hood. The color is off a bit. Now this was a few months ago (I know I should have taken care of this by now but life`s been hectic).

1.My questions do I have to remove the old paint before I touch it up?
2.Can i get a way with sanding and touching up with the correct color? This might work since the filled chip isn`t up to the same level as the rest of the paint.
3. Will adding a clear coat on top of the touchup make the color darker or lighter?

FYI - I`ve only done touchup on light colored cars with good results.
Thanks

imported_Stokdgs
10-26-2009, 05:49 PM
I have touched up all kinds of cars for years using the correct camel hair sword brush, the paint and appropriate thinner/reducer/etc.. Back then the idea was to get the proper amount of properly mixed paint just in the spot that was missing it, let it dry really good, and gently buff it smooth if needed, and add wax, etc..
Nowadays, there are different ways to do this easier I think. The best one I have found that works really good, and leaves the chip filled and shiny again, is Dr. Color Chip. I did a mark on my wife`s Acura MDX, and you could not see it easily unless you looked closely. This brand is a 2-part system, the paint goes on, it can be blobbed on, and then another bottle of liquid is used to rub the paint blob off evenly, let it dry, and its pretty much gone, depending on how deep it was to begin with.
Its not the cheapest, but in my experience, it did what they say it would do the first time out.

Good luck
Dan F