PDA

View Full Version : World Series

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Pats300zx
07-24-2001, 05:00 PM
I have tried to read as much of the archives and past posts, but I still haven`t found the answer.

I recently moved. At my prior apt, the probem was dust, which wasn`t that much of a problem, really, just meant I got to wash my car twice a week (which I enjoy), as a dusty / dirty black car looks horrid.

However, my new house (!) has come with, shall we say, unanticipated issues which I need to solve.

Specifically, birds bombs and sap, which my current regimine doesn`t seem to be able to handle - that is, the sap/BB are very quickly (max 2 hrs in the sun for the BB, overnight for the sap) etching into the clear coat on my pearl black B5 (roof only, so far). While no one else can see it, I know it`s happening, and it bugs me to no end.

My current regimine:

1. mcguiars gold class shampoo

2. IHG x 2

3. mcguiars #26 (paste) x2

I have been very happy with the looks / shine of the above, although I was going to go Blitz when the #26 ran out.

But the BB/Sap is drving me nuts, and I need to deal with this ASAP.

So, what will give me the best protection?

Klasse AIO (x2, I gather), SG x2, then carnuba, or does going Zaino make more sense?

TIA

07-24-2001, 05:09 PM
Klasse is definately the easier to apply, with less products. Depends on which look you`re going for. Either product is exceptional.

Both with Klasse and Zaino, it is up to the user how many layers he or she wishes to put down.

imported_Pats300zx
07-24-2001, 05:26 PM
Ease of application isn`t really a determinative for me. I can handle (and enjoy) spending a weekend on the car every month. If all other factors are equal, or very close, then perhaps ease and time would come into play. Also, for my purposes, price of the Zaino system or the Klasse pair is not a factor.

What I`m trying to achieve is:
1. greater protection from etching than carnuba seems to give me (is it just the #26?), and
2. at least equal looks.

As to the latter, I`ve gathered from prior posts that the Z v. K issue, looks wise, can be hotly debated. That`s not the discussion I`m trying to ignite. Each prodcut has ardent and civil proponents. And, frankly, a <strong class=`bbc`>small[/b] lessening of looks would be acceptable, though not very welcome.

ALM
07-24-2001, 06:05 PM
The Klasse system will give you just as good if not better looks than your current system, it will also provide you with superior protection than a carnuaba wax can provide as it is an acrylic sealant. I don`t think you will be dissapointed with the results from the Klasse system.

imported_RIC
07-24-2001, 07:20 PM
Birds bombs and sap are tough on all polishes and waxes. If you don`t remove them promptly and/or they are rewet and sun dried they will bake in and etch, especially dark colors.
Sealants and polymers should provide better protection than waxes, but don`t count it. Your best bet is expedicious removal.
Read David B`s Bird Poop article:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/birdbombs.html (`http://www.autopia-carcare.com/birdbombs.html`)

ISLANDSBEST
07-25-2001, 04:29 AM
A modern impulse is to try to find a high tech solution for problems. That is not always the best approach. Sometimes, low tech is better.

Also, the best cure is often avoidance of the problem to begin with. So, I use a car cover! Once you get the hang of it, you can put it on in 20-30 seconds.

ihetenyi
07-25-2001, 06:47 AM
Thats a great point that people sometimes don`t think about. If my car were under attack by birds and sap (which are two of the nastiest things to hit your paint) I would consider investing in a nice cover. I would also take the time to learn how to properly put it on and take it off to avoid any unnecessary micro-marring from the cover.

My suggestion would be to upgrade to a sealant protection system (zaino/klasse) at a minimum, consistently remove contaminants in a timely manner with the proper products, and get the car some physical protection. But before you strip your wax and layer on zaino or klasse, you might want to consider researching the steps necessary to actually remove the etching that has already developed (IHG only hides the issue temporarily). Unless, of course, you`re okay with the problems that you have now and just want to keep things from getting worse.

Also - I doubt you will have any lessening of looks by going to zaino or klasse.

Good luck

Steve

Brad B
07-25-2001, 07:30 AM
I agree with wolfsburg, this may not be the answer you wanted but it will solve the problem. Quality car covers can be had for $150 and are extremely quick to put on once you learn the system. I used to cover my car at work everyday and it didn`t slow me down a bit.

imported_Pats300zx
07-25-2001, 01:02 PM
1. I have read all of the available articles / posts etc I could find on birdbombs and sap, here, carcareonline, and the detailing forum on http://www.vwvortex.com. (`http://www.vwvortex.com.`) Just seemed to me there`s a wealth of knowledge here that I wanted to try and tap.

2. I would say that I am very good at getting to the droppings (collective) and removing them from my paint. I check every time I go to my car. I have avoided the trees since the first week (I didn`t realize I was going to have a problem - arggg - since I hadn`t been around trees in quite a long time. Stupid, I know.

3. While a cover would definitely help, it`s not terribly practical for what I need. The car is garaged at work, and garaged at night. My problems tend to show up on weekends and evenenings when I`m in-n-out on errands and such. Even a 5 minute job, on either end of an errand, would basically be out of the question, for me, since it would entail at least an hour`s work every day / eve.

Koyaanisqatsi
07-25-2001, 02:03 PM
Once upon a time I used Klasse with a Blitz topper. I had 3 coats of Klasse SG and a few coats of blitz on top. I got a bird bomb on the hood that was there for a few hours while I was in the office. I quickly removed it at the end of the day with meguiars #34. You could see a faint spot, in the exact shape of the BB, where the blitz had been removed by the BB. The shine beneath was unmistakable as the Klasse shine. It had removed the Blitz but not the Klasse. I was impressed to say the least. I was sold on Klasse at that point and also have now stopped putting th eblitz topper on since my truck is harvest mettalic gold.

YoSteve
07-25-2001, 04:56 PM
I`m not sure if it was mentioned already but the consensus is not to use bird crap/bug/tar remover because it`ll strip wax. I soak QD on the blemish (not sure if it`ll work with sap) for a good minute or two then wipe with a good microfiber towel (daily if needed). (it would be easier to soak if QD came in foam, though, for the vertical bird bomb action)

TCM
07-25-2001, 07:42 PM
Zymol has developed the Titanium wax for issues just like yours. The Titanium contains a larger amount of yellow carnauba then their normal waxes which results in greater protection. Yellow carnauba=protection, white carnauba =shine. While this may help you to a degree, I would recommend that you remove the sap and bird droppings as soon as possible. You may even want to consider a car cover for extra protection. Good luck.

T.C.

Ken B
07-25-2001, 08:49 PM
You can allways use the AXE for a "permanent" fix...

Just kidding

ALM
07-25-2001, 08:58 PM
TC- Will the titanium wax proivde the same degree of protection as an acrylic sealant such as AIO?

Try a car cover and/or a chain saw for another solution. :)

ISLANDSBEST
07-26-2001, 02:35 AM
wolfsburg: thanks for the validation. Good point on car cover use. I never put the cover on my car without first wiping it down. With the car covered during day and at night, and wiped down before the cover goes on, it never really gets dirty, so the cover hardly gets dirty. Now, if I did not follow this regime, the cover would get dirty, and problems could result.