PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Wheel Cleaning

Pages : [1] 2 3

PassatPunk
07-24-2001, 10:24 AM
What is this process of serging?

I am t hinking of joing the boat with Jason and purchase some of those Charismas from Fieldcrest. I wanted to get one of the large towels they have an dcut it up maybe into three pieces for buffing purposes. So after cutting them would like to sew/serge them.

Thanks. PassatPunk.

DETAILKING
07-24-2001, 10:44 AM
He already does this with charisma`s and royal velvets and purchased a special reverse stiching sewing maching and uses 100% cotton thread. His prices are very good too.

KR CoolShine
07-24-2001, 10:53 AM
Passat:

A serger is special sewing maching that uses (I think) three spools of thread and sews a kind of overstitch/binding stitch on the unfinished edge of a fabric.

My mother has one of these machines and I intend to spend an afternoon at her house with the dozen Charisma towels that I am also expecting tomorrow.

I will end up with between 36 and 48 towels depending on how I size the finished towels. All for under 60 clams.

Now, the obsessive guy in me will have to go out and find the perfect matching 100% cotton thread for the Silverose towels!

JasonC8301
07-24-2001, 11:03 AM
Where are you located michaelb? I might be using 6 for cars, hey I gotta have some nice towels to dry myself off! How long would it take to cut 6 towels in 4 sections and serge all these towels together (24 towels for 6)?

DETAILKING
07-24-2001, 11:13 AM
From KevinSS---->I have two kinds of towels, both white color only, edges removed and re sewn on a special machine called a serger with all cotton thread to prevent ravel. The edges I put on have to been washed gently as after all it is a cotton thread and can beat up by the washing machine.
I have Fieldcrest Royal Velvet and Fieldcrest Charisma, the Royal Velvets are great but the Charismas are a tad bit heavier.

My standard towels come in a pack of 2 sized 20 inches by 28 inches approx, one pack of Royal Velvet is 15.00 and one pack of Charismas are 18.00.

If I know how many you want I can give you an order total with shipping.

I take credit cards online with http://www.paypal.com (`http://www.paypal.com`) or people mail me checks. If you want to order online with a credit card, let me know as I have to send you a funds request from my payment service.

koverall@cddn.com

tonysandiego
07-24-2001, 02:53 PM
the link below will show what they look like. Prices range from $150-400 I think. Easy to use once you get the hang of it. You may be able to find one used on E-bay for cheap!http://www.babylock.com/

tonysandiego
07-24-2001, 02:54 PM
http://www.babylock.com/ (`http://www.babylock.com/`)

JasonC8301
07-24-2001, 03:26 PM
The stuff we detailers go through for that perfect detailing towel....a few hundred dollars for a serger(sp?) is too rich for my blood.

KR CoolShine
07-24-2001, 04:25 PM
I might do mine on Saturday. I will let you guys know.

jkochis
07-24-2001, 09:13 PM
Just another idea. You can get 18x32 white Charisma towels from the Fieldcrest outlet for $6.99. A little more expensive than the giant silverose bath towel, but in a more manageable size and white.

PassatPunk
07-24-2001, 11:00 PM
I hear what ya mean. White may be a better color to detail with for the reasons stated above.

But I think with the larger size, they can always be cut down. And the color does not seem to be too much of a problem. At only 4.99 a towel these bad boys are tough to not try out...

Looking forward to hearing reviews of these. Both on the car and after the shower.. hehe.. Jason is going to be using pink towels :D PassatPunk.

Footy
07-25-2001, 01:08 AM
Be aware that some of those serging machines come "pre-lubed for life" with oils containing raw silicones. There`s a guy called Igor on the Yugo forum that buys the machines in bulk, dismantles them, steam cleans and reassembles using only detailing-friendly lubricants, as a special service to fellow detailers who may be buying serging machines to stitch the edges of bath towels they might have bought and chopped up for use in drying their cars. Igor only sells to Yugo owners though :D

ru1thirst
07-25-2001, 01:57 AM
I ordered from Kevin and they should be shipped today. I`ll probably be able to give them a wirl real soon so I`ll let ya know how they work and feel. I`m using the MT right now but you can never have too many nice towels. I ordered the Charisma set by the way and Kevin is cutting them into 4 towels for me. Just over $20 delivered. Not bad. I copied this idea from HenryK by the way so if they work out great....Major props out to ya HenryK! And if they don`t work out, np. More towels to AIO my wheels.

JasonC8301
07-25-2001, 08:20 AM
Don`t be knocking the pink towels. If you see all the hand and beauty lotions after I use certain products (Ef Hi-intesnity) Currently using my new bottle of Caress! Gotta love the silky smooth hands, poke fun at that, not the PINK CHARISMA`s!

LOL, good one PassatPunk, really good to hear a joke early in the morning.

tonysandiego
07-25-2001, 03:23 PM
I think I might try a Charisma pack! If nothing more, I like the name Charisma.:)