PDA

View Full Version : How do I polish this trim??

Pages : [1] 2

PassatPunk
07-23-2001, 10:23 PM
Was thinking about this today as I was washing down the Cabriolet. Could Dawn be of any danger to the trim? What about the convertible top (vinyl)?

I know it is meant to be kept on the paint, cause thats where you want it, as to strip off the wax. But it is impossible to avoid it getting on any trim. Out to finish up AIO`ing - PassatPunk.

07-24-2001, 03:19 AM
If using a cleaning product like All-In-One, I don`t see the benefits of Dawn.

Don2000g
07-24-2001, 03:22 AM
Agreed!

DETAILKING
07-24-2001, 07:33 AM
It is really not as harsh as most people make it out to be.

Greek Guy
07-24-2001, 08:00 AM
I would just wash with a car wash soap then use AIO. If you decide to use Dawn first it will not hurt the trim. AIO will remove old wax.

PassatPunk
07-24-2001, 10:10 AM
I know. I know. I am going to use a paint cleaner so why dawn... I dawn because:

-I got time.. so I dont see any problem with taking additional steps to clean the car. I really doubt it makes the car shine any better, but the idea of cleaner paint just makes me feel better.

-I also like to use the dawn because I like to get down and dirty with it. I see Pinnacle Shampoo to be formulated to be gentle.. too gentle maybe to scrub the wheel wells, and the trim and the bottom of the car.. and to get in all of those places.

To each his own. And dont worry after the dawn I washed down with Pinnacle Bodywork Shampoo.

Just wanted to know if Dawn`ing could be of any danger to trim; even after one use. But now all the trim is clean, clean and protected with Vinyex.

Thanks guys.PassatPunk.

ISLANDSBEST
07-25-2001, 04:39 AM
Dawn was formulated as a dish washing detergent. As such, the manufacturors knew that it would be used for washing all manner of plastic items. Think about all the materials that are used in kitchen ware. I am certain that it has been tested on a wide variety of materials, because the maker would not want damage complaints.

The only caution, as you already know, is that Dawn can leave a detergent film, so you always have to use some sort of other cleaning product after it, that was designed for cars (like a car shampoo, paint cleaner, etc.), before applying a sealant.

PassatPunk
07-25-2001, 09:01 AM
Figured Dawn in some way would be safe for houseware vinyl/plastic products but when you step outside and begin using vinyl/plastic for automotive applications, I was worried the formula might change and with that, the dawn actually be a potential harm.

PassatPunk.

ISLANDSBEST
07-26-2001, 02:53 AM
Hi. I think that our collective experience has shown that Dawn does not harm the trim, at least not in limited use. And, I think the consensus is that Dawn is for limited use.

It is usually used to strip a car down and remove wax, prepatory to applying a sealant system. After you have your sealant on the car, whether topped with a wax or not, you would use a good car shampoo, not Dawn, unless you wanted to strip off a wax topper.

PassatPunk
07-26-2001, 10:25 AM
Ok so then Dawn isnt a contributor to any type of trim decay/deterioration that could be compared to say, excessive use of Armol-All. Just a concern/crazy idea to post that popped up as I was detailing last time. 10-4.

Understand it strips wax, understand it is an unecessary step, understand it shouldnt be used on any type of regular basis but did <strong class=`bbc`>not[/b] understand if dawn would be a harm to trim.

Thanks again. PassatPunk.

ISLANDSBEST
07-27-2001, 03:47 AM
Better to ask, if there is any doubt, rather than to cause damage and be sorry. As they told us in school, there are no stupid questions!

MB Fan
10-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Hey guys, I need some advice. My 1990 MB 560 SEL has a lot of polished aluminum trim around the front and rear windows and door frames that has a cloudy appearance. The shop says remove and replace but I really would like to restore these pieces if possible.

Here`s a picture of the trim around the door frame as an example. Any suggestions on how I should proceed??

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab262/kelleher_rr/IMG_0226.jpg

Many thanks!

imported_Flash Gordon
10-25-2009, 07:12 PM
First off let me congradulate you on that fine piece of machinary. In 1990 I had the local M/B dealers account and we did literally hundreds of the 420/560 SEL`s cars, so I know them inside/out.

As for your trim, very common problem on those cars. I would hit it with "Extreme Metal Polish" Lil time and effort and they will look better then new :driving:

MB Fan
10-25-2009, 07:21 PM
As for your trim, very common problem on those cars. I would hit it with "Extreme Metal Polish" Lil time and effort and they will look better then new :driving:

Excellent! Thanks Flash! I`ll give it a try. One more thing...do you do polish these by hand or use a small pad on a machine???

"Pearl" as she is known around the house has 180,000 plus miles and still rides like a dream. After I get my supplies from PAC I plan a full detail and will post some pics.

imported_Flash Gordon
10-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Excellent! Thanks Flash! I`ll give it a try. One more thing...do you do polish these by hand or use a small pad on a machine???

"Pearl" as she is known around the house has 180,000 plus miles and still rides like a dream. After I get my supplies from PAC I plan a full detail and will post some pics.

I would do it by hand.

180,000 is that all...She`s just gettin broke in good

Look forward to the pics

***BEWARE...YOUR HANDS WILL BE BLACK FOR DAYS UNLESS YOU WEAR GLOVES