PDA

View Full Version : Dilutions

NYMATT74
07-23-2001, 10:53 AM
I have tried Klasse AIO followed by 3M Hand Glaze and topped it off with 3M show car Polish and the results are awesome. I also have tried Zaino and found it to work just as well, though 3M does a better job of filling those pesky swirls.

In the long run I do believe that the Klasse system is less work but it doesnt cover the light swirls I have as well as the 3M. Check out the results...i will try to get a better picture next time. Just my opinion.

Matt

http://www.yourgrocer.com/images/promo/ACCRD.jpg

07-23-2001, 11:04 AM
Matt, your procedure sounds rather poor. The 3M Imperial Hand Glaze will be detrimental to your previous layer of Klasse All-In-One, and I`ve never heard of 3M Show Car Polish, but why haven`t you applied any sort of protectant?

So basically you applied a polish/protectant, then a polish that will remove the previously laid protectant, and then another polish?

Why cover swirls when you can remove them? 3M Finesse It II, then All-In-One, then Sealant Glaze.

DETAILKING
07-23-2001, 11:18 AM
You should never ever, put anything on top of zaino, and even KLASSE users who carnuba over it will tell you not to use IHG over KLASSE....

Z5 will fill in minor swirling, if it can`t then they should be removed with Finessit II or Perfect it 3M abrasives. IHG is a temporary fix that offers no durability.

What are you detailing goals? ....and what were you trying to compare in that test?

NYMATT74
07-23-2001, 11:50 AM
Oops..i meant 3M show car wax. I never applied Zaino on top of Klasse or vice versa. When I did use the zaino i used Dawn soap and started from scratch with the zaino system.

07-23-2001, 11:53 AM
3M Imperial Hand Glaze lightly cleans the surface. This ruined your All-In-One.

I`d suggest go back, reapply the All-In-One, then Show Car Wax.

imported_Bunky
10-25-2009, 08:18 AM
There are two ways people interpret the dilution such like 10:1.

In industry, 10:1 means 1 part product diluted to 10 parts solution (water or something add to generate 10x). You usually are interested in the final solution total (selling a quart, etc).

However, you see the term diluted 1:1 which we know means 1 part product and 1 part water. In the industry terminology this is a misnomer since it should be 2:1.

When you see the term 10:1, do you read it as:

A. 1 part product with water added to get 10 (such as 1 oz in 10 oz of final solution so about 9 ounces water)

B. 1 oz product to 10 oz water so final total should be around 11 oz

imported_Flash Gordon
10-25-2009, 08:25 AM
There are two ways people interpret the dilution such like 10:1.

In industry, 10:1 means 1 part product diluted to 10 parts solution (water or something add to generate 10x). You usually are interested in the final solution total (selling a quart, etc).

However, you see the term diluted 1:1 which we know means 1 part product and 1 part water. In the industry terminology this is a misnomer since it should be 2:1.

When you see the term 10:1, do you read it as:

A. 1 part product with water added to get 10 (such as 1 oz in 10 oz of final solution so about 9 ounces water)

B. 1 oz product to 10 oz water so final total should be around 11 oz

I suppose I would choose (A)

However in 29 years I have never actually measured anything relating to Auto Detailing. I merely eyeball it and roll.....

I guess I`m just good :w00t:

Puckman
10-25-2009, 08:54 AM
I always use the lowest number to refer to the product I`m cutting. 1:1 to me means 50% product and 50% water but you`re right in that it should be shown as 2:1.

The only products I cut are APC`s and iso alc and, like Flash, I eyeball it. My interpretation is like your answer A.).

imported_User Name
10-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Well... never thought about this (until now) and I think of it as Part B.

To use a simple analogy, I envision 1oz shot glasses. I would put in 1 "shot" of product, followed by 10 shots of water or whatever you are mixing.

imported_glfahlc
10-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Well... never thought about this (until now) and I think of it as Part B.

To use a simple analogy, I envision 1oz shot glasses. I would put in 1 "shot" of product, followed by 10 shots of water or whatever you are mixing.

this is the way i would interpret it.... to me A would be actualy 9:1 to get the total of 10:1 where as 10 to 1 is just that....ten parts filler to 1 part product, thereby totaling 11 parts.....

imported_akimel
10-25-2009, 03:38 PM
I think the answer is "B." At least that is how it seems to get explained over at the Megs` site.

But I use Megs` spray bottles, which have the dilution ratios already marked off, so I`ve never had to worry about it.

imported_doctordon
10-25-2009, 03:39 PM
According to Wikipedia the correct answer is "A". Here`s a copy and paste from their site:

Ratios are often used for simple dilutions applied in biology. A simple dilution is one in which a unit volume of a liquid material of interest is combined with an appropriate volume of a solvent liquid to achieve the desired concentration. The dilution factor is the total number of unit volumes in which your material will be dissolved. The diluted material must then be thoroughly mixed to achieve the true dilution. For example, a 1:5 dilution (verbalize as "1 to 5" dilution) entails combining 1 unit volume of diluent (the material to be diluted) + 4 unit volumes of the solvent medium (hence, 1 + 4 = 5 = dilution factor). The dilution factor is frequently expressed using exponents: 1:5 would be 5e-1; 1:100 would be 10e-2, and so on.

Special notice should be made to ratios (usually) comparing one item to another item, as opposed to the whole. If there are 2 oranges and 3 apples, the ratio of oranges to apples is shown as 2:3 or 2/3, however the fraction of oranges to total fruit is 2/5.

Doc

imported_Bunky
10-25-2009, 04:57 PM
According to Wikipedia the correct answer is "A".

This is what I stumbled across. A chemist or biologist would say A.

I know that most people think B is the right answer and this is how it is practiced. For example, all my sprayers have a 1:1 mark so this means they use the B method.

imported_Luster
10-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Common sense tells me that 10 (parts) + 1 (part) = 11 (parts).

I guess common sense is wrong!:tongue:

imported_glfahlc
10-25-2009, 07:07 PM
so if the answer is A then 10:1 is actually 9:1.....:huh: