PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday jrt81

Pages : [1] 2

ISLANDSBEST
07-22-2001, 10:32 PM
The unanimous opinion in the archived thread on the duster is that it is safe (in terms of harming the paint surface) if used properly.

The literature with the California Duster says that it is impregnated with wax, to help pick up dust, I believe.

Sal Zaino stresses that paint must be wax-free prior to Zaino applications. Does anyone know if using a duster deposites a wax film or if using a duster causes any problems with Zainoing? I don`t want to have to Dawn before each Zaino coat because I started using a duster.

scottybob1
07-22-2001, 10:40 PM
I think the wax in the C.D. is to increase its static properties. I have a Zaino`ed truck and Honda and have not experienced any problems. When using the C.D., just lightly pass it over the vehicle, lightly touching the paint with the ends of the duster.

Bob Post
07-23-2001, 02:25 AM
you seem to think the general consensus supports some notion that it is "non-scratch". Take my word for it, it will and can scratch your paint. Your dragging something across the surface of your paint that is dirty and has

dirt in it (dirt has abrasive sandy particles in it) so you mean to tell me it won`t scratch? It most definetely will. You won`t notice most scratches right away on good paint, but awhile down the road is when it will come to light. Some of my old bad habits when detailing my car are just now

coming to light, MONTHS later these scratches are very visible. Don`t take a chance.

DETAILKING
07-23-2001, 08:00 AM
I know guys with MINT black cars that dust the car every day and then spray detail, and don`t wash the car till it gets driven in the rain. if the car is really dirty or dusty, I wouldn`t use the duster though....

As for your question, the duster has parrifin wax on it that aids in the dust catching properties. Place your new duster on some newspapers to break it in for a few days before using. The first few times you use it, it might leave streaks on your car, but the more you use it, the better it works.

Even if you get some parrifin wax residue on the paint, it won`t hinder zaino bonding, for it will be gone after the first wash..........goodluck.

tonysandiego
07-23-2001, 11:59 AM
I use a CA Duster almost every day on my black car and can vouce that over time you may notice some <strong class=`bbc`>VERY MINOR[/b] lines left from use. The big thing to watch for is if you have left your duster in the trunk of your car on a hot day or even in a real hot garage, the parifin gets soft and can leave streaks. They will come off easily with a CD like Clear Pearl though. For me, using a CA duster makes a lot of sense as I put 50-100 miles on the car a day and washing every day is just not possible. If I kept the car in a garage under a cover all the time, I would`nt dare use a duster.

TiCoup
07-23-2001, 01:08 PM
I`ve used the Dusters for years on every vehicle I`ve owned. My T-Bird is a garage-baby and also sits in storage during the winter and it gets dusted all the time with no ill effects. My black Explorer gets dusted almost daily and I`ve also never noticed any scratching on it either.

Follow the advice of DK and let the Duster sit on a newspaper for a few days. Plus never use it on a hot vehicle, it will streak. If you get any streaking a QD like Final Inspection will remove them and FI does not contain any wax or silicones.

CJ from Granite Bay, CA
07-23-2001, 05:11 PM
I have been using the California Duster for many years and haven`t had any problems whatsoever. Naturally, if the car needs a washing then wash it, don`t dust it. Also as a side note, the small dash duster works great for around the house dusting furniture. If anyone needs further information and has a need to contact the manufacturer, here is the web site for the California Duster people, http://www.calcarduster.com (`http://www.calcarduster.com`)

Glozz
07-23-2001, 09:11 PM
I have zero issues with this tool. I also placed mine on a sheet of newspaper for three days before first using it. I have seen no streaks at all.

ISLANDSBEST
07-23-2001, 10:39 PM
Thanks, all. I appreciate your experiences and help (thanks for the newspaper tip).

Any other opinions? Any other opinions about the duster`s wax impregnated fibers interfering with later applications of Zaino?

[Edited by darbh on 07-23-2001 at 11:08 PM]

Glozz
07-23-2001, 11:05 PM
These dusters are very cheap compaired to wax and polish that we all use. Perhaps you could replace it each spring after a year of use. I`ve had mine for three years and it looks and smells like new.

imported_Flash Gordon
10-25-2009, 07:24 AM
Hope you are having a great day and many more :driving:

jrt81
10-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks!!

Hope to get a chance to try out the Makita today. :wink:

supercharged
10-25-2009, 09:18 PM
happy birthday!!!

Old Pirate
10-26-2009, 06:24 AM