PDA

View Full Version : Advice on cleaning rims

Pages : [1] 2

DETAILKING
07-22-2001, 07:11 PM
http://properautocare.com/pinpol.html (`http://properautocare.com/pinpol.html`)

It is expensive, but it states that one (2) ounce piece will do "5" cars. That means the whole kit can do up to 15 cars with the 3 pieces it includes. That might be worth a look!
I have been using clay magic and mothers and can`t get more than 2-4 cars MAX out of 8 ounces. I am looking for some user opinions on how long the clay lasts compared to other brands. Is it some kind of new material?

DaGonz
07-22-2001, 08:33 PM
I haven`t tried Pinnacle clay..as a matter of fact I just found out about it here! I have used the Mother`s and the clay magic paint cleaning clays, and I find that the number of cars you can do with it averages 4 to 5, depending on the condition of the paint.

JasonC8301
07-22-2001, 08:35 PM
The Pinnacle polyclay is supposed to be man made. a synthetic compared to clay magic or mothers, in which I am taking a guess at.

Ron Ketcham
07-22-2001, 08:39 PM
Clays are actually pretty simple to make once one has an understanding of what the materials and percentages are.

Some do use or add different components than others, the main thing is to obtain the "grabbing" effect without excessive marring. Polys of one sort or another are a basic ingredient in any quality clay as that is one component that provides a "lubricating or slick" ability for the product.

Footy
07-22-2001, 09:27 PM
I have used the Pinnacle Poly clay, and found it excellent, though I really have no basis for comparison as it is the only clay I have used. I cut one piece into four, and have done my car twice using two of these pieces, which still have some use left in them. This translates to at least 12 to 15 cars in total. I use car wash soap as the lube and find the clay leaves practically no residue.

BTW, I usually remove tar with a dedicated tar remover before claying, which probably exetends the life of the clay. I find that the clay tends to "smooth out" the tar so I can no longer feel it on the surface, but can see it if I look closely.

imported_ewiesner
07-22-2001, 11:09 PM
I tried it and I loved it! Doesn`t stick to your hands like other clay, but you can drop it easier... I`m not sure if it has the pulling power of other clays like 3M, but it glides very easily and doesn`t leave much residue. Plus the yellow color allows you to see how dirty the clay really is.

PassatPunk
07-22-2001, 11:12 PM
Footy, you said you use just soap as a lube? Did you get the Pinnacle Poly Clay Kit? Why didnt you use the lube it came with? What did you do with it!?

DETAILKING, how long it lasts? I dont know. As always matters on the situation. I could clay all year with the newer paint on the Passat. But yadda yadda, you know that.

In general, the PolyClay is amazing. The kit which includes the Pinnacle Clay Lube (specially designed for claying, it is not a QD) and the Koala towel rules. It made my claying experience an ejoyable breeze.

One problem, I think I used too much lube (it smells so great I couldnt help but squirt squirt squirt!), which transformed the clay into a play-doh consistency. I am sure with your experiental background in claying, you could avoid this.

PassatPunk.

Footy
07-23-2001, 01:30 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by PassatPunk [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>Footy, you said you use just soap as a lube? Did you get the Pinnacle Poly Clay Kit? Why didnt you use the lube it came with? What did you do with it!?[/b]</blockquote>I only got the clay (3 bars in the plastic jar, no lube). I used the carwash soap based on the instructions on the CMA website:

http://www.properautocare.com/usclaybartor.html (`http://www.properautocare.com/usclaybartor.html`)

I am pretty liberal with the soap. It does not seem to affect the clay at all. Mazman`s right about the color - the amount of crud that shows up on the yellow clay from a supposedly clean car is unbelievable !!

I`ve managed to avoid dropping the clay so fa...ooops! there it goes :D

DETAILKING
07-23-2001, 08:08 AM
nt

scottw2
10-25-2009, 12:20 AM
I have a set of very nice Work wheels that have a chrome lip, spokes & black trim. The installer lectured me on using only soap & water to protect the chrome. Well, after 6 months, they are looking a little dull. Can anyone suggest a product to use on the chrome that will bring back the mirror reflective look without damaging the coating?
This may be a simple question but I paid a lot for these & don`t want to permanently damage the surface coating.
Thanks for any help.
(Hope the attached pic is visible)

imported_Luster
10-25-2009, 08:14 AM
Hey Scott....Welcome to TID!

The picture you posted is pretty small so I can`t really see what the wheel looks like. Are you sure the shiney surfaces are chrome? Because chrome usually doesn`t get dull.

I`m guessing that the wheels are black background with a "milled" and polished face, and polished lip. Then most likely clear-coated.

If you can supply a larger picture we could narrow down the material.

If you have a clearcoated wheel, you can polish with any good car polish by hand, then seal with a high quality sealant or Wheel Wax and it will last a few months.

If they are, in fact, chrome, use Mother`s Chrome Polish and follow with sealant or Wheel Wax.

imported_Flash Gordon
10-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Nailed It ^^^^^

Welcome to TID, Hope to see you around

bmw5541
10-25-2009, 08:28 AM
You can also use a wheel cleaner like P12S. The P21S is a ph neutral cleaner, so it will not harm the wheel.

imported_Flash Gordon
10-25-2009, 08:36 AM
You can also use a wheel cleaner like P12S. The P21S is a ph neutral cleaner, so it will not harm the wheel.

This will get it clean ^^^ But won`t add to the "LUSTER"....That will require some type of polishing

bmw5541
10-25-2009, 08:53 AM
This will get it clean ^^^ But won`t add to the "LUSTER"....That will require some type of polishing

Flash,

I realize that. I was just commenting on the statement by the OP that his wheels should only be cleaned with soap and water.