PDA

View Full Version : How to Use ONR....

Pages : [1] 2 3

PassatPunk
07-22-2001, 06:05 PM
To do the job it helps to have the right tools. The pad kit CMA sells, seems rather compltete; all the bases are covered. Anyother pad kits for the Porter Cable from other retailers? The kit seems somewhat pricey, some 60 dollars after shipping? (meaning more than 170USD total investment w/ the PC 7242)

Are than any other alternatives to this kit by CMA?

Thanks folks. PassatPunk.

rmccall6
07-22-2001, 06:28 PM
It is the best most complete pad set i`ve seen for the PC. What i did though, since i didnt need the bonnets, i just bought the foam pads (1 yellow, 2 white, 1 grey) and the backing plate.

Nutdotnet
07-22-2001, 07:00 PM
The CMA kit is the best I found when I recently bought mine and I searched EVERYWHERE!!! I too didn`t need the terry bonnets, but a little nice talking and CMA substituted the MF bonnets instead!

Firescooby
07-22-2001, 07:54 PM
Had two MF bonnets subbed for the terry bonnets.

tom p.
07-22-2001, 08:02 PM
great pads for the PC. They tend to be more aggressive.

I really like the very soft grey foam pad I got from CMA. It think that`s a useful pad for finishing work.

JasonC8301
07-22-2001, 08:03 PM
That did not sub the MF bonnets for the terry ones. I don`t even use them. I was about to buy the MF ones, but that would jump the bill up to around $80-85. I bought one extra grey pad for the piano (apply paste wax). Owell, the terry ones may have a use..now I just gotta find a reason to use them.

Firescooby
07-22-2001, 09:26 PM
was all it cost me for the kit from CMA with the MF bonnets subbed.

Footy
07-22-2001, 09:39 PM
I just received my PC from Coastal Tool, and ordered the backing plate and pads from Tim/TACS.

My question is, is it OK for me to start immediately on the car, or do I have to follow the Autopia tradition of doing the shower stall first??

(who am I kidding? I already followed the tradition and AIO`d the shower...)

PassatPunk
07-22-2001, 11:14 PM
This backing plate, velcro one I assume? Is it necessary for using the pads from CMA? Does the pad kit from CMA require anything extra other than the PC itself?

Geeeessh, 110 for the PC and 65 for the pads. I need to start charging people!

PassatPunk.

07-22-2001, 11:55 PM
Tim at tacscar.com sells each pad separately, so you don`t order stuff you don`t need (like bonnets, which i`d never use). I ordered a velcro backing plate, and a few pads.

tom p.
07-23-2001, 06:16 AM
the "velcro-backed, soft mounting plates (either 5" or 6") directly from PC, right? They`re approx. $18 each.

PassatPunk
07-23-2001, 08:24 AM
So is the velcro backing plate required for these pads from CMA and Tim @ Tascar.com?

Thanks folks for all your help on this one. PassatPunk.

toolmanduff
07-23-2001, 01:33 PM
Yes, the velcro backing plate is required for the pads from CMA and Tascar.

imported_Luster
10-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Not your big dramatic write-up with lots of pics, but just the basics.

1. Fill 2 buckets with water (warm water in cold weather).

2. Put one ounce of ONR in one of the buckets.

3. Use a large soft microfiber towel, sponge or wash mitt and saturate it in the ONR mix.

4. Without wringing it out start at the top of the car washing one section at a time.

5. Place your MF towel in the clear water bucket.

6. Dry the panel you just washed.

7. Wring out the MF towel on the ground.

8. Repeat the process for all glass and panels on the car working from top to bottom, doing the wheels last.

9. If the weather is pretty cold, you can do the entire car and wipe it dry when complete, instead of doing one panel at a time.

I have really gotten to the point where I like it almost as much as a conventional wash.... why? Time savings!:biggrin: No hose to drag out, no water spots to fight with, no water mess, cold hands!!!:angel::cornut::biggrin:

MORE INFO:

Another great thing about is you can dilute various solutions to also make a Clay Lube and Quick Detailer. I use the clay lube quite often these days since its so easy to make and works quite well. Saves you a few bucks too. I have only used the QD a few times and find it so so. I just keep a bottle w/some micros in the truck for quick cleanings.

Luster, maybe you can add the tid bit about QD and CL to the first post just incase anyone is looking. I can`t remember the exact dilutions but I think its 6 Oz. of ONR to 1 gallon of water for clay lube and 10 Oz (new formula) of ONR to 1 gallon of water. I just buy a gallon jug of distilled water and add the mix then keep it around for whenver a refill is needed in my squirt bottles.

Try using a 10:1 Ratio of Water:ONR for the QD/Clay Lube.

I would like to have others chime in on different methods and techniques!

Old Pirate
10-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks Bill for the write up on ONR............:thumbup: