PDA

View Full Version : Last Cruise Night of the "Season"....

Pages : [1] 2

CJ from Granite Bay, CA
07-19-2001, 07:39 PM
While surfing the web recently, I found a glass cleaner that can be made. You mix 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 bottled water and 1/3 isopropyl rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. This mixture works well, there are no streaks or film on the glass. You could put some blue food coloring in the mix for effect.

07-19-2001, 09:01 PM
I recently mixed equal parts of white vinegar and distilled water to get rid of water spots - RH suggested this - it worked great

bobdec
07-19-2001, 09:06 PM
Reminds me of my grandpa. He said they used to shine the Model T with water and a cup of kerosene. Hmmmmmmmm. Anyone know where I can buy a cup of kerosene?

Actually, I`ve found that a damp micro fiber towel followed be a dry one does the job without the need of any glass cleaners. Seems like all glass cleaners streak unless you polish them out real well so why use them if you don`t need them.

Koyaanisqatsi
07-19-2001, 09:38 PM
Vinegar and water works pretty well with newspaper. Right now I am using denatured alcohol and water. The stuff is cheap. I mix the water and alcohol 4 to 1. It works great on bugs on the windshield. You can get a bottle of denatured alcohol. 16 oz. for under a dollar. I am curious about techniques with Bon Ami. I found the original type and am thinking of trying it. Whats the deal? IT says on the bottle not to us it on windsheilds but I hear BMW recommends it?

DETAILKING
07-19-2001, 09:53 PM
throw out all your glass cleaners...

Wax the windows when you do the car. This is what I do. They come perfect with car wash after every wash, and then I spray detail them when I do the car too. The windows are as slick and reflective as the car........

dunit
07-19-2001, 09:55 PM
ya, that`s probably just what Griot`s Garage glass cleaner is. It smells like rubbing alcohol....

ISLANDSBEST
07-20-2001, 01:46 AM
Detail King:

You actually wax the windows? I tried Z2ing mine, but I don`t think it worked very well. A clean window seemed better. What benefits do you find from wax?

Greek Guy
07-20-2001, 07:48 AM
After I wash the car I use a damp MT. Leaves the windows clean and streak free. In between car washes I use Stoners or Clear Vision. Going to try DK tip and wax the windows.

Don2000g
07-20-2001, 11:33 AM
Waxing your windows is actually not a very new concept. I know of quite a few regulars here who happen to use All In One on the windows. Laters.

DETAILKING
07-20-2001, 12:09 PM
Use a very little......thin layer with no Z1.

They stay slick and clean longer, and also come out streak free after each wash.......What didn`t work out with the Z2 on your windows?

jkochis
07-20-2001, 08:30 PM
I can guarantee that my EF Clear Vision windows are just as reflective as any waxed window. If you clean them well, and keep them clean, they will look awesome.

I dont know what affect the wax would have on the felt and rubber window seals over time either. Something to consider.

JasonC8301
07-20-2001, 08:58 PM
comments on the scenarios and risks of using wax/sealant on windows cause me to just keep the windows clean. No wax, no sealants, just a window cleaner and terry towel (soon to be a MF glass towel).

imported_Adamah
07-20-2001, 09:10 PM
I agree with DK. I too put a coat of Z2 on my glass every time my paint gets a coat. My glass has never been easier to maintain. Just wash, dry, then hit them with Z6 when I`m doing the paint. Also I have to recommend Z12 glass polish. It has gotten rid of every stubborn waterspot on my glass with ease.

rmccall6
07-20-2001, 10:09 PM
yeah i made the solution of filtered water, distiled vinigar and rubbing alchohol and preformed (and looked/smelled exately like griots) I made a mirror spotted and streaky and cleaned a side with griots and a side with my stuff. The new stuff preformed similar to the griots...streaky, but the griots was a tad streakier. So whats the consensus on stoners invisible glass?

dvd
07-21-2001, 08:18 PM
Bon Ami is abrasive. Feldspar is rock. Don`t use it. I got into an extended argument on the net a year or so ago with someone about this and so I contacted Bon Ami. They said DON`T USE IT on your windshield. Still, lots of people recommend it. So now it appears that they are printing on the label: DON`T USE IT. Still, that isn`t enough for some people.

As to cleaning the "won`t come off at all scum" from your windshield, try pure ammonia. Wear gloves, don`t get it on anything but the windshield. Apply to a rag liberally then clean the windshield. Keep water handy to flush in case you get it on anything else. When you`ve wiped the windshield several times over, wash it all off with lots and lots of water. When you get it right, the water will sheet off instead of bead.

Don`t wax your windshield. It causes haze/streaking when you use your wipers.