PDA

View Full Version : Super Dooper UBER SICK BMW M3 Video!

Pages : [1] 2

Hilorains
07-18-2001, 09:22 PM
I have not tried clay as I originally understood it was designed to remove paint overspray. Now I see everyone here using it. I always clean my paint with 3M Finesse It II then Klasse AIO followed by SG.

My question is will my car look better if I clay first? How much better? And finally, how long does it take to clay a large car?

07-18-2001, 09:47 PM
When you`ve freshly washed and dried your car, and run your palm lightly over the hood, do you feel a buncha bumps?

If so, clay might be an option. If not, forget it.

hook
07-18-2001, 10:05 PM
When I used my bare fingers, I didn`t think I needed to clean with clay. Then I tried the "baggie test" (taken from a tip in an article here, http://www.autopia-carcare.com/cleanwitclay.html. (`http://www.autopia-carcare.com/cleanwitclay.html.`)

Put your hand in a sandwich baggie, or put a piece of plastic wrap around your fingers. Then run your fingers lightly over your clean, dry paint. If you feel bumps - to me it felt like grains of sand - clay will help.

I just finished my first attempt at claying (hood & roof). It was easy, and, actually, kinda fun. The paint on the areas I`ve finished is *way* smoother, and even using a plastic baggie I don`t feel bumps anymore.

I`m working my way over the Lexus in stages - hood has been clayed and has AIO (2 coats), roof has been clayed and has AIO (1 coat). Tomorrow I`ll clay the trunk, rear end and do another coat of AIO for the roof....and so on, until I`ve gone all the way `round. That way, my freshly clayed surfaces get a fresh coat of AIO to protect, since I don`t have time right now to clay/AIO the whole car at once.

And then comes the SG. MUHAHAhaahahahahahah....sorry, got carried away.

bottom line:
- will it look better? Yes, if you feel the bumps as described above.

- How much better? depends. Mine looks a ton better, IMHO. bnut I`ve not tried the AIO without the clay treatment.

- How long does it take to clay a large car? I did the hood of the LS 400 in about 20 minutes. Remember, I`d never done it before. I`m also using a QD as lubricant, not doing it with the wash as some here advocate. Reason is I`m doing it in the evening in the garage, and using a QD means I don`t need water - spray, clay, wipe. The roof/A & C pillars took me about the same amount of time.

regards,
Andy

[Edited by hook on 07-18-2001 at 08:16 PM]

07-18-2001, 11:33 PM
Hey Andy, don`t worry, I use QS to clay as well.

PassatPunk
07-19-2001, 10:23 AM
If it would be one of the cars listed in your sig. I would say a clay would definitely do you well.

I noticed a drastic difference in the paint`s feel ater I calyed and the car was only 7 months old or so.

If you have the time and the produt I would say go for it and you will not be dissapointed at all!

BTW, I used the Pinnacle Clay Kit here from CMA. 40 bucks and the kit is well worth it.

PassatPunk.

moha
07-19-2001, 10:57 AM
Some (me included) clay the car using car wash soap (after washing the car first) as the lubricant rather than QD`s. The process seems a little faster.

Bob

PassatPunk
07-19-2001, 01:48 PM
I couldnt imagine water/soap being faster than a QD or a specially formulated clay spray.

You can do it whichever way you like, QD, CS, H20/Soap... I think you would just want to be careful with your QD selection as you wouldnt want it to contain a carnuba or a QD that lays down anything like this. Right?

PassatPunk.

jkochis
07-19-2001, 03:30 PM
Some users have reported the clay falling apart or leaving streaks when using car wash as a lube. I dont remember which clay or wash they were using unfortunately.

moha
07-19-2001, 03:37 PM
I recently used this car wash soap/clay technique with Griots clay and Meguiars Gold Glass car wash on two different cars. Clay was fine, no streaks.

Bob

rmccall6
07-19-2001, 04:19 PM
Dont use the clay with a dawn wash...it breaks down the clay. -Brad H

CJ from Granite Bay, CA
07-19-2001, 07:55 PM
I recently took delivery this past May, on a 2001 Chev. Suburban, black in color. Parked under a tree and got a misting of sap on the windows and body. After reading about claying ones car I went out and bought Mothers clay. This stuff works great! It removed the sap and other junk that was attached to the finish. Put some Eagle One Wet Look on afterwards and it now has that "show finish". About the glass, I used 0000 steel wool on the glass and it removed the tree sap.

dvd
07-21-2001, 08:39 PM
A little rubbing alcohol will remove sap from glass easily. Lots of alcohol, lots of rags to avoid streaking. On paint, use a paint oriented product as outlined here many a time.

Bob

Deep Gloss
10-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Hope you enjoy.. I KNOW I DID!!

http://www.banditobrothers.com/bmw%2Dm3%2Dgarage/

thecarter13
10-24-2009, 12:07 AM
+1 I Did :D

Puckman
10-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Awesome vid with incredible production expertise. BUT, get your hand off the glass B***H!