PDA

View Full Version : Collinite 845

Pages : [1] 2

t platz
07-18-2001, 12:32 PM
Heya guys...

I`m getting ready for a pretty serious detail soon (switching to Klasse), and I`d like to get my paint in the best possible condition possible beforehand. I`m also trying to get first hand experience with a lot of these items before getting rid of my car and starting all over again on a new one...

I plan on washing with Dawn, using Mother`s Clay, some sort of swirl mark remover, and then the Klasse twins (thanks to Tim at Tacscar for the samples!!!).

Anyway, the car is only a year old and the paint is in very good shape. The finish has been babied most of the time, but I have rock chips, some swirls, and acid rain marks (I live near an airport in a heavily polluted city, not much I can do). Paint is indigo blue, by the way.

I`ve already got some 3M Swirl Mark Remover, but after hearing that it`s kinda useless and that Finesse It II isn`t all that abrasive, I`m thinking about stepping up.

I`ll be applying by hand. If I use Finesse It II, I`m assuming it will be more effective on the swirls than 3M SMR, but will it be able to do anything about the water marks? I doubt it will completely remove them, but every little bit helps.

Those acid rain marks are the single most annoying thing about my paint, and I`m going to do everything I can to avoid it on my new car (i.e. 2 coats of AIO the day I buy it, and anything else you guys recommend!).

Insight and tips are appreciated!

Thanks,

Gary

hook
07-18-2001, 02:00 PM
I had okay success using the SMR (39009) to get the swirl marks out of both my cars. Trick was to not let the stuff dry completely. I think Finesse-It is more aggressive (anyone?) and I believe in moving from least to more aggressive until you get what you`re after (or, like me, chicken out).

That`s on the swirl marks. It wasn`t able to get out the acid rain etching on the Maxima. Neither was Scratch-X (but it did make the paint color deeper). They`re only noticible at *just* the right angle, and look like water spots until you look at them closely. I`m not sure I`ll be able to get them out at all.

I`m really interested if you have any luck, and any suggestions anyone has. Maybe Finesse-It with a PC?

re,

Andy

JasonC8301
07-18-2001, 03:17 PM
I have used Finesse It II with the PC and a yellow cutting pad. It worked well, but I had to make at least 3 applications to get most, 90% or so of the swirls out of the 99 corolla. The swirls were light to moderate, now the swirls left can only be seen in direct sunlight at certain angles. I followed up with Klasse AIO. I did not notice a haze or micro marring from the light abrasives in the product. It may differ from car to car, but a finer polish 3M SMR, or Pinnalce PCL will clean that up.

For water marks the Finesse It II will remove or improve the appearance of them.

tonysandiego
07-18-2001, 04:15 PM
I have a few on the roof and trunk lid on my black 528 and have tried everything including 2000 grit sandpaper!!! They are still there but not as noticeable. FI-II will probably not get rid of the spots by itself. Be VARY CAREFULL not to go through the clear coat:eek: Best bet is to try to hide them with a glaze like Zaino Z5 or Imperial Hand Glaze. Both are temporary solutions though.

If someone out there has a solution, I would love to hear it.

DaGonz
07-18-2001, 04:35 PM
Meguiar`s had a product called "Acid Rain Correction Cream" in their professional line. It was reddish pink in color and smelled like cinnamon. It did have more abrasive in it that the #2 fine cut cleaner, but it would do the job of reducing the etching from acid rain. The only drawback is that it could not be purchased in the 16 or 32 ounce size. It was sold by the gallon only. I don`t know if they still make it or if it is available in smaller sizes.

Andre'
07-19-2001, 01:45 AM
You`r not going to remove one acid rain pit by hand. the only way is with a rotary buffer and a good compound or 1500 grit sandpaper , it all depends on how deep thay are. Next time you detail your car use some baking soda in your wash bucket , it will help nutrlize the acid in your cars paint.

soonchawal
07-19-2001, 09:00 AM
Baking soda in the car wash??? This one is hard for me to swallow. The reason I say that is that most car wash shampoos or detergents are not pH neutral. The majority that I have encountered have a pH of at least 9 and some are even higher. This alone would be enough to neutralize any acid that might be on your paint. Additionally, baking soda has an abrasive quality to it. If you put it in your car wash, you are simply adding grit to your soap. It will not fully dissolve. In fact Baking soda is used as a substitute medium for sand blasting. Granted it is not the same stuff as in your kitchen, the chunks are a little larger, but it is still a milder form of sand blasting.

IN MY OPINION, I would not think it advisable to put baking soda in your soap. I thinkthat it will end up damaging your paint, or at least assure that there are more swirl marks to remove.

Andre'
07-19-2001, 11:47 PM
Yes baking soda has abrasives in it so does Finesse it and 1500 grit sand paper. No! a car wash will not neutralize acid that is in you`r paint. i have used this method for years. It is used befor a full detail to cars that have acid rain danage , they will be compounded or sanded after using the baking soda. I have done this for years sorry but your opinion is incorrect. ;)

bmw5541
10-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Okay, I am a little confused about Collinite 845IW. I have seen it listed as a wax, and I have seen it listed as a sealant. Does anybody know what catagory this product falls under?:confused:

Old Pirate
10-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Collinite Liquid Insulator Wax #845 was developed for the electrical power companies to protect their high voltage lines from power failure, electrical fires, explosions and the weather. It also has no cleaning properties and for the best results use Collinite PreWax Cleaner before applying number845. Use their sapphire prewax cleaner for only single stage,enamel, lacquer paints. On clear coat paint one can use Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish. Hope this helps you out.

Old Pirate
10-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Your answer is it`s a wax.

Cleaning Fool
10-23-2009, 08:43 PM
The bottle says its a wax, but it has many polymers and synthetics added to it to give it durability. The general public has no clue what a "sealant" is so they use "wax" because people can relate to it. I look at it like its a sealant. You can get it on Ebay for $14 and FREE shipping. Nice deal.

Mike Murphy
10-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks ZoomZoom! I`ve never heard that before. Something to think about!

bmw5541
10-24-2009, 11:03 AM
There just seems to be so much confusion as to weather it is a wax or sealant.:confused:

imported_BretFraz
10-24-2009, 01:04 PM
The bottle says its a wax, but it has many polymers and synthetics added to it to give it durability. The general public has no clue what a "sealant" is so they use "wax" because people can relate to it. I look at it like its a sealant. You can get it on Ebay for $14 and FREE shipping. Nice deal.

Exactly what is the composition of the polymers and synthetics? I understand Collinite states 845 has a "synthetic wax" component, but that could be anything, like polyethylene wax. That doesn`t mean 845 is a cross-linking sealant like Zaino or Blackfire.