PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Mustang GT Black

Pages : [1] 2

dvd
07-16-2001, 02:08 PM
A while ago I ran across a Nissan Service Bulletin that cautioned against using alcohol on light lenses. I thought it was interesting that they`d bother to issue a TSB on such a subject.

Well, last weekend I had to replace a cracked lens on my Nissan. So, I decided to experiment on the old one. I wiped it with alcohol on a rag and it looked fine. Then I noiticed that the crack that was in it was getting longer as I watched. Hard to believe, but the crack continued to get longer (1 inch) until I washed it with water. Then it stopped. I tried again later with wood alcohol, same results. I didn`t try using a water alcohol mix, but I might test that soon.

Not sure if it`s a specific Nissan type plastic, but I suspect not. So, keep the alcohol away from the plastic !

FYI,

Bob

hook
07-16-2001, 02:36 PM
Wow, that`s good to know. I`d hate to ruin a lens just by using the wrong cleaner on it.

Any of the chemistry experts out there have an opinion? perhaps a list of products to *not* use on a Nissan lens, given this info?

re, Andy

crimbeaux
07-16-2001, 02:43 PM
Yeah.. Alcohol and acrylic clear plastic don`t get along very well... I know this from attempts to clean certain cylindrical acrylic objects back in college :)

hook
07-16-2001, 03:17 PM
adept1, did you ever figure anything (besides a coathanger) that would get the gunk out of those acrylic cylindrical objects?

I remember one a roomie had that had a saw handle on it....

re,

Andy

crimbeaux
07-16-2001, 06:23 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by hook [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>adept1, did you ever figure anything (besides a coathanger) that would get the gunk out of those acrylic cylindrical objects?

I remember one a roomie had that had a saw handle on it....

re,
Andy [/b]</blockquote>
We switched to using glass cylinders! And to clean those we used a solution of rubbing alcohol and table salt (which works amazingly well!).

nerdhunters
07-16-2001, 06:56 PM
Isn`t EF Clear Vision mostly or high in alcohol? Anyone had problems with it on acrylic?

imported_nbk13nw
10-22-2009, 12:09 PM
Hi to all, just a note to say I have learned so much in such a little time by reading through the posts and gleaning what knowledge.

I have a 2005 Mustang GT Black and find that the hardness of the paint / clear is somewhat of a mystery to me. Sometimes the slightest pressure with a microfiber towel can cause slight scratching on the surface that is easily buffed out. While others seem to take a lot of speed and pressure and passes only to find that they are still there.

I am using a PC 7336, Kompressor pads (White, Gray/Black and Red), Meguiars 105 and 205 to address the issues.

Here is the issue. A neighbors cats had been having a field day on my car. I have a tent (Man Cave) for the car when it is outside. I found that the cats had been sleeping on top of my car a night. But with it being clean and waxed at all times... the cats would lose footing and seemingly run in place when trying to get to the roof. So I had streaks of claw marks on the front bumper, hood, roof and read panels. The hood was so bad that I actually wet sanded and buffed them out.

Well they moved, the cats and the owners, and now another cat has tried to take up residence when it is outside. But a few pops from a paintball gun and I have yet to see it back in the tent... Anyway, some slight scratching is present now on the hood, roof and rear panels. I tried last night using the white pad and some 105. Spent a lot of time, pressure and speed with several passes on each area and most were corrected but some still persist. I cannot feel them with my fingernail but they do look deep. Not really wanting to sand down all of the panels again, but not sure what else to try. Any clues or help would be appreciated. Also, any of you in the Virginia Hampton Roads area that I could call on if I give up?

Thanks!

tthomp82
10-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Go to Academy and get a high powered pellet gun.
Wait for cat to come back.... and the rest will be history.
I hate cats... we have one that is spraying our front door.
The alternative may be to get a cheap car cover.

imported_RickRack
10-22-2009, 12:37 PM
Do a search for `scat mat`.

imported_nbk13nw
10-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Well, I wanted to be somewhat "cat" friendly hence the paintball gun, but after seeing the "techi-color" butt in the mirror I have not seen it back yet... LOL. I do have a garage, but some days I spend on prjects and move the car into the tent when that happens....

Here is the "Man Cave" as the kids call it. Even running power / lights to the cave so I can work outside when I feel like it.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/nbk13nw/DSC03382.jpg

And some from a recent show...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/nbk13nw/DSC03422.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/nbk13nw/DSC03423.jpg

imported_nbk13nw
10-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Do a search for `scat mat`.

LOL... I thought about some water puddles and a battery charger on trickle.... Same principle...? But in my head I see a scene from "Christmas Vacation" and a burning chair!

tthomp82
10-22-2009, 12:57 PM
to get back to your original question... i wonder if moving it up to an orange or purple pad may get to them... a little more aggressive but still less than a full-on wet sand.

I leave it to the panel to correct me here.

bmw5541
10-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Go to Academy and get a high powered pellet gun.
Wait for cat to come back.... and the rest will be history.
I hate cats... we have one that is spraying our front door.
The alternative may be to get a cheap car cover.

:iagree::iagree: +1 on this one.

imported_nbk13nw
10-22-2009, 02:16 PM
to get back to your original question... i wonder if moving it up to an orange or purple pad may get to them... a little more aggressive but still less than a full-on wet sand.

I leave it to the panel to correct me here.

Wondering if I should go to the regular "Flat" pads for the pad choice? Maybe that would gie me more bite since more of the pad is contacting the surface than with the Kompressor pads....

Old Pirate
10-22-2009, 02:21 PM
nbk13nw, one nice ride there, go with a Lake Country Flat Orange pad with your M105 compound, it should do the job for you. You might have to do more then one pass. Give it a try.