PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my floormats?

Pages : [1] 2 3

YoSteve
07-15-2001, 10:03 PM
According to Ron (from his site):

If you don`t have clearcoated leather use a cleaner with "feeding oils" [such as lexol and the other hide oil feeder stuff]

And if you`re leather is clearcoated [which it probably is] we are to use a waterborne polymer style dressing, let it dry and then buff with a clean towel.

So I`m going to give up using Lexol on my clearcoated leather cause it eats up the clearcoat and i`m supposed to use 303 on my seats alone. That`s a leap of faith but that`s what it says. Are we all going to do this? Who`s in, and what`s the other side of the discussion.

rmccall6
07-15-2001, 10:22 PM
Use a cleaner first. Yes, yes 303 cleans but not for the big stuff. I swiched over from Lexol, i use Griots Garage Iterior cleaner. This stuf is awesome and i know you guys have heard me say this before...and i dont even care for Griots that much. This will clean coated and non-coated leather very well...along with so many other surfaces. Then folow up with 303 (which also works on non-coated leather). Just a little thought. When i used lexol, i didnt like it at first because to make a lather with a terry aplicator you had to use lots of product and it left reidues after rinsing and didn`t clean that well. So after reading that leather is like our skin and should be cared for in a similar maner, i used one of thoose mesh doilies thats in the shower to apply body wash. It was great, used less product, awesome lather and slight abrasiveness cleaned very nicely...i will try it with the Griots. -Brad H

YoSteve
07-15-2001, 10:30 PM
I have black seats and haven`t offically cleaned them yet, how often do you have to clean black leather. I`ve so called conditioned them with lexol (not any more) though.

Thanks for the Griots suggestion. Does it have oil in it? If we`re treating cleacoated leather like skin wouldn`t oil based conditioners be better for dry "skin"? Sorry so confused just want to do the correct thing.

[Edited by YoSteve.Com on 07-15-2001 at 08:40 PM]

rmccall6
07-15-2001, 11:01 PM
No Griots doesnt contain oils in it...it is purly a cleaner. When I said that leather should be treated like skin that refers to non-coated leather. Yeah, check out the Griots interior cleaner, i think you will like it. Also, DavidB, the head honcho of this site sias that the 303 looks much nicer n his black nterior than lexol. I would clean them every month or so with the griots cleaner, and you might want to try using one of thoose mesh thinks, it worked great. -Brad

rmccall6
07-15-2001, 11:04 PM
excuse the awfull late night spelling errors.

07-15-2001, 11:06 PM
To alleviate spelling errors, use the "edit" button below your post.

I`ve used 303 on my gray leather seats; made them very slippery; did not like that.

YoSteve
07-16-2001, 08:30 AM
What about all the veteran lexol users with clearcoated leather that have had no problems for 5+ years?

adjulian
07-16-2001, 09:58 AM
As I am learning a ton about detailing a ton of questions start popping up. This is the first time I have heard of the terms clear coated leather vs non clear coat lthr. Does anyone know what type of leather is generally in BMWs? I have not made my purchases yet for my detailing prods and want to be sure I am getting what I need. Thinking about Pinnalce Lthr Conditioner/Pinnacle Lthr Clnr (303 is also on my list.) Thanks.

TiCoup
07-16-2001, 10:09 AM
Adjulian, test a small, hard to see area of the leather with a strong cleaner on a white rag. If you see the leather color on the rag use a cleaner and conditioner on the leather. If no color on the rag its clearcoated leather and you can use something like 303.

After seeing Ron`s advice on leather I clean my seats (clearcoated) with damp MT`s every few weeks and apply 303 every few months.

rmccall6
07-16-2001, 10:11 AM
BMW is clear coated.

PassatPunk
07-16-2001, 12:02 PM
You think 303 lets off a slippery surface on the grey leather of yours? I thought the others just were convinced of Vinylex doing this. Thanks for your input on that Beau.

I recently used Vinylex on the Passat`s Grey leather. I was satisfied. Not really knocking the socks off of me. I just want a product that will help the leather mature "wisely" I guess. Not looking for a shine or anything such as this. Just somethign to clean the leather (think I will damp MT the seats) then something to restore oils; Vinylex up to the task for this?

Soon, when I get a chance, I will try the Vinylex on the Cabrio`s black leather and see if I notice any differences with the color. Maybe do a side by side with freshly Vinylex`ed black and grey Volkswagen leather.

PassatPunk.

t platz
07-16-2001, 12:07 PM
YoSteve and PassatPunk:

Have you guys been able to verify that the leather in your VWs are clearcoated? The last I had seen on the Vortex, they seemed to think that they weren`t...so I`m confused.

If you guys have done the test and found out for sure, it could save me some time and trouble.

Thanks,

Gary

Lawrence
07-16-2001, 02:45 PM
from what ive seen on vortex, vw`s are not clearcoated.......but im not quite sure i trust them....i put my faith in autopians!

YoSteve
07-16-2001, 05:22 PM
I`m going to try the test for you VW people, lazy arses :D

I hate to marr evern an inconspicuous spot but I will for the sake of others :) I`ll do it later tonight though and post the scanned white towel for everyone to see.

colinc
07-16-2001, 08:06 PM
Anyone know if Jeep clearcoated their leather back in 97? I`ve been using Tanner`s Preserve on mine for years, hope that doesn`t hurt. I found Meguiars #39 vinyl cleaner to work extremely well for removing ground in dirt on light colored leather.

Thanks.