PDA

View Full Version : Products you`ve used for 10 years! (or a long time!)

Pages : [1] 2

mtnc
07-15-2001, 01:11 PM
Black pearl Honda Civic 2000.

Guys advise please.

I’ve read so many times advice being given for Perfect it and Finesse It, And so I decided to use Perfect it by hand.

I’m working on my hood and have removed the swirls from a small area. I have a superb finish other than when the sunlight catches the paintwork at a certain angle of incidence then all I can see is a myriad of parallel fine lines.

How do I now remove them?

Do I have to get a finer polish? – Or am I doing something wrong?

ALM
07-15-2001, 02:27 PM
Paitence is the key!!!!!

I use Perfect-it SMR and it takes me 2+ hours to do the hood of my car! Just take time to polish each section until the swirl marks are gone/deminished, you will probably need to do each area more then once. The Perfect-it should work for your car, you may also want to consider using Klasse SG to fill in the small swirl marks, as black its the most unforgiving color to own, but it also looks the best when detailed properly.

mtnc
07-15-2001, 02:52 PM
Thanx for your prompt reply Steve.

Are you sayling to me that if I persevere that these micro lines that I`ve now put in will eventualy disappear too?

If so, how will that happen?

I`ve currently spent easily in excess of 5 hours on half small sections of my hood.

I`m not sure I`m on the right track.

Could I be applying too much pressure? Does that create this micro marring (if thats what it is).

toolmanduff
07-16-2001, 12:11 PM
If you can afford a PC I would recommend getting one and using it. I use the Perfect-It SMR like Steve. First I tried it by hand and I was not happy with the results at all. Then I got my PC. World of difference. The Perfect-It SMR is very mild. I had to go over the hood twice before I even noticed a difference. Flolow up with som AIO and SG and most of the swirls are gone.

Andre'
07-16-2001, 06:23 PM
You could start with Finesse IT2 to remove the deeper swirls , than use the Perfect Swirl remover for the nicro swirls. Than a coat of Klasse AIO and HGSG.

07-16-2001, 08:02 PM
What is the point spending 2 HOURS using SMR, when 1 pass of Finesse It II or Perfect It Fine Cut Rubbing Compound will do? Just use your brain with the Perfect It FCRC, and the Finesse It II is relatively harmless.

Follow up with Klasse All-In-One; I`ve used Perfect It FCRC followed by Klasse, with brilliant results on a dark blue bimmer, medium blue bimmer and black civic.

DETAILKING
07-16-2001, 08:05 PM
And experienced the same thing you are referring too. I can`t believe it....the swirls are gone, but in certain sunlight there are fine micro lines from the product itself. Did you try washing the car again? I plan to try some zaino Z5, or follow up with a less abrasive product first like pinnacle paint cleanser. Anyone have any ideas? Must be the hondas paint......The same thing happened on my acura, but I never had anything like this happen on any other car when using 39009.

07-16-2001, 08:13 PM
I`ve used Klasse All-In-One to get those finer scratches out with great success.

To = act of going in a direction, ie "going to the store"

Too = also, ie "i`m going to the store, too"

Two = the number 2, ie "Two of us are going to the store"

There = location, ie "i`m going there"

Their = possesion, ie "it`s theirs"

They`re = abbreviation for they are, ie "they`re going there"

Andre'
07-16-2001, 08:20 PM
Try the Z5 it should work. I had the same problem on a black BMW , Klasse took care of the very very fine swirls. I think kwall has more deep swirls than he thinks.

hook
07-17-2001, 10:08 AM
I`ve used the 3M SMR (39009) with some success recently on the Lexus (very dark blue metallic).

It had swirl marks from where the dealer "cleaned it up" for me, not bad, but very noticible in direct sunlight. I washed it, then used the 39009 applied with an orbital buffer & foam pad (cheap buffer, prolly going to get a PC, but that`s another story). The product went on very evenly, and I let it buff (at 3500rpm, only speed the thing will go) until it almost vanished. A recent post had a comment from 3M, they called this letting the product "flash off", I think? Then removed it with a soft cotton bathtowel. Not too bad to get off, but you want to work in small sections. Once the stuff drys it`s almost impossible to remove (I`d go back over with a hand applicator with a small amount of product in those cases). It made the paint noticibly darker, and I`d say about 95% of the swirl marks were gone.

I followed that with another 3M product, not sure if it`s still sold, but I`m sure it has a current version. Mines called 3M Finish Restorer wax. The version I have claims to be for fine & medium scratches & light oxidation. It removed the remaining swirl marks.

Car looks good (at least to my newbie eyes) under direct sun and with a flashlight. Going to put it under some florescents soon, I hope, to really get a good look at it.

regards,

Andy

[Edited by hook on 07-17-2001 at 08:46 AM]

mtnc
07-18-2001, 02:17 PM
Sorry for delay in replying. No, I haven`t solved my problems. I have decided to go with # 39009. However 3m advise me it isn`t available in the UK. So like all my products I get from the States, a colleague will buy it for me in the next 2 weeks and bring it back for me. Hence I will have to wait. (We do not have many products over here at all).

When I have the product and tried it I will report back.The weather is that poor in the UK at the moment - it really isn`t fit to detail.

A work mate has this morning given me a paint restorer called `Bosun` he bought if from a TV shopping channel - has anyone ever heard of it? Any comments?

imported_AndyK
07-18-2001, 02:33 PM
Trust me, I have seen very very few products that were worth their weight in pennies from the television. Usually they have some weird smelling ````, maybe some superfine abrasives, and oil to fill the swirls/scratches in temporarily. And that oil can be the "BAD" silicon unfortunately.

Try it on a small hidden panel if you must, but nowhere else till you have throroughly tested the results (waxed, washed, examined, etc the spot you applied it to)

Mike

imported_Page
07-18-2001, 02:59 PM
Beau,

Are you providing grammar lessons for the board now?

I am shure glad y`re.

HEHE!

SJ

imported_Luster
10-21-2009, 02:44 PM
What are the products that you just keep buying year after year? And for how many years?

I`ve been using Zaino for 10 years... still one of the best product lines around.

If you keep buying them, they must be pretty good!!!:thumbup:

imported_Flash Gordon
10-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Water :biggrin: