PDA

View Full Version : When to switch to a circular

Pages : [1] 2 3

07-15-2001, 02:16 AM
I was hoping y`all could comment on the various sports sedans available. Me Pop is getting a new 740il soon, but I want him to try out some of the other contenders in that price range (Q45, LS430, A8L, S430) as he`s already done the 7 Series Bimmer thing.

If anyone has driven any of the above and could comment, I`d appreciate. He loves driving, and would enjoy a more sportier experience. David? Brad?

rstype
07-15-2001, 12:49 PM
I wouldn`t buy the 740 now, cause the new E65 version is coming out next year. Looks better IMHO, and sounds better too. If he wants it now, I would get the Q45 with sports package or S8.

~BW

07-18-2001, 11:59 AM
Hey BW, much to my surprise I got him to go to a Japanese dealer!

He liked the Q45, especially the 340 horses under the hood. The downside was that it was still softer than his Bimmer. He said you sit IN the Bimmer, but it feels like you sit ON the Q45...

Also checked out the LS430; over 70 grand for the top of the line one. I love Lexus, but the $12,000 extra package for Mark Levinson sound and rear massaging seats is too much. The fully decked out Q is just under 60k.

hook
07-18-2001, 01:29 PM
By the way you`ve described the situation, my opinion is you`ll find the "shoot-off" is between the Q and the BMW. My experience is that the Lexus isn`t the drivers car that the BMW is and the Q is somewhere in between the two. The Lexus is great for eating miles effortlessly, but driven hard it`s not quite fun as the BMW. On the other hand, it`s hard to beat the tomb-like silence of the big Lexus.

I didn`t see you mention Mercedes - what about a big E class or a new S?

re,

Andy

hook
07-18-2001, 01:33 PM
when I read and missed the S430 reference in your post. I`d still say try a big E class just for kicks. I`ve heard a lot of owners griping about the new S class on the Edmunds forum.

Promising to read more thoroughly,

Andy

07-18-2001, 11:37 PM
Yes, I forgot about the E430 Sport; maybe we`ll check that out tomorrow. We`re test driving an A8 tomorrow, but I`ve read mixed reviews on the net.

rstype
07-19-2001, 12:00 AM
FYI, see the new 7-series at http://www.bmw.com/e65/id14/hp_home.jsp (`http://www.bmw.com/e65/id14/hp_home.jsp`)

I drove the Q45 and LS430 recently and I find the both to be too quiet, not providing enough driver feedback. Steering feels too sensitive on both cars, not connected with the road. The Q45 with sports package handles well and needs less steering correction than the LS430, but theres no fun!

I think his best bet is get the 2002 7-series ( http://www.bmw.com/e65/id14/hp_home.jsp (`http://www.bmw.com/e65/id14/hp_home.jsp`) ) or the S8.

PassatPunk
07-19-2001, 10:17 AM
granted it was an older model, but wow, good thing it was parked so I could drool over it without having to crank my neck while I was driving. I would be interested in a review of this car if your Father indeed does drive one. The car had a very beautiful interior. I coulda done without the beige color, but the car caught my eye more than the BMW 7 series I just walked by a few steps ago. (This all happened in a parking lot when I went to a Pittsburgh Pirate game).

I think that the S8 would be a tough competitor for the 7 Series in terms of sporty`ness. I think the S8 would be the definition of Sport/Luxury Sedan.

So no concrete based information to help in a car selection but my idea. Also, if he does indeed test drive an S8, I would like to hear how it went. I couldnt imagine 400HP cranking at the realm.

BTW, what about an Aston Martin or an Alfa. :D

PassatPunk.

hook
07-19-2001, 12:30 PM
a new Jag (S-type).

They look lovely, but never had the opportunity to ride/drive one.

re,

Andy

JasonC8301
07-20-2001, 08:24 AM
what about the MB AMG models? I don`t even have a license yet, but I can honestly say the C43 AMG sport sedan is on my is on my wish list right next to the CLK55 and the Corvette Z06. The acceleration of the C43 is really good for a car of that size. The car has a solid feel to it even when it was airborne. If your in a open road in Cali. and no cops around I am pretty sure you can get up to 140 in the MB, unless it was speed regulated (I looked at the speedometer and it read 110-120 mph).

crimbeaux
07-20-2001, 01:57 PM
What about an M5??? Too much $?

JasonC8301
07-20-2001, 02:56 PM
Forgot about the M5, really nice piece....wonderful..great...expensive car. I think if your old man was looking into these high end cars, I think the M5 could be given a test drive at least.

07-25-2001, 12:17 AM
Hey Jason, don`t get me wrong, I love the C43, but I read a really poor review. For that large of an engine in that small of a car, it`s not nearly as fast as a smaller-engined M3, for example.

JasonC8301
07-25-2001, 08:36 AM
beau...I don`t really have much to base this sports sedan in because the C43 is the only sports sedan I have been in and the only car I ever was in that went faster than 100 mph. I am not that big on sports sedans myself, a coupe or two seater will make me happy. I am definetly not a family man, unless I find the right girl..then an S55 may be an option in the future.

DETAILKING
07-26-2001, 10:34 AM
I always liked that car........