PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a boat or jet ski on a trailor

Pages : [1] 2

atmansingh
07-14-2001, 09:12 PM
Hello, I`m new here.. I have a few questions.

I wash my car every week, and usualy end up waxing it every other week. Is this bad for it?

The only problem I have, is that about 24-36 hours after I wax it, I get this layer of dust. Is there a wax that repels this dust? I`m not driving in a very dusty environment, it`s just from the every day city driving.

thanks,

Alex

Andre'
07-14-2001, 09:37 PM
For a car used every day i would use a paint sealant like Klasse or Zaino. they can last 6 mounths or more. If the wax your using doesn`t have abrasives in it it`s safe to use as much as you like. Nothing can stop dust , but a sealant can halp. I would also start to use a quick detailer , and a Microfiber towel. Together they can be used to remove lite dust. Welcome to the fourm.

[Edited by Andre` on 07-14-2001 at 10:34 PM]

atmansingh
07-14-2001, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the reply,

Do most auto parts stores carry "Klasse" and "Zaino" ? Where is the cheapest place to get it?

Thanks,

Alex

old_gonzo
07-14-2001, 09:45 PM
You will not find Klasse or Zaino "over the counter" so to speak. Klasse can be ordered from several different sites, including the sponsor of the forum, Classic Motoring Accessories. And unless you have a distributor in your area, Zaino is mail order only.

Andre'
07-14-2001, 10:25 PM
I have a good tip for you , read this fourn as much as you can. If you do you will learn much about the products we use and where to buy them.

Don2000g
07-14-2001, 11:03 PM
You can find Klasse at http://www.properautocare.com (`http://www.properautocare.com`) or http://www.tacscar.com. (`http://www.tacscar.com.`) Laters.

07-15-2001, 12:01 PM
aholm, protection doesn`t seem like an issue for you as you don`t seem to have a problem with regular maintanence of your wax.

Every other week for wax might be a bit too much after the 3rd coat or so; if you get bitten by the wax bug and need to wax something, perhaps just a panel a week, so in about 10 weeks the entire car will be waxed, then start the cycle over again.

Klasse and Zaino are great, but with your routine, they aren`t all that necessary.

ALM
07-15-2001, 02:16 PM
Try getting your hands on a California Car duster, its really a great thing to have in your car care collection for use when dealing with dust.

As far as waxing every other week, I dont really think it will hurt your car, but I personally think its a bit overkill. If I were in your shoes I would get your hands on a QD with Carnuaba wax in it such as One Grand Show-off or EF Clear Pearl, they take a alot less time to apply, and it will probabaly be more cost effective for you in the long run (if $$$ is an issue). They will replenish the wax layer and help to preserve the just waxed look and feel.

toolmanduff
07-16-2001, 12:16 PM
I agree with Steve. I use a California duster every night and QD before I cover up my car for the night, no garage :(

I wax about every month and a half to two months. Follow the routine and you don`t even need to wash your car every week, though the wheels need cleaning.

hook
07-17-2001, 01:08 PM
Try the california Duster. I got one, and it makes getting that nasty pollen and dust off quite quick & easy. And you don`t have to see well to do it (I`ve had to do mine in the dark, too).

Tips I`ve garnered from multiple threads here and experience:

1) Make sure it`s a genuine california duster. Meijer`s here carries imitations that look exactly the same. I got mine for $8.99 at Wal-Mart. I`m going to buy another for the other car - one for each trunk.

2) I`d recommend the plastic handled one - not as upscale feeling/looking, but lighter to hold as you go over your car. Plus the one place here that has the wooden handled ones wants $21 for them.

3) As with all products - follow the directions. They tell you to let it air out for 48 hours on a piece of newspaper. I did that and found wax marks on the paper where the excess paraffin had bled off.

4) Don`t press down or scrub with it. It really takes just a light pass to suck up the dust.

5) I`ve refrained from using it if it`s rained on a dusty car. If that happens, I`ve been Quick-Detailing(tm).

(another good article here by David B - see http://www.autopia-carcare.com/quickdetailing.html (`http://www.autopia-carcare.com/quickdetailing.html`) ).

My humble $0.02 worth.

re,
Andy

hook
07-17-2001, 09:48 PM
I`ve never used the small ones designed for the dash, but they look & smell the same. Again, go with the real thing, not the imitation.

My Maxima has a spoiler, and it`s not hard to get the regular one under it - it`s flat, like an old-fashioned dustmop. They do make larger ones for trucks/SUVs that are cylindrical.

As far as glass, I`ve never gone over the windshield/rear glass intentionally, but I do go over the glass moonroof with no ill effects. They say (and I`ve read) that the first couple times you use it, you may get light paraffin streaks, but that they wipe right off. I didn`t have this problem.

re,

Andy

Bob Post
07-17-2001, 09:49 PM
and sometime just let the dust sit on the car, rather than

QD it off. The less you mess with the paint, the better as almost ANYTHING can introduce scratches and such. I have a blk car, and immediately after washing see dust, that`s just

life with a blk car. I`m not big on the Cali duster as I have heard of plenty of guys scratching the heck out of their paint when an errant particle gets in those fibers.

Plus it has wax in it, I would not want to apply anything other than the sealant and Blitz that I already put on. My buddy got hazing using that thing, (product differences)

and I don`t want to chance it. If you have a light colored car, I think it`s better than the show-all-imperfections

blk. I would rather QD, that duster just sucks up dirt and dust, then you use it again on the paint? Uh, not for me but

if it works for you.

hook
07-17-2001, 10:45 PM
I`m using the duster on a car that has wax, not synthetic. It will be interesting to see if I get streaks once I get teh AIO/SG combination applied.

Will watch and post results...

Also, about the trapped dust scratching: that was my initial thought (before I bought one), but I was convinced to try one by seeing them mentioned favorably so much. Mines new, so it wouldn`t be a hazard yet. Anyone used one for a long time??

re,

Andy

imported_mobenzowner
10-21-2009, 01:12 PM
When detailing a boat or a jet ski out of the water, how do you guys clean the area that sits on the trailor skids? If you have a hoist or lift it can be done, but is there any creative way short of a lift? I bought 2 jet ski`s last summer and it irks me to no end to let those areas go.

imported_Flash Gordon
10-21-2009, 01:23 PM
When detailing a boat or a jet ski out of the water, how do you guys clean the area that sits on the trailor skids? If you have a hoist or lift it can be done, but is there any creative way short of a lift? I bought 2 jet ski`s last summer and it irks me to no end to let those areas go.

Its impossible to get in those areas short of having 3-4 guys lift it up for you.

What you will need is an engine hoist