PDA

View Full Version : Most Durable Sealent?

Pages : [1] 2

rmccall6
07-12-2001, 10:49 AM
I know that when you layer a wax you should wait at least 12 hrs. befor applying anoher coat. I recently read something in the Griots Garage catalouge about layering wax. He said to apply a layer. wait for it to dry, then apply another caot ontop of that one and then buff out. What u guys think about this....wouold save time but would the forst coat have time to cure? -Brad H

touhy
07-12-2001, 11:02 AM
There may be some incremental shine from layering but if there are any polishing compounds or solvents in the wax the second coat will disolve the first coat. I do think there is a visible improvement from waxing over a polymer base such as Klasse.

Don2000g
07-12-2001, 11:58 AM
It`s an old Concour`s detailing trick. One Grand has mentioned this before and it does work. Jason and Beau can verify this. Let`s take Blitz for example. You can apply to the entire hood and then remove. You then apply to 1/3 of the hood again and remove immediately. You then apply to 1/2 of that 1/3 you were working with and remove immediately again. And so on..... While it won`t add more protection, it will add some more depth. Laters.

rmccall6
07-12-2001, 03:40 PM
dhouldn`t you wait for the first coat to set and cure?

PassatPunk
07-13-2001, 12:25 AM
but yes.. the concours trick he said after the initial layer.

Right Don? PassatPunk.

07-13-2001, 12:57 AM
One Grand says 5-7 days per coat for PROTECTION. For depth, no waiting time is necessary.

The trick Don outlined is a neat one. I only do my hood and trunk like that, however.

carljr1989
07-13-2001, 01:03 AM
Wait for the wax to cure before you put another coat. Curing time varies depending on the type of wax you are using. It can vary between 30 minutes up to 6+ hours.

07-13-2001, 01:07 AM
Curing time can be up to a week. Please read my post above. You don`t need for it to cure if you`re not looking for protection, but purely shine/depth.

PassatPunk
07-13-2001, 09:13 AM
Would this concours trick still offer any protection? Say you were to skip any initial base coat.. and go right to the tip; would you still be producing some type of protection?

I just see that you are still putting wax on the car.. so it should still bead water and what not. Granted, I am convinced by putting on several layers right after another is much different then putting on one layer a week; but I am just curious as to where does all this wax go then when you do the Concours Tip?

PassatPunk.

Don2000g
07-13-2001, 11:55 AM
Beau is right, as usual. You don`t need to wait 5 or 7 days for this method. If you apply wax to the entire hood and then remove, you will get the benefit and protection from this initial coat. You will. Let it sit for 2 minutes if you like. It`s no different than applying Blitz to a panel and then removing and then moving on to a DIFFERENT PANEL. You`re doing the same thing except your adding two more coats. Think about it! The next two coats is more for show and won`t hurt the initial one at all. Beau, Jason and I have discussed this numerous times and it does work. Trust me. Oh, and like Beau I tend to really only do this on horizontal surfaces. Laters.

DaGonz
07-13-2001, 01:55 PM
I wax a panel or two everytime I wash my vehicles, so in effect I`m layering it on. I do light coats of wax and always go over a panel twice in case I`ve missed anything. Some of the guys I work with kid me about "wearing off the paint" because I wax so often (but I know that they`re jealous of the way my vehicles look!)

JasonC8301
07-13-2001, 09:54 PM
As Don said, I have tried this concours method of Blitz, and it works IMHO. I did it to an entire silver BMW following the Klasse treatment, and it really made the paint deeper and wetter. The Blitz did not seem to bring out the silver before the Klasse, but the Klasse brung out that silver and made it shine. The Blitz enhanced that shine by making it "deep". Only if I can find the pictures.

Lazzman
10-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Looking for opinions on the down right most durable sealent around. Collinite already has a lock on the most durable wax`s.

Looks is not that important, this is for pure protection from harsh winter conditions, road salt, tree sap, bird poop.

I am looking for this product to put on the front bumper and grill of my 07` black Camry. I neglected this the past two seasons and really paid for it when it came time to buff it out. Ruined 2, 4" orange pads it was so filthy.

Have not tried many but some that come to mind are Duragloss and FK1000, though they say that FK1000 is a liquid wax? Perhaps CG Jet Seal but it costs $$$.

Thanks in advance for the help.

FJF
10-20-2009, 11:30 AM
I`d call 1000P a sealant, though, IME it`s not as durable as layered KSG and DG601/105. Two of my cars live outside and I`m always looking for a durable LSP. The two sealants I mentioned are the best I`ve found in that respect. They`ve outlasted everything I`ve tried including the Collinites and JS109 you cited.

Lazzman
10-20-2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the info.

Would you also recommend the Duragloss for wheel protection?

For me it comes down to KAO with Polycharger or DG 601/105. Seems that the DG is the more cost effective one.

Do you really need to use the 601? Read on some other sites that it is not really necessary.