PDA

View Full Version : cleaning Blackfire Wet Diamond pads

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jngrbrdman
07-10-2001, 06:18 PM
I am interested in getting into polymer or teflon sealants. Does anyone know anything about them that would be helpful such as where to buy it and how to apply it? I am mainly looking to use it on my own cars and then once I perfect applying it then I will add it to the services I do for others.

This is a great board, by the way. I am very impressed. :)

DETAILKING
07-10-2001, 08:34 PM
Stay away from teflon....it has no functionality in car waxes or sealants......take a look at this--->

To point to some concrete evidence regarding Teflon. This comes from Professional Carwashing & Detailing magazine,

January, 1989, page 110.

A direct quote:

My conclusion is based on the information I have gathered in the past year from representatives, lab technicians and chemists

from many leading car care product companies, including DuPont, the maker of Teflon. According to G.R. Ansul of DuPont`s

Car Care Products Division, "The addition of a Teflon fluoropolymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax.

We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon fluorpolymer resins is beneficial in car waxes, and we have not seen data

from other people that supports this position."

Ansul also notes that, "Unless Teflon is applied at 700 degrees F (371 degrees C), it is not a viable ingredient, and it is 100

percent useless in protecting the paint`s finish."

rmccall6
07-10-2001, 08:39 PM
Polymer sealants are a substitute for waxing, its a layer of protection that will last longer about 3X longer than a layer of carnauba. Unfortunately, polymers have had some problems, they either had a poor shine or had yellowing affects. They are beter now but still can`t match the depth and "wet" richness that a quality carnauba can provide. There are also Acrylics such as Klasse. They have had the same problems as polymers but Klasse is a great products with a srtrong following on this site...you`ll acheive great results with it. Klasse will provide a shine thats more reflective than a wax, but not quite as deep, so in the constant strive for perfection, many here will put a topping of qood wax on top (you get the best of both worlds, a synthetic`s shine with a wax`s depth and richness) As far as klasse goes, use both the All-In-One and Sealant Glaze, they were meant for each other. If you have any contaminants or bad swirls attack them firs. Then go to AIO. AIO preps and polishes the surface (but aint to good for deep swirls) and lays down a base coat of acrylic. Apply it thin and wipe off imediately. Then the Sealer and Glaze puts down another layer of acrylic for more protection and higher shine. Apply at least 2 coats, 3 is great and more than three is subjective in terms of shine. Apply a VERY THIN coat and allow to dry about 20 min then buff with a terry or micro-fiber and some wax/silicon free quick detailer (such as Meguiars Final Inspection). Then if you want, top with a good wax. Hope this helps -Brad H

ALM
07-10-2001, 08:42 PM
The top two Polymer Sealants, IMHO, are Klasse All-in-one and Zaino. Klasse can be purchased from CMA and other companies on the net. Zaino is also available off of the internet, see Detaiking for the exact address.

Also, Detailking is right (as usual) about the Teflon, it does nothing for your car, leave it for your pots and pans.

tom p.
07-11-2001, 10:30 AM
http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/product_m20.gif

<strong class=`bbc`>Meguiar`s #20![/b]

Don2000g
07-11-2001, 10:39 AM
I have a new bottle of Meguiar`s #20 sealant. Never been used. Be willing to trade it for something even half its value. Hell, even a bottle of P21s shampoo ($8.00) would be ok with me. Laters.

TiCoup
07-11-2001, 12:49 PM
Don, try using the Meguiar`s #20 on your rims or glass. I use it on both and get great results. Or you could use it on door jambs, inside of trunks or the engine compartment. Don`t let a great product go so easily.

atravis149
07-11-2001, 02:09 PM
Hey, I`ll take the trade...let me see that stuff retails for 4.95 around here. I expect that you will package it securely surrounded by at least one nice fluffy MT to protect the contents, right? Just kidding, I think its around $20 and somewhat hard to find now-a-days. It has good cleaners in it and great for insides of rims. I used it a lot before Klasse and still use it for the winter coat on the older car.

tom p.
07-11-2001, 02:36 PM
The Meguiar`s #20 followed up by a couple of coats of Blitz is one durable and slick looking package.

TiCoup
07-11-2001, 02:57 PM
Tom P.

Even the #20 followed by #26 looks pretty good, especially for winter prep.

Plus following Ron K`s advice when I use #20 (and other sealants) I let them sit on the vehicle as long as possible before removing (sometimes up to 12 hours) and the results are noticeably better.

tom p.
07-11-2001, 03:01 PM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by TBird [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>

...I let them sit on the vehicle as long as possible before removing (sometimes up to 12 hours) and the results are noticeably better. [/b]</blockquote>
In what way are the results better? Easier removal, gloss, or durability?

TiCoup
07-11-2001, 03:11 PM
This is per a post made by Ron K. - The key with most is the condition of the surface and the way they are applied.

First of all, NU-Finish Liquid is a great product. To get maximum performance out of it, apply it using the Zanio application instructions. Any polymer product needs time to crosslink and air! The same for Liquid Glass, and Liquid Luster. All are high content polymer products.

Based on reading that, I allowed longer "cure times" on the vehicle. I have tried this with Nu-Finish, #20 and Liquid Glass on various vehicles. In all cases the product wasn`t any more difficult to remove and possibly may have been a little easier to remove. And especially with the LG and #20 I noticed a higher level of gloss/shine. As far as durability goes, I haven`t really noticed anything (have only been applying like this for 2-3 months). But logic would say if the product is allowed to fully cure and I`m seeing better gloss/shine, there may be the result of increased durability. Now I`ll admit 12 hours may be overkill, but with a garage and spare vehicles I can easily do it. What Ron had in mind was probably 2-4 hours versus 1/2-1 hour.

tom p.
07-11-2001, 03:15 PM
Some interesting info/tips there from Ron. I had not seen that previously.

atravis149
07-11-2001, 03:23 PM
You are right on the dwell time. That is one big benefit of #20. If I get pulled away from the car (kicking and screaming, of course), I know that when I do get back to it the stuff will still come off easily. I`m not willing to lose the 20 yet either! It is one of my go to products.

TiCoup
07-11-2001, 03:26 PM
Sometimes when I get bored I go back and read all the posts made by certain people like Ron, Don, Beau, Brad or DetailKing to find tips or good products. I think it was Beau posting a long time ago about Blitz that got me started on it. Don`s hailing of microfiber towels got me to buy a quantity of them and I think he was the one who posted about 303 and got me into that. DetailKing has me tempted to buy Zaino products and I think I`ll try the tire dressing he uses other then the Zaino one. Brad`s posts got me buying and using Finesse It by hand. Ron`s info has me using 303 on my clear-coated leather seats and applying polymers the way I do. YoSteve convinced me to try the Black Magic Dash Protectant (which I like) on the wife`s vehicle. I can`t even begin to remember all the others I`ve learned tips from or gotton product info from, but a big THANKS goes out to everyone. Or maybe I should be cussing `em out for all the money and time spent:)