PDA

View Full Version : Products safe to leave in the garage over the winter

Pages : [1] 2

DETAILKING
07-09-2001, 10:28 PM
Man this 325i sedan has a lot of black trim on it. It took a long time to dress it all.

Anyhow, I dressed all the rubber and plastic as usual, but a funny thing happened....it didn`t soak in and dry like it usually does, and when it rained the day after, it streaked down the car and windows. I suspect that the dealer used some kind of dressing (silicone maybe) that was not washed off with my dawn wash. What do you guys recommend to deep clean the rubber moldings (something I can do without the fear of stripping wax on adjacent body panels), so that the rubber dressing has a better base to bond too?

rstype
07-09-2001, 10:35 PM
Are you talking about the trim above the windows? BMW calls in "shadow-line trim" and it comes with every 325i with sports package.

I would just treat it as a painted surface.

~BW

scottybob1
07-09-2001, 10:40 PM
I know what you mean about the streaking. I treat all my black trim pieces and have tried 303, pinnacle rubber/trim, and even Z-16. After a rain, or alot of dew, i get the streaks. I`ve tried dawn, hi-intensity, and even alcohol to pre-clean, but no luck. I`m open for suggestions as well.

DETAILKING
07-09-2001, 10:54 PM
I really think there is some kind of dressing on there already that is inhibiting bonding.......

rstype
07-09-2001, 11:27 PM
If you are sure it is some kind of a dressing inhibiting bonding, I would first try isopropyl alchohal (sp?) or Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity. If that doesn`t work, try 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, #08987. I haven`t found anything I can not remove with this product. (Ahh... I sound like Sal talking about his glass polish.)

Speaking of the Zaino glass polish, has anyone used it? I have some kind of mild scratch and also some residue that Eagle One Glass cleaner cannot remove. Would anyone reccomend this to me?

Is the application hard? Thanks.

~BW

DETAILKING
07-09-2001, 11:31 PM
It works great. Use very little...a nickel sized amount on a cloth will do one side window. Rub it in hard, like you are using rubbing compound on a car. Keep going till the glass sqeaks.....then buff off with a cotton towel, and windex the window.

thanks for the tips....I would hate to have to do this after detailing the car, but I guess I have to deep clean the trim........

awsm123
07-09-2001, 11:48 PM
Looks much cleaner and you simply wax it. Check it out.

http://www.jeffreytschumperlin.com/bmw_images/At_Alki_1.jpg

Aut0
07-10-2001, 12:31 AM
That 3m cleaner removes anything thats oil based i think, I`ve tried to use it to take coffee out and didn`t dent it than when I used water, it came right off=)

moha
07-10-2001, 07:56 AM
We have a 2000 323i (Sport Package). A week ago did the AIO/SG/Blitz routine. I AIO`d everything, including the black trim around the side windows and the black trim aorund the belt line. Looks great. Washed the car this weekend for the first time and Clear Pearl`d everything (including all the black trim). Still looks great.

imported_AndyK
07-10-2001, 08:31 AM
Very nice!

One question. That black material around the window ( not the rubber, the part that mates with the roof) do you treat it like a regular painted panel? My beretta has stuff like that, it`s not quite like the body panels, cause it continues to where the door actually seals shut. I`d show you a pic If I had a digicam. Another reason I`m asking is it has a few scratches in it from the previous owner (key marks) and I was afraid to try 3m rubbing compound for fear of making it worse, cause it`s not quite like a regular painted surface.

Any suggestions?

Mike

FJF
10-19-2009, 10:01 AM
I`ve always stored all of my stuff inside over the winter months, but I`m wondering whether some product types can weather the cold without being damaged. I`m thinking of APCs, degreasers, dressings, shampoos, and glass cleaners. What do you guys think? Can these products be left in the garage?

Felix

Bluegrass Cat
10-19-2009, 11:31 AM
I take anything liquid/paste inside. Pretty much everything else stays outside. I had a clay bar freeze once. Seemed to work fine next spring.

Old Pirate
10-19-2009, 02:06 PM
I would take them in for the winter if the garaged is too cold. Safe then sorry in my book.

bmw5541
10-19-2009, 03:59 PM
I`ve always stored all of my stuff inside over the winter months, but I`m wondering whether some product types can weather the cold without being damaged. I`m thinking of APCs, degreasers, dressings, shampoos, and glass cleaners. What do you guys think? Can these products be left in the garage?

Felix

Very good question. I am in the same boat. I think I will just take everything in.

imported_Jokeman
10-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Towels, pads and buffers get left in the garage. Everything else gets put into rubbermaid containers in the basement.