PDA

View Full Version : Others in your car

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dave N
07-08-2001, 01:40 PM
I`ve read in a few posts here that people prefer a QD without silicone. Why is this? Will it hurt the paint?

I have some Final Inspection on order, but right now I`m using regular Meguiar`s QD. I think I someone said this contains silicone...

Thanks,

Dave.

07-08-2001, 02:18 PM
Silicone is bad for paint shops, as it inhibits paint to stick on the car. A bad thing if you`re running a paint shop; fairly irrelevant if you`re a weekend warrior detailer like most of us.

jr weeks
07-08-2001, 03:59 PM
Body and paint shops hate the stuff. Fact is, if someone is detailing a car 1/4 mile away from a paint shop, and it`s a windy day, it`s been known that silicone from detailing products can travel airborne that far and cause fisheyes in paint!I`ve painted quite a few cars, and have friends in the business, and it`s a pain in the butt to have to use additives in paint to prevent this from occurring.Also affects the paints durability. For the car owner, it`s not a problem.( till you have a accident and need paintwork lol). DAN H

DETAILKING
07-08-2001, 05:08 PM
Why I would avoid silicone containing quick detailers is the dust factor. It leaves a greasy finish that is a dust magnet.

Andre'
07-08-2001, 05:11 PM
It also clouds on dark colors. It can also go through the paint all the way to the metal.

forrest@mothers
07-08-2001, 06:00 PM
is not a bad thing - it`s the TYPE of silicone that can be bad.

Some of the inexpensive rubber and vinyl protectants use a low grade of silicone that isn`t easily removed by paint preps - these are the types of silicones referred to by body shop folks as being "bad".

Please don`t confuse the types used in rubber dressings with the types used in paint detailers - they are 2 different animals.

And, the type of silicone used by Bo Derek back 20 years ago wasn`t so bad either.......

Lowejackson
07-09-2001, 10:44 AM
Andre

If silicon does cloud dark paint, is there anything that can be done to remove it?

Steven

touhy
07-09-2001, 01:49 PM
Which detailers do you think have no silicone? I bet you would be surprised if you got an MSDS

bmw5541
10-17-2009, 07:06 PM
When other people get into your car, what do they do that drives you nuts?

I can`t stand when they touch my windows:cursing:

Old Pirate
10-17-2009, 07:08 PM
Spill drinks and food.........

MB Fan
10-17-2009, 07:24 PM
I have a strict no eating policy in all the cars so the thing that drives me nuts is people who grab the top or side of the frameless window to open the door, or use it as a leverage point as though it was a sissy bar , grrrr. :cursing: :banghead: :cursing: :banghead:

Deep Gloss
10-17-2009, 07:30 PM
People that get into my car know me so they know what time it is when the enter my ride or my house...

Tuck91
10-17-2009, 07:32 PM
when they lift their feet off the mat and onto the carpet. Another thing that really aggravates me is when someone even asks to smoke or eat in my truck.

bigpoppa
10-17-2009, 08:08 PM
I have 2 other people (friends) in my car every day of the school week. Although one of them really does respect my ride, never touches anything, etc., the other drives me nuts! Brings in all sorts of leaves/dirt in the car when she gets in, and is usually snacking on breakfast (although she knows she`ll never set foot in my car again if she makes a mess or spills something). At least now (after weeks of yelling at her) she is closing the door with the handle and not touching the paint when she gets out!

Biz77
10-17-2009, 08:20 PM
Yeah my kids leave hand prints all over my car. My wife made a sneaky and ate in it. I found a rolled up straw wrapper. I was like WTF! I havent drink or eat anything in it yet. But most people mess w/ the gadgets and gizmos in my car. It doesnt bother me too much.