PDA

View Full Version : Blackfire WD After 3 Months.....

Pages : [1] 2

Desertfox66
07-03-2001, 04:20 AM
Thanks to this forum my 2000 Sterling Silver Mitsubishi Eclipse GT has never looked better. I get compliments all the time on the finish, which was relatively easy to detail being a new car.

One of my cars most ardent fans is a female co-worker. She drives a 1996 Dark Green Pontiac Trans-Am. This car is kept outside and is a daily driver. This car is rarely washed and the finish is crying out for some help. My co-worker approached me tonight at work and asked if I would be willing to tackle the project of revitalizing her cars finish. I literally jumped at the chance. I want to test my newfound skills and knowledge on a not-so-perfect finish in preparation for restoring/maintaining the classic Mustang of my dreams.

Aside from being filthy and having embedded dirt/bird droppings etc., the cars finish has lots of swirlmarks and scratches(nothing too deep that I could feel with a fingernail).

My questions to the detailing guru`s on this forum are:

1) Which products do you recommend, keeping in mind I am going to have to order a polish/rubbing compound from CMA because I haven`t needed one on my Silver GT. I already have Klasse AIO, SG, & PPG from CMA.

2) I have a cheap waxmaster random orbit buffer (a gift). Should I invest in a PC7424? I don`t want to try my hand at a high-speed direct drive for fear of burning her paint. I apply product to my own car by hand, but think I will need something more aggressive for this project.

3) If I use a Perfect-It type product do I also need to clay?

Any other helpful tips/opinions are always appreciated as I always learn something from the replies I get.

Thank you all in advance.

tom p.
07-03-2001, 06:42 AM
(DesestFox, how are you liking the Pinnalce Paste Glaz on your car? I am curious to hear your comments on it`s durability!)

Send the neglected car out to a professional shop for detailing and then see if the owner starts to take care of the car after she spent $150 or whatever to revive it from the dead. Its not likely that she is going to change her attitude towards the vehicle because you spent 10++ hours on it trying to repair and un do the tortured finish.

This method will minimize your personal frustration as you witness the car`s detioration after spending so many hours to make it look right.

john kwapick
07-03-2001, 07:52 AM
Its fun bringing a finish back to life. Since one of your goals is to learn the craft, I say go for it!

I highly recommend the porter cable 7424. Its a pro-level tool. Get a few pads for it too, since you will be switching to different compounds.

From the sounds of the project I would use a rotary on it, I say that because I haven`t used the PC too much to do the heavy cleaning/swirl removing stages. Others here have however.

I would:

Clay - removes stuff from the paint and I believe makes

heavier cleaning stages easier since you`ve taken

out the "high" spots. Use lots of QD, meguairs final inspection is good.

cleaning/swirl removal. Finesse It II machine polish.

Probably one pass on the sides of the car will be all you need. The hood and roof might need multiple passes. beau reports good luck with heavier swirls using Perfect it Fine Cut Rubbing compound (with the pc?) in the thread below re: 3M swirl mark remover.

AIO with the PC. Its actually fun putting on AIO with the PC.

The car should be looking pretty good by now. Even if it isn`t perfect, it will be markedly improved. You`ll be a hero for a day.

Desertfox66
07-03-2001, 11:34 AM
I`m up for a challange. I think the experience I gain working on her car will serve me well in the future. She swears she will take care of it this time around (yeah, right).

As for the Paste Glaz; I am 100% satisfied with it. I Klasse`d (AIO & SG x 3) then topped it with the PPG. After about a month I re-waxed. I wasn`t really sure I needed to wax again but the Paste Glaz applies and removes so easily I didn`t mind. I have basically kept to that schedule of every month whether it needs it or not.

Bottom line, I love the way the PPG looks on my car.

[Edited by DesertFox on 07-03-2001 at 12:48 PM]

Don2000g
07-03-2001, 02:31 PM
I agree. The first thing that I`d do to the car is wash it with Dawn and while you`re doing so clay it. Much safer doing it this way than claying and using a quick detailer for the lubrication. I would then use Finesse It 2 or even the Perfect It Fine Cut Compound for the swirls and light to medium scratches. I`m sure there`s some swirls and scratches on that car. Then follow with All In One and at least one coat of the Sealant Glaze. If you want to go all out, then apply another 2 coats. I really wouldn`t bother with the carnauba topper if the lady is not even going to keep up with it. I`m sure she wouldn`t really notice too much of a difference if you added the carnauba after you go through the previous outlined steps. She`ll be too shocked and pleased with the look and feel of the painted surface. Laters.

Desertfox66
07-03-2001, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the input Don. That`s the general direction I was going to go.

If anyone has more opinions one way or the other concerning the PC7424 I am open to them. Would one be helpful for this application; i.e. application and removal of the FI 2?

I have been considering buying one for a while now but I haven`t really needed it for my car, but others have asked me to detail their cars and I am considering the benefits of having one vs. the waxmaster I have now.

moha
07-03-2001, 03:07 PM
I totally agree with Don, claying using the Dawn as the lubricant is the way to go. Wash the car, hose off and then go about claying each panel with the Dawn.

I bought a PC about a year ago and would be dead without it (I have a Suburban). Last weekend did the Dawn/clay/SMR/AIO/SGx3/Blitz program on my wife`s BMW. PC`d the SMR and AIO, very easy. Removed with terry and MT`s, no problem. Like others, not a big beleiver in the SMR just yet. I would expct the application/removal of FI2 to be similar to SMR.

I wll try the FI2 this weekend on the big fella (sits outside all year, thus needs some attention) followed by the AIO/SG/Blitz.

rmccall6
07-03-2001, 04:17 PM
The PC is great. I upgraded to it after using a Waxmastter. Its far more manuverable and with the right polish and technique, you can finnese out swirls, something you cant do with the waxmaster. -Brad

Desertfox66
07-03-2001, 06:09 PM
As much as my wife won`t like it, I am going to get a PC 7424. I will tell her (truthfully) it`s to help me detail her minivan.

Thanks to all that replied, I now have a pretty firm plan in mind.

Dawn wash w/ clay

FI 2 w/ PC

AIO w/ PC

SG x 3

Probably won`t layer a carnuba, I don`t think it will be missed/appreciated

JasonC8301
07-03-2001, 06:46 PM
I have used the PC with the yellow cutting pad from CMA with the FI II. It removed about 90% of the swirls on a 99 blue corolla. Any left ober haze, none on this cars paint. I followed up with AIO by PC and 3 coats of SG by hand. The paint was a little hazy after AIO due to the humidity in NJ, but the Sg seemed to put these streaks to an end. I will Blitz over it tomorrow. I am very happy with the machine. You will love it.

Try some AIO with the included white pad in your shower if you have ceramic tiles. Another excuse for your wife.

I have three reasons on how I got the machine as a gift now(I`m 17 with a low paying job, PC was on my wish list till now). Buff cars of course, then wax the piano (costs as much as a used car 6-7K), and finally AIO the shower walls.

You`ll have fun with the machine.

Later

Jason

Desertfox66
07-03-2001, 06:51 PM
Well, I can`t say I`m stoked about cleaning my shower walls, but if it helps sway the wife....

I`m going to try to follow a similar plan to the one you used on the Corolla. I`ll be skipping the wax topper though.

Thanks again to all.

Don2000g
07-03-2001, 09:34 PM
Your very welcome. I would probably pass on the carnauba topper as well. I really don`t think the person is going to keep up with the carnauba topper anyway. Laters.

imported_Luster
10-15-2009, 02:09 PM
I applied 2 layers of Blackfire Wet Diamond 3 months ago. It is a daily driver and sits outside 24/7.

It has been raining for the last three days and I just went out and snapped a couple shots of the water beading action.

I know this is not the ultimate test of protection, but it is an indicator that sealant is still there and doing it`s job. When "sheeting" occurs, it`s time to re-apply.

The only product I`ve used since the WD 3 months ago, has been Z8 (spray) weekly to maintain slickness.

Pretty impressive beading. Actually, it looks almost as good as the day it was applied!

These shots are directly after the rain, on a dirty car... not after washing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/bluster/2006%20GTP/IMG_3691.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/bluster/2006%20GTP/IMG_3692.jpg

Tuck91
10-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Nice Bill :) :clap:

bmw5541
10-15-2009, 02:19 PM
I am looking forward to doing my full fall detail soon and trying out the WD. I can`t wait. I think I probably should have done it already, since it is snowing here in NJ.:(