PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the undercarriage...

Pages : [1] 2

BillNorth
07-02-2001, 07:06 PM
Hey everybody. Ever since I bought this product I`ve been very apprehensive about using it on my Mom`s car becuse of the reports that it causes hazing. So I decided to try it on my Dad`s old car. It`s a 1988 Olds Cutlass Ciera. The car has dark blue metallic paint on it. It`s been washed very few times in it`s life and it has very heavy swilrs along with scratches and patches of rust. The car has 305,000KM on it.

What I decided to do was take a 2x2(maybe a bit less) section of the hood and apply multiple coats of PI to it.

This was all done in the garage using my arm and a dry foam pad. Each time, I applied a drop(the size of your baby fingernail) on to the foam applicator. Using light pressure going in front to back motions I worked the product into the surface until it was tacky. I then buffed it out with a cotton towel using front to back motions.

After 20 coats(it really isn`t alot) I moved the car outside into bright sunlight to view the results. WOW, was I impressed. The section of the hood with the PI was amazing. When the sun was shining DIRECTLY ON the spot where the PI was applied, the swirls were *almost* non existent compared to the rest of the hood. No hazing existed when the sun shone on the spot directly.

BUT, yes there is a "but"(I wish there wasn`t), when the sun was shining on the hood NEXT to the part that was PI`d, you could see very very fine lines in the clearcoat where the PI was applied. These lines were going in the direction that I applied the product. The lines coupled with the angle and intensity of the sunshine, produced a hazing.

This disappointed me. On a car as beat up as my fathers, the PI had a very positve impact. But for a car with a new or like new finish, I have to wonder how useful this product is. All you`re doing is trading swirls for finer lines that cause a haze in indirect sunlight.

PI does what it says. If you`re willing to put in the time and energy and use multiple coats, then you can kiss your swirls goodbye. The problem is that IT does cause hazing.

Here`s a question:

For the people that have used this product and experienced the hazing that it produces, what did you use to get rid of the hazing? Are there any products that are even finer cut than PI that will reduce the haze? I really like this stuff. If I can find something to eliminate the hazing, then this product is definately a keeper. But if the hazing is permanent, then it might not be worth it.

Of note: The hazing could only be seen when standing directly over the hood. It wasn`t noticeable from far or medium distances.

Maybe I`m being too anal about this. But if I use this on my mom`s bimmer, and create a permanent haze, then I`ll hate myself.

Any comments, or answers to the question I posed are greatly appreciated. Thank you all for reading the above. It`s my first novel. :)

Bill.

07-02-2001, 07:10 PM
I`ve never heard truely glowing reports on Swirl Mark Remover, so I never suggest it. Finesse It II or Perfect It Fine Cut Rubbing Compound are much better products for the removal of swirls. Don`t be gun shy about these more abrasive products; just use your brain and don`t use these monthly!

Neoprufok and I attacked some moderate swirls on his black Honda with Perfect It Fine Cut Rubbing Compound. It really got rid of the swirls, but there was some hazing. Klasse All-In-One took care of this.

BillNorth
07-02-2001, 07:16 PM
Hey beau. Is it fair to say that if AIO can get rid of hazing caused by Perfect It Fine Cut Rubbing Compound, then it can remove hazing from PI SMR(39009)? Hazing is hazing? Right?

Thanks man.

07-02-2001, 07:21 PM
I would certainly think so. I`ve used Perfect It Fine Cut Rubbing Compound and then All-In-One on a black Civic Si and a dark Blue Bimmer 740il. Great results.

imported_Adamah
07-02-2001, 07:31 PM
Give Perfect-It3 Machine Glaze a try. Not long ago I got a quart of it from a buddy that owns an autobody supply store and man this stuff is the shiznit. So far I`ve used it on red paint, the clear plastic over my gauges, and tail-light, turn signal and marker lenses and the results are amazing.

Now I know why my buddy drives a Mercedes...this stuff had a $28 price tag on it.

scottybob1
07-02-2001, 08:14 PM
I have had much better luck with the 3M fine cut rubbing compound over Perfect and Finesse. From all the reviews that I have read, I can`t wait to get my hands on some of the new Perfect-It 3 and give it a try.

dvd
07-02-2001, 09:45 PM
Sort of what you`d expect, the harsher compound caused more hazing, the finer compound removed it.

Bob

neoprufrok
07-03-2001, 01:26 AM
and after Beau and I worked on my car with the pi 2, I am found!

It is a great product and it removed almost all of my swirls with very little left over. I was amazed, and so was my wife when I showed her. Neither finesse it or perfect it 3 coudl approach the success I had with pi 2.

imported_Page
07-03-2001, 07:49 AM
I just picked up a quart of Perfect It III Machine Glaze from the local auto body shop. I plan to use with the Porter Cable 7424. I will let you folks know how it turns out. The Perfect It III will be applied to a 2001 Laser Red Mustang.

From what 3M has told me, the new Perfect It III is optimized for today`s new finishes. Now, that said, they also said the results from the Perfect It II and III will be about the same. Only difference is that III does not "fill" swirls/scratches but actually "removes" them.

We will see what happens. Plan to apply in a week or so.

corvettez
07-03-2001, 10:39 AM
As I was doing the car with the 3M swirl mark remover,(it`s black) I started to get concerned that I was making things worse after realizing the panels were starting to take on a brushed and hazy look. I forged ahead however, (like I had much choice at that point) and after two coats of AIO things started to come together, I couldn`t see the haze and had a lot less marks in the paint. 3 layers of SG and now on my fourth coat of Blitz that haze was worth it. I plan to start over in the fall, the 2nd time around should produce even better results. I`d like to try the new Perfect it 3.

BillNorth
07-03-2001, 11:37 AM
Hey v85097. Thanks for sharing that with me. I`m glad the haze came out for you. My Dad`s hood also looked "brushed and hazy". Very very fine lines that produce a haze based on the angle and intensity of the sun. I`m going to test this on the old car when I get some AIO. I hope the haze comes out for me too.

Later man.

corvettez
07-03-2001, 12:08 PM
I switched from a terry cloth covered pad to an open cell foam pad and seemed to get better results. I had a good amount of R & D going on there for a while, I think I got it now, looking forward to re-doing it. Good luck to you, I think you`ll see the AIO will make a difference. Make dad proud.

imported_Page
07-03-2001, 12:40 PM
A question..

How old is your car and how deep where the swirls?

I had picked up the Perfect It III machine glaze after reading your posts on it. Now from your post above, I wonder if I should have bought it.

I have a 2001 Laser Red Mustang, with some swirls, mainly on the hood. One thing I need to do is strip off the Klasse AIO and SG I have on top and see if the "swirls" still remain.

I remember Ron K posting a while back that many "swirls" are actually micro-marring in the sealant/wax themselves, and that when the sealant/wax is reapplied these will disappear.

Not sure if what I have at this point are really REAL swirl marks, or just marring of the sealant coating.

I had planned to use the Perfect It III to really get rid of

these babies. Are you saying now that this stuff really isn`t worth the 26.00 I paid for a quart???

Guess I am trying to determine if Perfect it III is better than Perfect it II swirl mark remover, or if I should go with something stronger like the )Perfect it II rubbing compound.

What are your thoughts?

SJ

KR CoolShine
07-03-2001, 05:26 PM
I had light swirls all over the boot lid of my XJR and a few elsewhere. I was *very* pleased with the job that Perfect It III MG did on them. See the pic in the signature for after that and AIO (x2), SG (x3) and Souveran.

Give the PI III a try. If it does not fix your swirls, go with the the PI II Rubbing Compound. You will then probably need the PI III MG to get out the marks it will leave.

So, no money wasted! Just, perhaps, more to spend.

PassatPunk
07-03-2001, 11:11 PM
20 coats of #39009!?!? I just picked up a bottle of this formulated for dark cars today so I could attack the swirls in my brother`s new 96 Jetta, black. I don t have a PC.. and even if I did.. to do 20 coats on the car by hand.. would be a full day worth of just that.

I hope to get away with two coats. Then follow up with AIO and SG (Sealant Glaz.. no Simplegreen.. although IHear it does work wonders.)Guess it just matters how bad the scratches/swirls are?

PassatPunk.