PDA

View Full Version : Winter Wheel Care

Ken B
07-02-2001, 04:55 PM
I am sure you are better off leaving Klasse SG stand on the car for about 20 minutes before removing the excess.

How long should I let AIO stand on the car?

I have used it once and I basically applied it to the whole car and then proceeded to remove it, is this too long?

07-02-2001, 05:29 PM
Do a small section of the car with All-In-One, then remove immediately.

ALM
07-02-2001, 10:03 PM
I usually do the whole car and then buff it off, its says that no drying time is necessary, but I dont think you`ll hurt anything if you allow it to sit for 20 or so minutes.

Greek Guy
07-03-2001, 08:09 AM
Beau is right. The instructions says do a small section at at time then remove immediately.

imported_User Name
10-15-2009, 08:46 AM
I just bought new wheels and [snow] tires for my ride and I`m not exactly sure how to care for the new wheels.

I *think* they are painted but (as usual) I am not 100% sure.

Here is a picture of the wheel:

http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/msw/swap/msw_type11_mblk_ci3_l.jpg

The description of the wheel simply says:

Split five-spoke style
One-piece, cast construction

The "black" accents definitely feel painted. Typically on my wheels I use a grout sponge and an assortment of wheel brushes, featuring the EZ Wheel brush I got from PAC. I also have a lug nut brush I got from Autozone and an assortment of other brushes.

Some of them seem like they might be too abrasive for a painted finish so I thought maybe you guys might have some thoughts.

Thanks.

Todd@RUPES
10-15-2009, 09:05 AM
Get a soft paint brush (a nicer one) and cut the bristles to about 2 inchs in length for the spokes.

Since you have a wide opening between the spokes (assuming the brake rotor doesn`t fit to tight) I would use an older sheep skin mitt rinsed well. Obviously flush with as much water before cleaning.

And keep in mind that you will swirl them up no matter what you do, because you are removing metal from them. So don`t sweat it too much.

imported_Luster
10-15-2009, 09:50 AM
In addition to what Todd stated, I would also recommend giving them a couple coats of Zaino Clear Seal. It goes on easily, gives the wheels a very slick and shiny finish, and will last through the winter.

Then in the spring, when you take them off, clean thoroughly, and re-coat with Clear Seal to let them sit til next winter.

imported_User Name
10-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Sorry Bill but they were already sealed with 3 coats of Z2Pro before I put them on the car!!! LOL

imported_Luster
10-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Sorry Bill but they were already sealed with 3 coats of Z2Pro before I put them on the car!!! LOL

Haha.... Even Better!!!

supercharged
10-15-2009, 06:14 PM
the longest wheel sealant I`ve used is Collinite 476S. It is so durable, it took several wheel cleanings with a wheel cleaner to remove it. I`ll be trying FK 1000p this winter too.

imported_User Name
10-16-2009, 08:23 AM
the longest wheel sealant I`ve used is Collinite 476S. It is so durable, it took several wheel cleanings with a wheel cleaner to remove it. I`ll be trying FK 1000p this winter too.

I`ve have very poor results with 476s and actually ended up trading the product away, for pretty much nothing because I did not like it at all. 845IW was much better for me than 476s.

bmw5541
10-16-2009, 08:30 AM
I`ve have very poor results with 476s and actually ended up trading the product away, for pretty much nothing because I did not like it at all. 845IW was much better for me than 476s.

I just picked up some 845IW. How do you like it on your wheels? How is the durability?

imported_User Name
10-16-2009, 09:04 AM
I just picked up some 845IW. How do you like it on your wheels? How is the durability?

I didn`t use it on my wheels, rather on my paint and I liked it a lot. Found it was easy on, easy off, felt great, held its slick feel for a while and lasted.

476s on the other hand was just a bust for me. Used it on SS paint and it was basically non-existent after about 10 days.

bmw5541
10-16-2009, 09:24 AM
I didn`t use it on my wheels, rather on my paint and I liked it a lot. Found it was easy on, easy off, felt great, held its slick feel for a while and lasted.

476s on the other hand was just a bust for me. Used it on SS paint and it was basically non-existent after about 10 days.

I know that 845IW has great durability on paint. I am wondering if anybody has used it on their wheels. I would assume that it must be good on wheels as well.