PDA

View Full Version : have a question but didnt know where to put it!

cmarkovits
07-02-2001, 03:54 PM
Ok i have a new Honda CR-V 1 month old now. Going to use 303 Aerospace Protectant But what should i use to clean vinyl with first?? Allready used 303 Fabric Guard on cloth seats but what to use to clean the vinyl first before the 303 protectant? Just use mild soap and water? or i can get some Vinylex localy here but that has a protectant in it too. Wanted to use the 303 Protectent as its supposed to be less shiny.

One other question, is it ok to use the 303 Fabric Gaurd on the rug?

Greek Guy
07-02-2001, 04:02 PM
I would just use soap and water. I used Dawn. 303 says to use Ivory.

rmccall6
07-02-2001, 04:59 PM
Use Griots garage Interior Cleaner. It isnt as harsh and is easier to use. -Brad

Don2000g
07-02-2001, 11:07 PM
No problem using a Dawn and water mixture. Perfectly fine to remove any Armor All that may have been used or other light cleaning. Laters.

mikeyg402
10-15-2009, 01:54 AM
Ok Well I have a question about crows feet. I have them on my 97 explorer. The hood, roof and lift gate have it the worst. Especially the lift gate they are absolutely terrible back there. Not very big but stand out. The hood wasnt to bad till I buffed it with a orbital buffer using 3m Perfect It 3 I think it was i will have to double check in the morning. Before claybar and buffing they were barely noticeable on the hood and roof, now they stand out like a sore thumb. I have them on just about every panel except for the drivers side front and rear door. Odd yes.

When I worked in the body shops, we would just re-spray the vehicle and get it done with. That isnt an option for me for 2 reasons. I have no where to spray it plus I cant be without a vehicle for that long. If I go that route, I will remove all the dents, little bit of tiny rust starting on the inside of the doors, and do a complete pro repaint. But i dont have either the time or $$$ for that type of a job.

But I do have PLENTY of time to spend on buffing, polishing, waxing and sealing it to cover them up.

I thought I had an up close picture of both the lift gate and the hood but i do not. But i am sure you guys know what I am talking about, when i saw "crows feet" the cross hatch marks that form under the clear and it is basically the paint cracking from a cheap paint job/wear and tear on the vehicle itself.

My question to the guru`s is there any products out there that will be able to mask them so they are not as noticeable. Because this is my number one pet peeve about my truck. Its black in the first place and when its clean it looks great, but if you get close you see them plain as day and it is irritating!

So any advice is greatly appreciated and mods if you want to move this to another section that is fine too. Just the typical NOOB not knowing where to put stuff, sorry!

Michael

if you click on this link then click on the picture and blow it up you can sort of see the crows feet on the hatch
http://www.1320video.com/gallery/album189/Michael_Glissman_049

ps-- heres my truck for reference
after I owned it for about 4 months June/July 2008
http://www.1320video.com/img/1997-Ford-Explorer/Picture_035.sized.jpg

current last 2 weeks ago
http://www.1320video.com/gallery/album189/Michael_Glissman_047

http://www.1320video.com/img/album189/Michael_Glissman_049.jpg

imported_Luster
10-15-2009, 07:33 AM
Hey Michael... Welcome to TID!

Although I can`t really see the "Crow`s Feet" in the paint on the rear hatch, I know what you`re referring to.

I`ve seen that on older paint like yours, and it really shows up on dark colors.

Unfortunately, if it`s under the clear, there`s not much you can do, except keep it polished and keep a good layer or two of sealant on it.

I know you want it to look better, but the paint of the 90`s just wasn`t that good in most cases. I had a few mid-90`s cars and the paint was terrible... MUCH worse than yours.

As I said, polish and sealant should help. I`d recommend Wet Diamond for the best shine, depth and protection.

I hope others chime in with a better answer for you. :D

Old Pirate
10-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Well Michael, it`s very hard to tell from your picture. But if it`s Crow`s Feet, you might be looking at a rapaint in that rear hatch area.

mikeyg402
10-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Well Michael, it`s very hard to tell from your picture. But if it`s Crow`s Feet, you might be looking at a rapaint in that rear hatch area.

that is exactly what I dont want to do. because if I get into repainting the rear hatch i am going to want to do the whole truck. Then it would get a total make over done by me. I would give it a lot of depth with a brand new black paint job. I would probably even go as far as using Sikkens on it:D

I used Sikkens on my Bronco. it was a two tone job. With a bright metallic light blue on the top and bottom and a pearl white in the center. It was truly the most amazing Bronco in Omaha. For the year at least. It was a 95 XLT full size with nitrous :clap: :out: hahaha long story there.

But back to my truck. Ok so Im going to give the wet diamond a try. Im going to purchase one of their big kits, and go through the whole process from degreasing, soaking, washing, clay bar, swirl remover and so on. I am going to follow the online guides from here and take pictures along the whole way.

I know I have a ton of work ahead of me. I have quite a big of time behind the traditional buffer/polisher. That only spins in one direction.

here is the next question:
Will i need a dual action buffer for this under taking? Or can i do it all with my traditional one direction buffer? If I do need one, is there a brand that is relatively in expensive under $100 that is reliable and wont break after a year?

thanks

michael