PDA

View Full Version : Wanna see a HIGH DOLLAR paint job??? Black `67 Goat

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

TiCoup
06-29-2001, 10:57 AM
Seeing all you guys buying BMW`s and such gets me all ready to run down to the dealer and grab one too. But I need to think a little more economically. I`ve seen some nice VW`s here and am considering a Passat or Jetta, but the other one I`m looking at is a 2002 Subaru Imprezza WRX Sedan. Anybody have one? What about you VW guys and others buying sport sedans? Anybody consider the WRX? I know this is a little off-topic, but sport sedans seem to be real popular here so I thought I`d ask.

Footy
06-29-2001, 11:08 AM
<blockquote class=`ipsBlockquote` >

<em class=`bbc`>Originally posted by TBird [/i]
<strong class=`bbc`>a 2002 Subaru Imprezza WRX Sedan. Anybody have one? [/b]</blockquote>One? Michael H down in Australia has <strong class=`bbc`>two[/b], including an STi if I remember correctly.

Definitely a good choice, I`d say

ihetenyi
06-29-2001, 01:52 PM
I looked at a silver wagon WRX several times prior to buying my wolfsburg Jetta. My car is a commuter and I`m not into competitive driving, so I thought the jetta with its comfort and aesthetics (not to mention lower price) was a better fit for me. The WRX is an aggresive ride and should be taken to an autocross (or rally...) to be fully appreciated. While the Jetta has a more upscale look and feel, I believe the WRX would probably hold together better over time. If you`re a performance first kind of guy the WRX absolutely should be on your list of drives... the trade off will be in the prestige and looks factor.

Just take an honest assesment of your priorities and go for it! Let us know if you get one and post pics!

Steve

Bob Post
06-29-2001, 02:02 PM
I saw a 4 door at Comp USA and the owner gave me the tour, very nice car, but in a race or rally type of way, not in a luxury way even though it`s very comfortable. It just was designed to be something else. You won`t have the prestige of driving something else if you buy one, but the smile on your face from pure driving pleasure should make up for it!

It`s kinda like my M3, most people don`t know what the heck it is, so for the money I don`t get the "stare" factor but the driving pleasure outweighs the gawking that other cars

get over mine. The WRX is a rally type car that`s been proven in the field years ago, so the drivetrain is stout as well as the engine. Looks to be a very fun drive, I would consider it if your a true driving fanatic, but don`t buy it

for prestige or looks because it`s lacking slightly in those

areas. Go to the Subaru site, but the pics don`t do it justice, drive one. Later.

touhy
06-29-2001, 02:10 PM
I`ve got one on order. Have to agree with most comments on this thread the car is a drivers car not a show car. In fact, I think it`s ugly. But if you are interested in a car that performs great off the floor and has great potential for additional performance enhancements it can`t be beat. I just wish it wasn`t so ugly. The upside is it won`t draw much attention from law enforcement.

TonyTahoe
06-29-2001, 04:12 PM
I think that guy Paul H. from Australia also has Subaru`s. You know, the crocodile guy...:):)

bmerjorge21
06-29-2001, 04:20 PM
I`d definitely go Suba over Jetta and would probably go Passat over Suba if it was the V6. The Suba has the advantage of standard AWD, and the Passat`s AWD can only be had w/ an auto tranny which jacks the price up $3k! http://www.contrabandent.com/pez/otn/shocked/tdo12.gif I will say that I have never owned a VW but I have owned FWD cars before and AWD is so much more fun to drive! Living in the snowbelt, AWD really helps alot too! I`d drive them all then make your decision! http://www.mpz.co.uk/cwm/otn/glasses/icon20.gif

ihetenyi
06-29-2001, 04:34 PM
I definitely agree with the all-wheel drive comments. Any power to the rear wheels is a good thing for a performance car :). Keep in mind that the car comes shod in some pretty high profile rubber (which sticks with its rally intentions). If thats not what you like and you throw some high performance rubber on then you will have to pay very close attention to winter even with AWD (learned that from personal experience). You`d have to swap the originals or snows back on. Just food for thought..

06-29-2001, 06:12 PM
I put a bid on a BMW, they didn`t need my money, they wouldn`t budge. I got my Passat at invoice. Dave`s correct, its the same price as the starter BMW so it`ll cost. I ended up choosing my Passat because I wanted a unique car (not so much these days but still less than some BMW`s), I wanted more room (I get kinda closed in the intro BMW`s drivers seat, and the back seat and trunk on a Passat is very sizable), I liked the interior feel (VW`s blue lighting and wood grain looks sweet), and the options (BMW options are pricey).

I imagine if you applied these factors to a WRX it wouldn`t match up as well as the Passat (I`ve never been near a WRX) but I`m assuming in looses in room and style but wins in performance (there are a few Passaters that have made the subaru switch, they want performance). Depends what you want I guess. I hope that helped a little, kinda long.

PassatPunk
06-29-2001, 07:46 PM
The WRXs are cute and all.. a lot of boost but it all depends on what you are looking for. These are not very upgradeble under the hood I could imagine seeing they are alreayd pushing like 1bar/14lbs.

VW I am def a lil` biased to maybe? The Passat Wagons are a sweet ride. I am crusing around in just about the same ride as YoSteve. I think mine is one year newer; still both the same platform (B5). The B5.5s are out now-> minor changes, more horespower&torque though I think. Since I dont think you would really just go out and buy a car in a jiffy, or maybe you would?, the 2002 Passats are to be making their way in here real soon. And with the introduction of the W8, VWs first V8 which is wrapped in great looks and luxury.. I think you may be best to wait a few months if you were to go VW route. Not only are Passats changing a bit and the new W8 is going to debut here in the States, but all the line of models are getting some improvements. Most of which you will see under the hood along with some other things here and there and the addition/deleting of some colors.

The Passat is not a bad choice. But a WRX is about 24Gs... and a TOL Passat GLX V6 is looking at 30G. So maybe if you were looking for the 24G range, a loaded Jetta would do the trick. Or if you want to have fun.. get it with the 1.8T Engine and 5 spd tranny. The 1.8Ts are good engines to mod.

All matters what you are looking for. Start checking out the forums. Go to VWVortex.com for your VW needs. They have a great write up about the W8; actual press release aus Wolfsburg. The Car is a beauty, minor differences on the exterior from a Passat, but the interior is a charm. These will run for high 30s I think. Around that of a lower model BMW.

I could talk forever. Keep us up to date on your car ideas.

PassatPunk.

Now that I look down a bit I see comments about the AWD. VW has the 4motion which is only coupled with the Tiptronic tranny/Auto tranny. (the Tip is enjoyable BTW)

Faster car stock with like said a "stouter" engine and drivetrain.. I think the rally car would get you there.

A touch of luxury and class and power and you plan to stay on the pavement... the Passat or Jetta may be for you.

Like wolfsburg said.. take an honest assesment. Find out what you need. Cause it is your 20-30Gs that your spending!

06-29-2001, 11:16 PM
All I have to say is that they`re coming out with a Jetta convertible.

cahlroach
06-29-2001, 11:27 PM
I got my WRX about 5 weeks ago. I love this automobile. Of course if I was designing it I would make a few changes (better stereo, 17" wheels standard, better tires, leather option, 6 speed transmission,) but this car is so much fun to drive. To put it in perspective, my other car is a Honda S2000 and I have owned some nice cars over the years (1989 Porcshe 911, VW Scirrocos, Corrodo, Vette, TR-6, etc). Drive one, its a blast!

RedVR6
06-30-2001, 09:43 AM
I have a 1995 Jetta GLX. When I was shopping for a car, I was tossing my purchase decision between a Subaru Legacy GT and the GLX. Took the Jetta out for a ride and was sold right there on the spot, aside for not being able to find a used Legacy GT...I think my decision might have been a little different though if the Subaru had a 6 cyl engine....(That stereotypical American needing a bigger engine coming out ;) ). I prefer the AWD over FWD and wish VW had it on all their cars and it is one of my requirments when I start shopping again.

Anyhow, my brother is in the same predicament...can`t swing an Audi, wants AWD...likes the VW`s but liks the Subarus too. I think the WRX needs some cosmetic improvements (wheels, front end, etc)....but def. worth a serious look at.

:)

boywonder
07-12-2001, 03:00 PM
Just for giggles, I would do the Subaru. But since I am a man of large stature, I need something with more room. Therefore, a Maxima SE will do just fine.

drmcetta
07-21-2001, 11:37 AM
I have one...second allocation (about 3 months ago)

I drove a jetta before, drove a prelude, several other car in the price range..and nothing came close to WRX...except of course the interior..I`m not saying the wrx has bad interior, it`s pretty good in my opinion, but it`s nothing like Audi`s or BMW`s...so this car has "function over form" motto...

again nothing beats WRX handling wise, practical wise, and performance wise in its price range...and if you live like where I live (wisconsin).,.the all wheel drive will come handy in the winter :)

well, you should test drive one and compare it with the jetta or any other car under 30K...

just my .02 :)