PDA

View Full Version : For the professional detailers

waynethacker@earthlink.net
04-22-2001, 09:39 PM
I`d like to detail my car, but to remove the "spiderweb" in the paint, I`d need a buffer/polisher. From what I`ve read, I`d need something better than the Porter Cable unit that many use here on their cars. Is there a non-orbital unit that is suggested?

Then of course, there`s the products to be used? The car is dark blue, and has a minimum of scratches, just the mild spiderweb that is visible only in bright sunlight and under bright flourescent lighting at night.

The car is a 00 Audi A6, color is Ming Blue. Only hand washed, and only professionally detailed once.

As of date, I use Meguiars cleaner/wax, followed up by Gliptone Carnauba paste wax.

Last but not least, where is a good place to buy microfibre towels/mitts?

Thanks in advance.

JasonC8301
04-22-2001, 09:51 PM
If its mild spiderwebbing I highly doubt you need something more serious than a Porter Cable. You can even remove mild spiderwebbing by hand. If you do not have experience using a rotary buffer you might end up removing the spiderwebbing and the paint it self. Rotary buffers are only to be used by people that know ho to use them and/or have had training with one of them.
3M Perfect it for darker cars or 3M Finesse It II will most likely remove these spider webs from your ming blue A6. These two products can be applied by hand or some people here have success with 3M Finesse It II with their PC.
Always follow up with a sealant oand wax to preotect the finish. Most regulars here use Klasse Sealant Glaze followed by a carnauba topper. One Grand Blitz and Pinnacle Souveran are carnauba favorites on this board.

For Microfiber towels stick with The Miracle Towel. Available at http://www.properautocare.com (`http://www.properautocare.com`) or http://www.tacscar.com (`http://www.tacscar.com`)
Just my 2 cents

tthomp82
10-14-2009, 01:57 PM
Do any of you carry some sort of liability insurance that would cover you in the event something happens to the car whilst in your care?

And if so have you ever had to use it?

Old Pirate
10-14-2009, 01:59 PM
It`s a must have for a detailer to have a License or a LLC and liability insurance. One doesn`t want the trouble in not having it.

tthomp82
10-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Is there a state licensing board for detailing or did you mean a driver`s license?

Old Pirate
10-14-2009, 02:03 PM
A Tax ID from your county will work, but check with them first. Each state is different in this area, so you should call and ask.

imported_Flash Gordon
10-14-2009, 02:47 PM
A $500,000 Garage Keepers Policy is all you need. In Mphs, its around $800-$1,000 a year if you have decent credit

mcox
10-14-2009, 07:35 PM
tthomp82,

Not sure what it is over in your neck of the woods however here in San Antonio there isn`t any type of business license requirement, only a DBA that should/needs to be filed with every county/town you intend to do business in. As for liability insurance see Flash` post. I would venture to say unless you are independently wealthy it is a must have. Also, view it from a potential clients perspective. Would you want someone working on your vehicle that isn`t insured?

Nick Chapman
10-15-2009, 06:26 AM
I keep a $2 million dollar liability policy. In my eyes it`s a "must have"! If you`re shopping for insurance, Safeco seems to have the best rates and coverage, most detailers I talk to have Safeco.

Nick

rockymountaindetail
10-15-2009, 09:04 AM
I carry 2 million liability as well. You need to look at policies carefully as many won`t cover you if you are driving the car. This means even backing it up in a driveway. Thankfully I never had to use it. Great to know it`s there though.

tthomp82
10-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the great info... being an insurance broker, I was curious to see how you guys did it... especially after seeing some of these lambos and ferraris and that bugatti sitting your garages.

Insurance nerd I guess.

imported_Flash Gordon
10-15-2009, 09:32 AM
I keep a $2 million dollar liability policy. In my eyes it`s a "must have"! If you`re shopping for insurance, Safeco seems to have the best rates and coverage, most detailers I talk to have Safeco.
Nick

Unless you keep a garage full of "BRAND NEW" Ferraris this is overkill ^^^:out: Call your agent today, raise your deductable, and cancel 3/4

I carry 2 million liability as well. You need to look at policies carefully as many won`t cover you if you are driving the car. This means even backing it up in a driveway. Thankfully I never had to use it. Great to know it`s there though.

Theres a way around that also. GOD forbid I every have a terible accident while driving a clients car, but if I do, my personall insurance will cover it as long as the client will say(if even ever asked) that I was just a freind borrowing there car. If they know you are detailing it, they want cover. If your just "borrowing it" they will :wink:

imported_Flash Gordon
10-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Nick

Unless you keep a garage full of "BRAND NEW" Ferraris this is overkill ^^^:out:

Theres a way around that also. GOD forbid I every have a terible accident while driving a clients car, but if I do, my personal insurance will cover it as long as the client will say(if even ever asked) that I was just a freind borrowing there car. If they(Ins. Co.) know you are detailing it, they want cover. If your just "borrowing it" they will :wink: