PDA

View Full Version : Newbie machine question...

red rock rubi
10-10-2009, 10:56 AM
I`m sure this has been addressed but I need to start posting to have a chance at the raffle.... here it is...

I`m going to take the plunge and am looking at machine polishers. I`m looking at the PC7424XP combo kits with the Meg 105/205 products. I`m already a Blackfire user! Love dat stuff!! :thumbup: So....

I need to get my JK ready for the winter months, here`s the question... will the PC be able to cut through the off-roading Arizona pinstripes (branch scratches in clearcoat) and if so, what pad selection should I order with the PC??

I already own a circular polisher/sander that in years past I was great at burning paint with so I don`t want to go there on the JK, but suppose I can if the PC won`t cut it, but I`ll need to practice first.

Any help on pad and machine choice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

imported_Luster
10-10-2009, 03:18 PM
will the PC be able to cut through the off-roading Arizona pinstripes (branch scratches in clearcoat) and if so, what pad selection should I order with the PC??

I already own a circular polisher/sander that in years past I was great at burning paint with so I don`t want to go there on the JK, but suppose I can if the PC won`t cut it, but I`ll need to practice first.

Any help on pad and machine choice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I`ve had really good success with my PC 7424XP with a Yellow Cutting pad and M105 on beat up clearcoat.

However, if those scratches are "fingernail" deep, they may require wetsanding. And some may not come out at all. At any rate, your paint finish should look SIGNIFICANTLY better!

After M105/Yellow, I finsh with M205/White to remove the hazing left by the yellow pad.

You`ll get some other opinions also.

Welcome to TID!!!

Nick Chapman
10-12-2009, 06:44 AM
First off, what is a JK?

If it was me, I would go for the Flex. I`ve been in a bind before and needed to wet sand some small areas, and didn`t have my rotary handy. I popped a purple foamed wool pad on the Flex with a little M105 and was able to remove the wet sanding scratches.

For a beginer, the Flex in an amazing tool! I have my guys using them for the light paint correction jobs, and it preforms flawlessly! Rarely do we ever pull out the DA for any type of paint correction, it`s either the rotary or Flex.

Nick

imported_Luster
10-12-2009, 08:37 AM
First off, what is a JK?

I didn`t ask... I just figured it was some kind of a vehicle with paint on it!:D

tthomp82
10-12-2009, 08:48 AM
paired with the Off Road comment...

http://www.4x4offroads.com/image-files/6-4l-hemi-jeep-jk-wrangler-4-door.jpg

red rock rubi
10-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Yep, sorry my bad! tthomp82 got it right.

JK = 2009 Red Rock Crystal, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.

Haven`t figured out how to compress and post pics yet. So I`m not sure how this is going to come out...