PDA

View Full Version : Your go to masking tape

Pages : [1] 2

jastg
09-20-2009, 03:16 PM
Ok. I have been researching tapes for masking. I know 3M is a great product but not at the asking price. I have been interested in Intertape which is cheaper than 3M. I also know drafting tape from 3M is some what cheaper and low tack tape alternative. So please share the products that you use products. I know I will need to acquire 1/2" and 1/4" tape from auto body suppliers. I just can`t justify 3M prices for there products.
I`m curious about quality and alternatives of other tapes. Please share your knowledge everyone.
Thanks in advance,
Jason

imported_pmdureska
09-20-2009, 07:39 PM
i taped off my car in prep for menzerna one step. i tried the blue painters tape around the wide matte black fender flares but on the other trim, around windows, door handles, roof rack etc i used the green "gator" tape that has a lower tack. the gator tape is more expensive but the paint store had some less expensive generic brand that i chose not to use. neither left a residue and came off easily and protected the trim. the gator tape was easier to apply around the smaller trim since it is less sticky and easier to maneuver. just my 2 cents as i`m a newbie at all this stuff. i`ll try the generic brand when i get around to doing my wife`s car.

imported_Luster
09-20-2009, 08:14 PM
I like Sherwin-Williams painter`s tape. It`s not blue or green (haha), but it works very well and it`s half the price of the "Blue" variety.:wink:

jastg
09-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Thanks Bill. I check that tape out.
Jason

EclecTech
09-21-2009, 05:34 PM
+1 on the Sherwin Williams tape. I tried some of their yellow tape and found it pretty forgiving - allowed me enough chances to get it in place and still stayed there. Quicker than trying to remove products and then redressing the trim :redface:.

Jack
(-1 buffer skills)

presidential_detail
09-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Ive used several different tapes including the sherwin williams, by far the best tape is the 3m green "automotive" tape. You can leave it for 2-3 days no problem and have no residue left behind. This is something I have not found with the other tapes. It is more expensive than some of the others, but Id rather pay an extra buck to not have to clean up the residue off all the rubber moldings. I also find that it contours around curves better than the others as well..I wont use anything else.

PS. you can find it in the automotive section at any walmart. ;)

imported_Stokdgs
09-22-2009, 12:30 AM
I have a business account at the local Sherwin Williams Automotive Paint Store here in Bellevue, WA. and I buy 3M lime green Painters Tape # 233+ at $2.93/roll for the 3/4" size. I also buy their 1/4" same tape but cant remember the price, but it would have to be lower.
It is great tape, holds on tight, no residue, pulls off easy, is strong enough to not break easy, and the 1/4" size can be pulled and curved in any direction you want it to go.

I never use the blue painters tape because as we all know, its way too expensive.

I have not seen the cheaper tape at the same store but will look for it next time I go.

DanF

Todd@RUPES
09-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Ive used several different tapes including the sherwin williams, by far the best tape is the 3m green "automotive" tape. You can leave it for 2-3 days no problem and have no residue left behind. This is something I have not found with the other tapes. It is more expensive than some of the others, but Id rather pay an extra buck to not have to clean up the residue off all the rubber moldings. I also find that it contours around curves better than the others as well..I wont use anything else.

PS. you can find it in the automotive section at any walmart. ;)

Billy, I have heard a lot of people sing the praises of this tape, but when I tried it, I thought it was terrible. Every time I ran the buffer over the tape, adhesive would pull out and smear all over the paint. Anybody who has mixed Meznerna SIP and adhesive together knows what a joy that can be on a rotary.

Perhaps my tape was old and a bad batch.

For me, I get the 3M blue tow tack from Home Depot. 3M seems to have a variety of `blue` tapes, or they have a variance in tolerances, because not even all blue tape is created equal, IME.

imported_Bunky
09-22-2009, 10:34 AM
After I taped up one of my cars, I figured I spent more money on tape than I will on the polish used..... The money is in the tape...

presidential_detail
09-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Billy, I have heard a lot of people sing the praises of this tape, but when I tried it, I thought it was terrible. Every time I ran the buffer over the tape, adhesive would pull out and smear all over the paint. Anybody who has mixed Meznerna SIP and adhesive together knows what a joy that can be on a rotary.

Perhaps my tape was old and a bad batch.

For me, I get the 3M blue tow tack from Home Depot. 3M seems to have a variety of `blue` tapes, or they have a variance in tolerances, because not even all blue tape is created equal, IME.

Dont hit it with the buffer...

I KEED I KEED! :iagree: It does do this occasionally, Ill have to give the tape you mentioned a shot.

imported_Luster
09-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Dont hit it with the buffer...

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Lazzman
10-21-2009, 03:07 PM
I first started using the 3M blue but due to residue I switched to the green, for some reason the green leaves some residue behind also and it is not tacky enough for me, especially in the tight corners where the buffer mows over it.

What is the secret for getting the tape tack off the paint?

imported_broker99
10-21-2009, 04:45 PM
I like Sherwin-Williams painter`s tape. It`s not blue or green (haha), but it works very well and it`s half the price of the "Blue" variety.:wink:

I just pick some of this tape up today and I am looking forward to trying it out. After that H2 I should have bought stock in the company. The SW tape is less money and I like that.

imported_Jokeman
10-22-2009, 10:35 AM
3M blue tape is the only way to go!

Todd@RUPES
10-22-2009, 11:35 AM
I just pick some of this tape up today and I am looking forward to trying it out. After that H2 I should have bought stock in the company. The SW tape is less money and I like that.

Any up dates?!