PDA

View Full Version : Where were you 8 years ago today

imported_Flash Gordon
09-11-2009, 05:37 AM
I had just gotten started detailing my Postwomens(Mailman) Volvo. A freind called and said "A plane just hit the World Trade Center" I didn`t think mych of it, and continued on. About 10 minutes later, another freind called to inform me 2 planes had hit the WTC....I was like WTF

I switched the T.V. on and could hardly come unglued from it to complete the car I was working on. What a sad day in American History

imported_broker99
09-11-2009, 06:06 AM
I was at the gym and I was on my way out and noticed some people around one of the TV`s. I wonder what was going on. When I got back home I turned on the TV and my mouth dropped. I will never forget that morning as long as I live.

imported_Luster
09-11-2009, 06:36 AM
In my office, getting ready to drive out to a remote jobsite. A gathering of my fellow employees were grouped in front of the TV`s in the cafeteria.

Old Pirate
09-11-2009, 06:42 AM
I just got back from taking my kid to school when it happen, then less then 2 weeks later I got call back to active duty, being retired for 6 years it was not easy.

gmblack3
09-11-2009, 06:59 AM
I was on the computer and my brother called. Like many others I was glued to the TV for days. Could not sleep for a while.

God bless those who fight for our freedom!

imported_broker99
09-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Thank you for your service Angelo and all the other men and women that have served. Please keep everyone in uniform in your prayers.

FJF
09-11-2009, 09:07 AM
Eight years ago, we were just a few days into launching a new forum. It was ~9:30EST when my partner called from the West Coast.

Street Dreams
09-11-2009, 10:47 AM
Sitting in my 4th grade classroom, teachers were confused students had no idea what was happening.

Then we heard Apache helicopters fly over the building on the way to NY for AID

Never will forget that day, the mass confusion, the tragedy!

Junebug
09-11-2009, 02:58 PM
I was at work, a friend said a plane hit the WTC and I was like - poor guy, thinking some little single seater hit, then the news started flooding in - talk about SHOCK! We had equipment in both towers and had an engineer going there for maintenance that morning. It was by the grace of God that he got stuck in traffic and was miles away when it happened.

John Henry
09-11-2009, 05:47 PM
New York City. Nowhere near lower Manhattan, but close enough. It took four days to get home to Boulder.

Ditto Broker. For those who do not know... Angelo is the real deal... USAF SpecOps. Thank you, buddy.

MB Fan
09-11-2009, 07:28 PM
I was sitting on an airplane at John Wayne airport waiting for the airport to open at 7am for takeoffs. Suddenly the plane was surrounded by sherrifs cars and we were ordered to get off the plane. No one had any idea what was going on until we got into the airport and walked by some of the TV`s. I got to my office and started calling my agency folks in Manhattan and got no answers - sadly several of them lost friends and family in the Towers.

imported_User Name
09-11-2009, 09:25 PM
My office was on the corner of Broadway and Liberty (one block east of the trade center).

When the first plane hit I was sitting at my desk and heard and felt the rattle. Many of my coworkers had been around for the `93 WTC bombing and some suspected a bombing. We soon heard "a plane hit the WTC". We assumed it was a small plane.

One of the partners at my firm and I went out to see what was going on. That was when we saw the magnitude and witnessed the jumpers.

We moved to the corner of Church and Liberty about 300 feet from the South tower. A few moments later, we heard a terrible winding noise, looked up, and saw what we believed to be a missile hit the south tower.

I stayed close because I know CPR and figured first responders might need help, never once contemplating that either building would collapse. I stayed on that corner watching, in disbelief, until the south tower started to crumble.

I ran east on Liberty across Broadway and maybe about 100 feet beyond Broadway when the cloud caught up to me. The air was thick and dense and before I knew it, it was pitch dark and the thick debris was choking me. I remember falling to the ground thinking I was about to die from being unable to breath. I coughed up all of the crap I had injested and the dust started to somewhat settle, enough so that I could see. I eventually made my way to the Brooklyn Bridge and walked over into Brooklyn. I walked from the BB to Bayridge Brooklyn to my apartment many hours later.

My law office remained closed for about three weeks thereafter. When we reopened, the fires at WTC were still going strong. My office window looked out at the site. I looked at that view for 7 more years, until I moved back to Toronto.

Easily, the worst day of my life.