PDA

View Full Version : porter cable 7428

imported_glfahlc
08-17-2009, 04:34 PM
does anyone else own this circular polisher. i`ve had mine for a lil over a year and the i just got it out of the shop. the gear had broken teeth and after some usage it just stops spinning. i have to release the trigger and start it up again. anybody have this problem as well, should i take it back to the shop or look for something else...

Todd@RUPES
08-17-2009, 06:11 PM
does anyone else own this circular polisher. i`ve had mine for a lil over a year and the i just got it out of the shop. the gear had broken teeth and after some usage it just stops spinning. i have to release the trigger and start it up again. anybody have this problem as well, should i take it back to the shop or look for something else...

I own the large Flex rotary which is pretty much the same thing as the PC. They have the same body, motor, and specs, although the Flex version has `upgraded electronics`. I do not like this machine at all. If I where you, then I would ditch the PC/Flex and move to a Makita 9227c and never look back. Of course that is preference, but it is my opinion you asked for. And I just didn`t type that ;)

Old Pirate
08-17-2009, 06:24 PM
I got Makita and De Walt, Flex and Hitachi units in stock and ready for a new home and don`t forget your Forum discount of 10% off a new unit..............:thumbup:

imported_rwisejr
08-17-2009, 07:04 PM

I have owned mine for 2+ years and have had no issues . I just recently ave it to my brother as I added a couple of new rotaries to my arsenal.He needed a back up to his Makita pre 9227 polisher.

imported_glfahlc
08-18-2009, 11:01 AM
i guess i just got a lemon. is there a lemon law on rotary polishers, dang... there you go todd and zoom zoom, trying to get me to spend mo money... gotta tell the wife what you said though.

Old Pirate
08-18-2009, 11:08 AM
i guess i just got a lemon. is there a lemon law on rotary polishers, dang... there you go todd and zoom zoom, trying to get me to spend mo money... gotta tell the wife what you said though.

Blame it on Todd, but I`ll give you 10% off..........:D

imported_glfahlc
08-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Blame it on Todd, but I`ll give you 10% off..........:D

10% huh....hmmmmmm

imported_glfahlc
08-18-2009, 12:25 PM
which is better, the makita or the hitachi....

Old Pirate
08-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Both are great machines, I preferred the Makita.

imported_glfahlc
08-18-2009, 12:44 PM
thanks zoom zoom... i`ll do lil research on those two machines and get back with you. thanks bro

Old Pirate
08-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Anytime.........:thumbup:

Todd@RUPES
08-18-2009, 04:53 PM
which is better, the makita or the hitachi....

Ah your going to get me in trouble here....

The first rotary I was to use regularly was a Hitachi, and I liked it. Then it started to break, a lot. A fellow detailer lent me his Makita, and from the time I squeezed the trigger... it was love.

From a feel stand point: The Makita is the heavier of the two machines. On paper the Hitachi weighs an ounce less. They may not measure to the same standard, because with the bail handles attached, the Hitachi feels significantly lighter. To me the extra weight of the Makita is really well balanced and makes the machine feel more sturdy. The weird thing is that I don`t feel any more fatigue when using the heavier Makita, likely because of the amazing balance.

As far as ergonomics, both place your hands in similar positions. If you have used either of them previously, you should adjust to the slightly different positions quickly. In my opinion both are ideal.

Power: The Hitachi is rated at slightly more power, but in use, the Makita seems like it has more grunt. This could be a psychological effect from the heavier weight. I have had the Hitachi bog down and stall before, as well as overheat; I have never experienced this with the Makita. In most cases both will have enough power to polish just about anything with out issue, although I tend to use a fair bit more pressure (and thus `abuse` the machine more) then other detailers.

For the most part each have a very similar feel and are equally capable machines with slightly different feels: The Hitachi has a lighter, sports car feel, like a Ferrari. It has plenty of power and really involves you in the process. The trigger on the Hitachi is razor sharp, allowing you to quickly change RPM`s with precision, with just a slight change in pressure. On the other hand, the Makita, is like a Bentley. Both a Ferrari F430 and a Bentley have the same power, it`s just the method of application of that power. The Makita has a great, solid, well balanced feel and is perfectly refined and smooth. The entire machine just feels better built, and like a Bentley CGT, it is heavier but does an amazing job of controlling the weight and handling the track.

The three main differences between the two machines are:

The Trigger- The Hitachi has the best trigger of any rotary I have used. The pull is very linear and smooth, with a great spring. The Makita`s trigger is very numb by comparison, with the RPM`s seeming to change in stages, instead of the linear and perfectly matched rate of the Hitachi`s. This difference will change the way you operate the machine. With the Hitachi, I never used the thumb lock because I used the trigger to vary the speed of the machine. To not use the trigger would be like ordering your Ferrari with an automatic. With Makita, I found myself using the thumb lock and varying the RPM with the thumb dial. Which brings me to the next difference.

The Thumb dial- The Hitachi`s thumb dial is difficult to use, which is why it is a great thing it has such a good trigger. There is no notching on the dial, so it just free wheels with no preset points. The Makita has a great thumb switch, will clearly defined notches and presents. It clicks through the range with little effort and precision. It stays exactly where you want it, which cannot be said of the Hitachi. In fact the free wheel thumb dial is so `loose` that if you set the machine down or brush against it, you can accidentally role to the speed dial all the way to 3000 RPM. And this is a problem that brings me to the final difference.

Soft Start- The Hitachi doesn`t need a soft start, it is very precise, and a smooth pull of the trigger is all that you need to get it started. With the Hitachi, the soft start is ideal, because of the imprecise pull of the trigger. But the problem with the Hitachi is that the loose thumb dial is easily moved, and if you accidentally role the dial to max speed, the start up is very abrupt. A smooth pull on the trigger equals 2500 RPM almost instantly if the dial is set to max speed, which can be scary at times.

In the end there is no wrong choice. I find that I prefer the overall package I get with the Makita in terms of feel. The best choice for me isn`t the best choice for everybody, but this is the best I can do in breaking down my experiences with the both machines. I hope this helped.

imported_glfahlc
08-18-2009, 05:24 PM
very nice write up todd. one thing you didn`t mention and may or may not matter to most. the makita has a 1 yr warranty whereas the hitachi has a 5 yr... before reading your excellent prose, i was leaning towards the hitachi, now you got me reconsidering. thanks todd. neither .com sites were more informative than what you just wrote... much appreciated