PDA

View Full Version : M205 Question

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_User Name
08-04-2009, 05:06 PM
I am starting to read from people on various fora that they do not believe M205 leaves the finish "LSP ready".

That is to say, the have to usually follow M205 with something like 3M Ultrafina to really make the paint perfect.

My question is really to the seasoned pros both rotary and DA user alike to ask them about M205 and the finish it leaves.

Does it matter if I`m using a DA or a rotary? What I mean by that is can I get my paint "LSP ready" with M205 and a DA? I`ve been using it and I thought it did an amazing job on my finish but now I`m starting to second guess myself.

Tim Lingor
08-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Hey UN,

It depends on the paint finish and the method of application (ie. Rotary or DA). On some paints, I have found M205 to finish down perfectly with both the rotary and DA while on others, it works better with the rotary. So, like anything in paint detailing, other factors must be considered.

As I have posted elsewhere, I, like many others, will follow M205 with the 3M UF, as I like the added richness and refinement the 3M UF provides. :)

Tim

imported_Luster
08-04-2009, 09:29 PM
I`ve been using it and I thought it did an amazing job on my finish but now I`m starting to second guess myself.

No need to. I specifically use 205 to prep the paint surface for LSP. I use a PC 7424XP and it does a great job in combination with 205.

I`ll take it one step further. On some paints, I`ve seen M105 properly prep the paint for LSP. (Some single stage paints).

If there are no swirls, no trails, no hazing, why would you go to a finer polish?

gmblack3
08-05-2009, 07:04 AM
IMO w M205/PC you need to keep the pressure on the firm side w/ gray/black pad to finish out properly.

imported_User Name
08-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Is 3M ultrafina something I can get OTC?

imported_Stokdgs
08-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Yes, I am pretty sure they sell it.
DanF

imported_akimel
08-05-2009, 12:43 PM
A related question: If one has worked the paint surface with M105 with DA polisher and intend to follow-up with M205, what pad should one use with the M205? Finishing pad? Polishing pad? TIA.

imported_Luster
08-05-2009, 01:48 PM
A related question: If one has worked the paint surface with M105 with DA polisher and intend to follow-up with M205, what pad should one use with the M205? Finishing pad? Polishing pad? TIA.

I usually use M105/LC Orange, then M205/LC White.

imported_Stokdgs
08-05-2009, 02:27 PM
It is hard to answer the question without knowing what the condition of the paint looks like after you used say, 105 with an orange pad.
Did it get all the imperfections you wanted to get out ? Are there still some more left?

I recently did a black Honda Element that had been run hard, and put away wet all its life. 2 passes with 105 and an Orange pad gave me enough clarity and took out enough scratches that I was satisfied and went back over 1 more time with 205 and a White pad. It looked clear enough to be able to read a newspaper on the sides (if you can read backwards :) ), so I was done with paint correction.

Depending on your unique circumstances on that particular paint, it could use more 105, perhaps change to a different compound, etc..

The only thing I dont like about 105 or 205 is that is white and gets everywhere. I have not been able to figure out how to use it better..

Dan F

Old Pirate
08-05-2009, 02:43 PM
Is 3M ultrafina something I can get OTC?

Yes the PAC counter.........:biggrin:

imported_Luster
08-05-2009, 02:59 PM
The only thing I dont like about 105 or 205 is that is white and gets everywhere. I have not been able to figure out how to use it better..

Dan F

If you prime the pad really well before applying to the paint, you`ll get little or no splatter. I really massage the polish into the pad until it really soaks in. I have hardly any white residue on the paint surface or in the cracks. Also, I don`t use much polish.. I let the pad do most of the work.

Tuck91
08-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Yes, a little M205 goes a long way. Occasioanlly I will overapply the product to the pad and it will start raining M205 on me.

Claude
08-05-2009, 04:20 PM

All depends on the cut you want, i used M205 with Orange pad on my vehicle and worked out for me in removing some swirls.
First i tried it with a grey pad and it didn`t cut enough to get rid of the swirls, then i moved to the orange pad.

I also have the M105 both versions, I have used it with a Yellow pad, and it removed 1500 grit wet sanding very quickly. I haven`t tried it with an Orange pad, but I`m sure i will one day.

Always start with the least amount of cut. Like a Grey pad.

Good Luck
Claude

imported_RaskyR1
08-05-2009, 04:30 PM
I`ve had paints that finish down great with M205 and others need to be follow up with UF or PO85RD. I will always do a test spot. FWIW, I think most daily driver customers will be happy with the way M205 looks. Special interest cars or customers wanting perfection, I would at least do a test spot with UF or PO85RD after using the M205.

I thought M205 looked great on my personal car, it was only after Billy mentioned having UF finishdown better on an Acura NSX that I thought about giving it a try. It really did add a noticeable difference to the paint. :cornut:

Mustangous
08-05-2009, 05:21 PM
What pad are you guys using with m205? Instead of going to 3m UF, could you just go to a less aggressive pad, like black/gray LC pad after the white LC?
I have been using the white pad with the LC and I have been having great results. On MY DD i just used the m105 with an orange LC pad, followed up with a white LC pad with m205. Came out great. Then BFWD, and wow.. i like that stuff! :drool5: