PDA

View Full Version : Need Avice about polishing..

Altimazzz
07-13-2009, 08:39 PM
I have just recently acquired my PC7424xp. I have not used it to polish yet but have done one job of wax application with it. I was very impressed at how nice the paint looked using the machine. I put on Megs Gold Class liquid wax, then buffed it off with my Craftsman buffer and mf bonnets. Any way----I am preparing to do MY car first, it has minor swirls, nothing to bad. I have a bottle of M205 which I think will take care of my swirls. My ??? is----Do I need to strip the paint of all the waxes and other stuff before I polish?? I had planned on claying it prior of course.....Can I just use a 50/50 of Purple Power or some Simple Green to strip it??? This is my first time doing this so I am a little apprehensive about the process and dont want to screw it all the heck.....:huh::confused::confused:

imported_Luster
07-13-2009, 08:51 PM
I never strip off the old wax if I`m going to clay and polish.

Claybar should remove any wax from previous applications. The M205 + 7424XP should get the light swirls. For heavy swirls you may need to go with M105.

Good luck and take some before and after shots!

imported_glfahlc
07-13-2009, 08:59 PM
if i wanna make sure my car is completely free of any wax is to wash with dawn soap, clay it then wipe down with a 50/50 solution of isopropyl alchohol and distilled water. when you rinse that off there should be no remnants of wax left on the paint.

imported_Termigator
07-13-2009, 10:17 PM
M205 will make quick work of any wax left over from claying. IMO, there is no need to add extra steps in your process. I know a lot of people enjoy the process. I just enjoy the final result.:biggrin:

imported_RootsRadical
07-14-2009, 09:35 AM
if i wanna make sure my car is completely free of any wax is to wash with dawn soap, clay it then wipe down with a 50/50 solution of isopropyl alchohol and distilled water. when you rinse that off there should be no remnants of wax left on the paint.

I too use Dawn dishwashing soap to strip off all previous wax. I know that some people caution that using such a harsh soap can dry out weatherstripping and other trim. However, I`ve used it (or a similiar dishsoap) 2 or 3 times a year on all the vehicles I`ve owned in the last 19 years and have never noticed any negative effects. My opinion is that as long as your not washing your car too often with it, it`s not gonna hurt things. Plus, if you treat your trim with a protectant afterwards, it really shouldn`t hurt.

-J

imported_Luster
07-14-2009, 10:01 AM
I too use Dawn dishwashing soap to strip off all previous wax.

So, after a customer detail, especially if it`s not an enthusiast, maybe just a soccer mom..... I always tell them: Don`t use Dawn Dishwashing soap!!!!

Nine times out of ten, they`ll come back and say:

"Why not? That`s what I`ve been using for 10 years!!!:out:

Dawn does seem to be the "Gold Standard" among your "once-every-3-months-wash-in-the-driveway" crowd!!!!!:rofl:

TOGWT
07-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Washing-up Liquids (Detergent)

Dish washing liquids chemistry relies primarily on detergent and surfactant technology. This type of chemistry has advanced to the point that it can be engineered to specific soils (i.e. organic grease) Detergent and soap chemistry and product formulation is a lot more complicated than this, suffice it to say; modern car wash formulations are automotive soil specific.

I would not recommend using a harsh dishwashing detergent such as Dawn? on a regular basis, as they contain a degreaser, although most of them are approx pH 8.0 the other ingredients will tend to emulsify, breakdown and leach out oils found in rubber moulding, trim and the paint system, which causes the plasticizers to dry out and oxidize, causing them to lose their flexibility.

The MSDS indicates that this product contains sodium hydroxide, which is highly alkaline the same ingredient used in engine degreasers to chemically ?burn? hydrocarbon oils and grease from engine surfaces (sodium hydroxide) it will severely stain aluminium, magnesium, etc. It will emulsify, breakdown and leach out oils naturally found in your paint, and also any oils you have applied in the way of a polish or glaze.

Generally you should avoid the use of household cleaning products for automotive detailing as they are formulated for an entirely different type of cleaning. [Your car surface and the dirt that gets on it are a lot different from the food soils and dishes that dishwashing liquids clean effectively. We don`t recommend them for cleaning your car] [Proctor and Gamble]

An extract from one of a series of in-depth, unbiased detailing articles ? TOGWT ? Ltd Copyright 2002-2009, all rights reserved.

imported_Slik560
07-14-2009, 01:31 PM
I don`t strip off the old stuff unless I am going to use a different brand of polish/sealant/wax. When I do, I use a paint-prep spray solvent, then start the claying process. Otherwise, I just clay it again, Sam, and start in again. ;)

imported_RootsRadical
07-14-2009, 02:51 PM
So, after a customer detail, especially if it`s not an enthusiast, maybe just a soccer mom..... I always tell them: Don`t use Dawn Dishwashing soap!!!!

Nine times out of ten, they`ll come back and say:

"Why not? That`s what I`ve been using for 10 years!!!:out:

Dawn does seem to be the "Gold Standard" among your "once-every-3-months-wash-in-the-driveway" crowd!!!!!:rofl:

Very good point, Bill.