PDA

View Full Version : Waxing with a Dewalt 847 circular

Pages : [1] 2

d.manning
05-29-2009, 05:00 PM
Can you use a variable speed circular polisher to wax a car? I currently have a Dewalt 847 that i am using to compound & polish a 02 Buick century and a 99 Silverado 4x4 That have never been waxed,compounded or polished .

thanks for your time, Dave Manning

gmblack3
05-29-2009, 05:22 PM
I always apply LSPs (waxes and sealants) by hand. Some use a porter cable 7424 to apply LSPs.

You don`t want to use a rotary to apply a wax, but for compounding and polishing that is what a rotary is for.

d.manning
05-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks Bryan for your expert advice.

Tuck91
05-29-2009, 05:37 PM
Usually using a rotary buffer to apply wax leaves the paint with swirls. I learned the hard way with M21.

d.manning
05-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Usually using a rotary buffer to apply wax leaves the paint with swirls. I learned the hard way with M21.
Well i don`t want that LOL! What do you use to apply wax and sealants now,an orbital?

imported_Asphalt Rocket
05-29-2009, 06:16 PM
Just like Bryan said, leave the rotary to compounding and polishing. I also apply waxes and sealants by hand, have not seen any difference in time applying them by da or hand.

Tuck91
05-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Well i don`t want that LOL! What do you use to apply wax and sealants now,an orbital?

I just apply them by hand. I feel more comfortable waxing by hand too.

imported_glfahlc
05-29-2009, 08:22 PM
like the pros say"preparation of the paint is what makes the wax or lsp look good" i always compound and polish with a circular and wax by hand...

Old Pirate
05-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Just like what everyone is saying, only use my rotary for compounding and Polishing, Wax is always done by hand.......(Wax Waster):D

d.manning
06-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Well i came here for expert advice and the experts say Apply wax by hand...So apply by hand it is. You guys know what your talking about!
Now that we are talking wax, what is a high quality and reasonably easy to apply wax that i can use? And what kind do you use and why?

imported_Luster
06-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Now that we are talking wax, what is a high quality and reasonably easy to apply wax that i can use? And what kind do you use and why?

I started using sealants about 10 years ago for ease of application, ease of removal, shine, depth, protection, beading and longevity. I found that traditional "waxes" couldn`t compare to the new sealants in any of those categories (in my opinion, of course, I`m sure others will chime in with their favorite wax products!:thumbup:).

My favorite sealants are Blackfire and Zaino.

BTW... I apply both Blackfire and Zaino with a PC, LC Red pad, speed 3. Remove with PC, "any pad" with a soft-fluffy MF between the pad and the paint.:D

d.manning
06-04-2009, 09:45 PM
I started using sealants about 10 years ago for ease of application, ease of removal, shine, depth, protection, beading and longevity. I found that traditional "waxes" couldn`t compare to the new sealants in any of those categories (in my opinion, of course, I`m sure others will chime in with their favorite wax products!:thumbup:).

My favorite sealants are Blackfire and Zaino.

BTW... I apply both Blackfire and Zaino with a PC, LC Red pad, speed 3. Remove with PC, "any pad" with a soft-fluffy MF between the pad and the paint.:D

Um..I don`t want to appear stupid,But what is a pc and a lc red pad?:huh:

d.manning
06-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Ok a PC is a Porter cable polisher but what is that other thingy:out:

imported_Luster
06-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Ok a PC is a Porter cable polisher but what is that other thingy:out:

An "LC Red" is a Lake Country Red Pad for the Porter Cable. It`s very soft and is very good for applying wax, sealant, fine polish.

There are no stupid questions here! We`re here to help!!!:wink:

There are different pads for different purposes. The pad colors are different to make it easy to choose the correct pad for the job...

Click on this link for a good description of what each pad is used for:

http://properautocare.com/oeccste65inf.html

P.S. We sometimes get a little carried away with acronyms and abbreviations!!!! Sorry for any confusion!:redface::redface::redface:

TOGWT
06-05-2009, 07:23 AM
My favourite natural wax (medium price range) is P21S 100% Carnauba Wax. FWIW- I usually apply waxes by hand, rarely by orbital, never by rotary polisher

(Note: 100% is product name, not factual Carnauba wax content)