PDA

View Full Version : I know what I like! Blackfire

Pages : [1] 2

Junebug
04-27-2009, 12:09 PM
We`ve all read threads where the OP basically wrote a commercial for product "x" and you have to wonder what they got in return. Well, I`ve searched for years to find the best sealant, I`ve tried products from FK, Megs, Zaino, HiTemp, Optimum, DG,WG, Majestic Solutions, ClearKote, and others and none fit my "ideal". I want: easy to apply, easy to remove, great looks, no stain trim, and at least a month of no fading shine. Well, Blackfire sealant is it. I will look no further.

Now, my problem is - to top with Blackfire wax, part of me wants to - part of me says why mess with perfection. Even my wife noticed this product and insisted it go on her Highlander. (I was doing Souveran every 2 weeks on it)

Call me a product ho if you want, but all I can say is try it!

jpc
04-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Go for it ! ! I just did a b.f clay, polish sealant x2 and 3 coats of bf wax.
My car is looking better than new 99contour svt. i really like b.f.products.
The car really looks great. Looks wet . My .02

Old Pirate
04-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Hey Junebug, just try some Blackfire Midnight Sun on a panel and see if you like it. The more coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond ( 3-4) it will get wetter for you. Let us know........

imported_Termigator
04-27-2009, 06:47 PM
We`ve all read threads where the OP basically wrote a commercial for product "x" and you have to wonder what they got in return. Well, I`ve searched for years to find the best sealant, I`ve tried products from FK, Megs, Zaino, HiTemp, Optimum, DG,WG, Majestic Solutions, ClearKote, and others and none fit my "ideal". I want: easy to apply, easy to remove, great looks, no stain trim, and at least a month of no fading shine. Well, Blackfire sealant is it. I will look no further.

Now, my problem is - to top with Blackfire wax, part of me wants to - part of me says why mess with perfection. Even my wife noticed this product and insisted it go on her Highlander. (I was doing Souveran every 2 weeks on it)

Call me a product ho if you want, but all I can say is try it!

I`ve been a big Blackfire fan since 05`. I`ve never topped Blackfire with anything because I loved the look and slickness. Even when I had the intention of topping Blackfire with a carnauba, I always stopped because the look and slickness always blew me away.
That being said, I finally got some Midnight Sun and I`m hoping to do the Midnight Sun over Wet Diamond real soon.

I do have a question for anyone who might know: What`s the difference between the New Blackfire Wet Diamond and previous Blackfire All Finish other than Wet Diamond being polycharged?

SSTG
04-27-2009, 08:02 PM
I`ve been a big Blackfire fan since 05`. I`ve never topped Blackfire with anything because I loved the look and slickness. Even when I had the intention of topping Blackfire with a carnauba, I always stopped because the look and slickness always blew me away.
That being said, I finally got some Midnight Sun and I`m hoping to do the Midnight Sun over Wet Diamond real soon.

I do have a question for anyone who might know: What`s the difference between the New Blackfire Wet Diamond and previous Blackfire All Finish other than Wet Diamond being polycharged?

To add too this,can you shorten the curing times with the polycharge being added?

BIOLINK
04-28-2009, 01:02 AM
Hey Junebug, just try some Blackfire Midnight Sun on a panel and see if you like it. The more coats of Blackfire Wet Diamond ( 3-4) it will get wetter for you. Let us know........

+1 Try the Blackfire wax over the sealant. I love it. I used up my bottle of the Blackfire Sealant and have a bit more FMJ, which works well too. Love the wax over both. :devil:

Junebug
04-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Update - I bought a Kubota ZG327 (Goggle it) and after washing I applied Blackfire sealant. OK, I almost got stuck and wrapped up the machine with stinky black mud, one blast with the hose and it all came off, blew dry with my Redmax and it looked new again. Now that brothers and sisters is some great protection.

OK - I decided to try the wax this Thurs, weather permitting. Any special tips?

michakaveli
04-28-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the heads up JuneBug! This Blackfire sounds very promising

BIOLINK
04-28-2009, 08:19 AM
OK - I decided to try the wax this Thurs, weather permitting. Any special tips?

Wax on, wax off. You`ll have time to make a sandwich too because it doesn`t take that long to apply the wax. Your car will look like you worked your butt off, though. :D

Junebug
04-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Did I mention it`s a GTI? Shouldn`t take long, may do it tonight if I have time. Thanks for the tip!

BIOLINK
04-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Did I mention it`s a GTI? Shouldn`t take long, may do it tonight if I have time. Thanks for the tip!

Love the VW, might need a pic of the finished car.

Todd@RUPES
04-28-2009, 11:13 AM

Blackfire has be re-formulated 3 times. The original version was called `All Finish Paint Protection` and was the original sealant which featured a traditional German polymer.

When Menzerna was launched, CMA worked hard to develop a new sealant, one using a newly available acrylic based super polymer and FMJ was born. The performance was unbelievable, even compared to the original Blackfire. Hence the first reformulation in 2004 and the name change from `All Finish Protection` to `Wet Diamond`. The name change reflected the different appearance optics the new Blackfire had from the previous version. A lot of the technology from FMJ was introduced into the new Blackfire sealant.

In 2008 Blackfire Wet Diamond (previously All Finish) Paint Protection received its latest upgrade. The main difference in the formula being the additional of the catalyzing polymer. Slight changes where made to the acrylic super polymers as well. This is by far the best version of this sealant; durability and gloss have been improved measurably and most people who have compared it for me to the previous Blackfire versions tell me that while it is slightly more difficult to buff off it is far better looking, as slick as FMJ, and lasts a very long time.

Todd@RUPES
04-28-2009, 11:26 AM
To add too this,can you shorten the curing times with the polycharge being added?

Yes and no. Polycharger is a catalyzer and will shorten cure times. However, as most sealant manufactures have discovered, it is near impossible to catalyzed a sealant to the point of instant cure times and maintain a shelf life. The catalyzing agents acts to cure the sealant as it sits on the shelf, for a lack of a better term. Blackfire has a precise amount of polycharger blended to into the formula, enough to drastically improve the performance, while having no negative effect on shelf life or application.

That said you can still `amp` the product by adding additional polycharger into an ounce or so Blackfire directly before application. This is will shorten cure times significant and may increase the shine further. Keep in mind that the amount that you mixed with additional polycharger should be discarded after 24 hours or so.

Alternatively, if you have an older bottle of Wet Diamond (pre polycharger) you can add polycharger to that prior to application and receive many, although not near all, the benefits of the new formula. The new formula will still outperform it slight do to other changes in the base, but you will notice better performance none-the-less.

Todd@RUPES
04-28-2009, 11:34 AM
I took this from here (http://truthindetailing.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=301) as it relates to cure times with FMJ/Blackfire products

Just to clear up a couple definitions, or at least how I use the definitions...

Dry time/Haze time: This is the time from which a liquid sealant is applied to the paint to when the sealant has fully dried to a haze and is stable. At this point you can swipe a clean finger across the surface of the hazed surface, and it should swipe away a clean with no streaking. At this point the sealant can be removed from the surface.

Cure time: This is the time, after removal of the hazed residue, in which the chemical reaction of the sealant is fully completed. At this point the sealant will be at its brightest and offer the most amount of protection, in addition to be chemically stable enough to accept other coats of sealant or wax with full benefit.

Both the dry time and cure time are going to be dependent on a variety of factors. Cooler temperatures and higher humidity will tend to lengthen both the dry and cure time, where as excessively thick applications will lengthen the dry time. In drier and warmer climates the times will be shorter. CMA always recommends applying which ever wax or sealant of your choice as thin as possible, just enough to ensure even coverage over the surface.

Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant now features the Polycharger polymer which will decrease the amount of time required for dry time and cure time. The addition of Polycharger should give Blackfire an advantage over FMJ in this respect. At the very minimum, I recommend at least 4 hours between coats, although 12 hours is best. I have applied two coats of Wet Diamond Sealant back to back, with no streaking or ill effects, but I probably didn`t get the full benefit of two separate coats. The best rule of thumb is to wait as long as possible between coats, as it is possible that applying coats with in a four hour period could lead to some streaking.

Blackfire Midnight Sun Carnauba, batch 24, also features a slight polymer additive, designed to bite into even the slickest sealants and promote better bonding. This is why Midnight Sun seems to work well over every sealant. However it is a high percentage carnauba paste wax which requires some time to fully harden. The application of Blackfire is unique, as it is designed to be wiped away wet. Apply the wax to a section, like half of the hood, then immediately buff off to a deep shine. The high percentage of carnauba still needs some air time to fully harden. I personally recommend about two hours before adding another coat of wax, on top of a previous coat of wax, at the minimum. Due to time restrictions, I have applied two coats back to back of the Midnight Sun and once again, never had bad effect.

So, ideally we would allow as much time as absolutely necessary to allow the wax or sealant to harden or cure, to receive the maximum benefit.

The reason that two coats of each product are recommended is to achieve a uniform coverage over the surface. Since two coats, for this reason, are always recommended over one coat, if you don`t have time to wait, you can apply two coats back to back (try to give some time) to get a more even coverage. You likely won`t get the full benefit of having two coats, but you will still have more even coverage then one coat.

Another thing to keep in mind is that even one coat of either product provides great looks and protection. On my personal car where I don`t have the logistical situation to keep my car out of commission for 15 hours while I apply multiple coats of products, I apply one coat of Blackfire Wet Diamond Sealant after detailing. After my next wash, I will add an additional coats of Wet Diamond. After my next wash, I will will apply a coat of Midnight Sun, and that after the third wash, I will add an additional coat of wax.

Hope this helps!

Todd

imported_Termigator
04-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the info, Todd. However slight the differences may be between new and old Blackfire, I`m still glad I have older version of Blackfire. I like the smell!:D

Do you think they will ever upgrade FMJ? (And don`t say "yeah, it`s called Blackfire Wet Diamond!!);)